Author Topic: Programming and age  (Read 2490 times)

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
Programming and age
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:39:25 AM »
I've been thinking about something lately.  I'm just coming back to training after 15 years (20 years for serious training).  I never trained for powerlifting or strength back then, but I was pretty strong.  Back in those days I'd work up to a 4RM for a few sets then work back down.  No calculators or android apps, I'd just wing it from memory from what I did the week prior.  Usually I'd do sets of 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 to get there, do as many set at 4 as I could until I felt I couldn't do another the work back down.  Usually it was only for 1-3 sets of 4, but if it was a PR I was good with that.  Old school pyramid I guess.  Anything above 6 reps was basically warmups and the weights back down didn't match the weights I did to get there.  It was very high volume.  I never did 1RMs for fear of injury so I tracked progress by my 4RMs for bench and squat (didn't do deadlifts).  I made huge progress following this type or routine back in my glory days.

Question is, has anyone that has trained from their 20s into their 40s had to change much as far as programming?  I know recovery changes as we age, but does programming change at all?  Can I do what I did when I was 25 at 45 with similar results?

Offline Fiend_73

• Height: 6' 1"
  • Weight: 260
Re: Programming and age
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:48:43 AM »
Imo and experience when you are trying to get something back it is a good idea to do what you did the 1st time getting there...but better.

When you get there again, then introduce new principles (i.e supersets, rest/pause etc.) to break plateaus. 

and by better I mean tweaking the new program to perfection rather than "everything including the kitchen sink training" we did when we were younger.

Paying closer attention to each rep, maximizing the damage that can be done with good exercise choices (squats vs. lunges), and thorough warm ups are all part of this...even breathing properly.

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
I'm seriously considering going back to what I did when I was 25.  It worked then and strength wasn't even my goal.  The only change I will make is taking out all the fluff-n-puff shit I did back then like curls and leg extensions.  I'd concentrate only on the main barbell movements and variations and keep the philosophy of always trying to beat last weeks weight.  I will finish my current program first though.

Offline FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »
My training style is very close to what I did in my 20's and 30's.

Only difference is in my 20's I did squats twice a week.  Now I don't think I could do that.  But also back then I never did conventional deadlifts and now I do, so maybe that's the trade-off.

In my simplistic view of the world; if it worked for me then, why wouldn't it now?

The key is consistency over time.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »
Thanks guys.  When I was younger, I did push/pull/legs repeat over and over and took days off when schedule or my body told me to.  I never deadlifted back then so I need to find a way to squeeze them in there somewhere that won't affect squats.  I tried once to do them both the same day and it was horrible.  The problem I see is there is so much overlap in used muscles from squat and deadlift especially with me being a lowbar, wide-stance squatter (I got skinny legs and use all hips fer squatz I gis).  I can't figure a way to make this all work in a 3-4 day block and keep the frequency on bench that has been working for me..

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:28:34 AM »
Thanks guys.  When I was younger, I did push/pull/legs repeat over and over and took days off when schedule or my body told me to.  I never deadlifted back then so I need to find a way to squeeze them in there somewhere that won't affect squats.  I tried once to do them both the same day and it was horrible.  The problem I see is there is so much overlap in used muscles from squat and deadlift especially with me being a lowbar, wide-stance squatter (I got skinny legs and use all hips fer squatz I gis).  I can't figure a way to make this all work in a 3-4 day block and keep the frequency on bench that has been working for me..

I haven't trained from my 20's to 40's, but I have gotten away with a squat/DL day. I used to superset them, for low reps, around 10 sets total. Next day was always an off day and I was really sore. I tried to do that during a run with DC training and had to take 2 weeks off I was messed up so bad. Another program had me doing light squats/heavy deads one week and light deads/heavy squats, (on different days) the next week. That went fine. If you're more about strength than muscle, Sheiko is nice, always just a little sore, but not injury sore.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 09:47:14 AM »

I looked at some of the sheiko programs this past week.  I like the organization which is similar to what I'm doing now by hitting more than one lift a day.  My problem with sheiko is they don't a lot of volume at intensity (80%+); at least the ones I was directed too (#37,#30, and #32).  They all use percentages too, so I may miss out on good days when I'm feeling stronger.  At the end of the #32 cycle I'd be doing 5 set of 2 with 195 which I've done for 5x5-6 this past week.  And that's 12 weeks into the program as suggested running 37, 30, 32 (skipping #29 since I'm already doing volume).  Maybe at this early point in my lifting career I should focus more on weekly progress and hold off on percentage based programs until I start to slow down a bit on gains.  I might order the RTS manual and use it to come up with something.

Here's what I'm doing now:
Monday:  Deadlift, bench accessory, squat primary
Wednesday: Bench, deadlift primary, squat accessory
Friday:  Squat, bench primary, deadlift accessory

Primarys are variation of the competition lift like paused reps, changes in tempo or ROM (2-4ct paused bench, block or deficit pulls, 303 tempo movements, etc.).  I do these at a different higher rep-range and lower intensity than the competition lift from the previous workout.
Accessory work would be something that I'd used to work a weakness like CGBP or dips for triceps, RDLs for backside, etc.  These are higher rep work, low intensity.

I've had to change it up a little because deadlifting was on Fridays and I was too smoked from Wednesday RDLs to put much effort into them.  I moved deadlifts to Monday so I can put forth better effort with more recovery time prior to.