Author Topic: The great recipe thread  (Read 20487 times)

Offline jtroster

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 185 lbs
Plum Chutney
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »
This is an amazing chutney. We put it on fish, chicken, or veal. I don't bother to water process the jars. Instead I just keep them in the fridge.

Its from Saveur: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Plum-Chutney

INGREDIENTS

1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 1⁄2 cups golden raisins
1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1⁄3 cup grated peeled ginger
3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tbsp. salt
4 1⁄2 tsp. mustard seeds
2 1⁄2 tsp. red pepper flakes
4 lbs. Italian prune plums, pitted and quartered

1. Bring sugars and vinegar to a boil in a heavy medium pot over medium heat. Stir in raisins, onions, ginger, garlic, salt, mustard seeds, and pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. Stir in plums. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until chutney is dark and thick, about 3 3⁄4 hours.

2. Sterilize five 8-oz. canning jars, their lids and ring bands, and a widemouthed funnel in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a clean dish towel. Using the funnel, fill each jar with hot chutney to no more than 1⁄4" from rim. Wipe rims, place lids on jars, then screw on ring bands.

3. Using jar tongs, submerge filled jars in pot of gently boiling water (jars should be covered by a least 1" of water) and process for 10 minutes. Transfer jars to a dish towel at least 1" apart; let cool undisturbed for 24 hours. Test jars for a proper seal: press on center of each lid and remove your finger; if lid stays down, it's sealed.

4. Refrigerate any chutney that hasn't been sealed and use within 4 weeks.
Joel

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
Re: The great recipe thread
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 07:01:44 PM »
Chicken and Leek Cornish Turnover

Ingredients

Filling:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large leek, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch rounds
4 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
One 6-ounce Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Sauce:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk, at room temperature
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
1 large store-bought rotisserie chicken breast, shredded to yield 1 1/2 cups of meat
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dusting
One 9-inch square sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, beaten

Directions

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

For the filling: Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Cook the leeks until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots, mushrooms, potato, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir frequently until the vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.

For the sauce: Melt the butter over medium heat in a 1-quart saucepan. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Combine the vegetable mixture, sauce and chicken in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cool the filling completely, about 20 minutes.

Roll out the pastry into a 10-by-10-inch square on a lightly floured surface. Transfer the pastry to the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg using a pastry brush. Spoon the filling onto one side of the pastry. Fold the pastry over to encase the filling. Fold and crimp the edges of the pastry together to seal the filling. Brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg. Cut a 1/2-inch-long slit in the top of the pie using a paring knife.

Bake until puffed and golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes and slice into 4 pieces.
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline LisaSkinnoble

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »
Provençal Tomato Quiche

1. Pre-bake a pie shell. Store-bought is just fine.

2. Base: Blend ˝ cup kalamata olives to a coarse paste.

3. Filling: Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan, then sautée
 -2 cloves of garlic, minced
 -2 medium onions, sliced thinly
 until the onions are cooked but not browned.

Add 2 cups tomato purée and cook the mixture until it is very thick and the water has almost evaporated. Season the mixture with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper, oregano and thyme.

Let the filling cool almost to room temperature, then stir in 1 whole egg, 3 egg yolks and ˝ cup minced fresh parsley.

4. Grate some parmesan cheese and slice 1-2 fresh tomatoes.

5. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Assemble the quiche- layer the olive paste at the bottom of the prebaked pie shell, then pour in the filling, scatter the cheese and arrange the tomato slices. Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.

6. Bake the quiche for 30-40 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

Offline LisaSkinnoble

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »
Low-Cal Turkey and Bean Chili

Ingredients

1 cup chopped red onion 
1/3 cup  chopped seeded poblano pepper (about 1) 
1 teaspoon  bottled minced garlic 
1 1/4 pounds  ground turkey
1 tablespoon  chili powder 
2 tablespoons  tomato paste 
2 teaspoons  dried oregano 
1 teaspoon  ground cumin 
1/4 teaspoon  salt 
1/4 teaspoon  black pepper 
1   (19-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained 
1   (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained 
1   (14-ounce) can fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth 
1/2 cup  chopped fresh cilantro 
6   lime wedges 

Preparation
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add first 4 ingredients; cook for 6 minutes or until turkey is done, stirring frequently to crumble. Stir in chili powder and next 8 ingredients (through broth); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

Note:
Tip: To save time, chop off the top of a washed cilantro bunch rather than picking individual leaves. The thin stems toward the top are very tender.

Makes 6 one-cup servings at 211 cals each.

Offline LisaSkinnoble

30-Minute Healthy Spicy Chicken and Rice
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »
I ran this through myfitnesspal.  If you consider it 4 servings - that's a large portion - it is 473 calories per serving. 

Rice
1/2 cup wild rice
3/4 cup basmati rice
2 1/2 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth

Cajun Chicken and Peppers
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
1 tablespoon creole seasoning
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 large orange pepper, chopped
1/2 a onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish

Instructions
1.To start the rice. Add the water to a medium size soup pot. Bring to a low boil and then add the rice and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and then place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to the lowest setting possible. Allow the rice to cook ten minutes on low and then turn the heat off completely and let the rice sit on the stove, covered for another 20 minutes (don't take any peeks inside!). After 20 minutes remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Note that rice can cook differently for everyone, this is just what works for me.
2.Meanwhile heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. In a small bowl combine the cajun seasoning, creole seasoning, brown sugar, pepper, cayenne, sweet paprika and dried thyme.
3.Add the chicken and the spice mixture to the skillet and give it a good toss. Then spread the chicken in an even layer and allow it to cook, without stirring for 2-4 minutes. Then stir the chicken and add the soy sauce, continue cooking another 5 minutes or until the chicken is browned all over and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
4.Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the red pepper, orange pepper, onion and garlic. Stir fry the veggies for about 5-10 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the chicken back to the skillet and toss well. Now stir in the diced tomatoes and simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and add the chicken mixture to the rice. Toss well and serve! Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.

Offline jtroster

Gluten-free Orange Cake
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »
2 large oranges, washed
6 eggs, beaten
8 oz. ground almonds
8 oz. sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder

Boil oranges in water in a covered saucepan for 1 1/2 hours. Allow to cool, then cut open, remove seeds and chop roughly. Preheat oven to 375şF. Butter a springform cake pan. Blend oranges and remaining ingredients thoroughly in a food processor. Pour batter into prepared tin. Bake for 1 hour. If cake is still very wet, bake a little longer. Cool in pan before gently turning out.
Joel

Offline jtroster

My Mother's Cabbage Borscht
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 09:04:10 AM »
Ingredients:

2 onions, chopped
1 pound piece of flanken (beef short ribs)
1 cabbage, chopped into about 1 inch squares.
4 red beets, quartered and sliced
2 stalks Celery, sliced
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 large can tomato juice
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 lemon, juiced and the seeds removed from the lemon halves
2 bay leaves
Salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste

Put a little olive oil into the bottom of a large soup pot and brown the onions and flanken. Add enough water to cover the beef and bring to a boil. Skim off the guck that floats to the top of the water. Add all the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Let cook about 2 hours until the cabbage is tender. Adjust the seasonings. It should be sweet and sour with a little hot. Add more brown sugar, lemon juice and hot sauce as needed. Discard the bay leaves and the lemon halves.
Joel

Offline LisaSkinnoble

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »
One-Pot Cheesy Sausage Pasta

A great pasta dish for cold nights.  And only one pot to clean up!

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb Smoked Turkey Sausage, sliced (I used Italian sausage because that is what I had on hand)
1 cup diced onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic (about two fresh cloves)
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
8 oz dry pasta (any small pasta will do)
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese
1/3 cup chopped scallions, for garnish

Instructions
1.Add olive oil to a 4-5 quart sauté pan over medium high heat. Add onions and sausage and cook until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
2.Add chicken broth, tomatoes, milk, pasta, and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
3.Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover for about five minutes to allow cheese to melt. Top with sliced scallions and serve.
4.Makes about 4 servings.

Offline LisaSkinnoble

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »
Bacon Onion and Cheddar Biscuits

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1˝ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Ľ cup butter
10 slices bacon fried
1 egg
˝ cup milk
4 tbsp vegetable oil
˝ onion chopped
1˝ cups shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
2.Fry the bacon then the onion. Chop up the bacon in small pieces.
3.In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut in the butter until the butter is mixed in well.
4.In a small bowl mix the milk, egg, and vegetable oil then add the wet ingredients into the flour mixture.
5.Add the bacon, onion, and cheddar to the mixture and mix everything well together.
6.Roll out the dough so that it's about ľ of an inch in thickness and using a 2" cookie cutter, cut it into biscuits. Bake for 25 min.
7.This recipe yields 12 biscuits

Offline LisaSkinnoble

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:39 AM »
Pork with Paprika, Mushrooms and Sour Cream

1 lb. pork loin, fat trimed and cut into cubes about 1 inch square (I used 4 thick pork loin chops)
1 T + 1 T sweet paprika (use Hungarian or Spanish paprika in a tin for best flavor)
salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning pork
2-3 T olive oil (depending on your pan)
8-12 oz. crimini or white mushrooms, washed and cut into thick slices
1 onion, finely chopped
1 T finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried caraway seeds, ground or crushed (optional, but good)
1 can petite dice tomatoes plus juice (14.5 oz. can)
1/2 cup chicken stock
2/3 cup light sour cream

Trim all visible fat from pork chops or pork loin roast, then cut meat into cubes about 1 inch square.  Put pork in a bowl and toss with 1 T sweet paprika, salt, and fresh ground black pepper.

Heat 1 T olive oil in a heavy frying pan with a tight-fitting lid.  Brown pork over medium-high heat, turning several times so all sides are nicely browned, about 5-6 minutes.  Remove pork to another dish and add 1 T more olive oil to the pan, add sliced mushrooms and cook until nicely browned and all liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes more.  Remove mushrooms to same dish with the pork.

Add a little more olive oil if needed, then add chopped onion and cook until just starting to brown, about 3-5 minutes.  Then add minced garlic, other 1 T paprika, dried thyme, and ground or crushed caraway seeds (if using) and cook about 1-2 minutes.  Add petite diced tomatoes with juice and chicken stock, bring to a simmer, and cook about 10 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly thickened and flavors are well-blended.

After 10 minutes add the browned pork cubes and mushrooms back into the pan, cover and simmer about 10 minutes more, or until pork is hot and cooked through. Turn off heat, stir in sour cream, and serve hot.  I served it over egg noodles. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:45:59 AM by LisaSkinnoble »

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 09:51:33 AM »
^^^  That was good stuff.

Solid fuel for an early morning squat session the next day.   :)
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline jtroster

Maple Teriyaki Salmon
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »
My wife loves this recipe. We have it at least once a month.

Ingredients
- 1 side of salmon cut into serving sized portions
- 1/3 Cup each soy sauce, dry white wine, and maple syrup.
- olive oil

Mix together the soy sauce, dry white wine, and maple syrup. Marinate the salmon in it for 30 minutes. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Fry the salmon skin side down until you can see that it is cooked about 1/3 up from the pan. Turn the salmon over and pour the marinade into the pan. Let cook until the salmon is again cooked 1/3 up from the pan. Remove salmon from the pan on to a serving plate. Continue to boil the marinade until it cooks down to a medium-thick syrupy sauce. Pour the sauce over the salmon and serve.

Joel

Offline tobymax

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 169
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 04:37:48 PM »
That sounds really good, jroster.  I'v'e been doing something similar with 1/4 cup each of soy, teriaki, and worcestershire sauces, and brown sugar.    Yours with the white wine and maple syrup sounds even better. 
PRs:
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh
Leg Press 670x2 - 12/10/15

Offline peacesells

• Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 205
Re: Maple Teriyaki Salmon
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
My wife loves this recipe. We have it at least once a month.

Ingredients
- 1 side of salmon cut into serving sized portions
- 1/3 Cup each soy sauce, dry white wine, and maple syrup.
- olive oil

Mix together the soy sauce, dry white wine, and maple syrup. Marinate the salmon in it for 30 minutes. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Fry the salmon skin side down until you can see that it is cooked about 1/3 up from the pan. Turn the salmon over and pour the marinade into the pan. Let cook until the salmon is again cooked 1/3 up from the pan. Remove salmon from the pan on to a serving plate. Continue to boil the marinade until it cooks down to a medium-thick syrupy sauce. Pour the sauce over the salmon and serve.

My wife makes the same thing but with honey instead of syrup. 

Offline jtroster

Kosher Cioppino
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
Cioppino is an Italian fish and seafood stew. To make it kosher I only used fish instead of seafood.

This is great with some crusty bread.

Ingredients

• 2 large onions, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
  • 3-4 anchovy fillets
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 cups dry white wine
  • 4 cups chopped drained canned tomatoes (San Marzano is the best)
  • 2 potatoes cut into small dice.
  • 1 litre fish stock or water
  • 2 pounds fish cut into chunks (use thick meaty white fish, like halibut.)
  • Hot sauce to taste
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded

Directions

• Over medium heat saute onion, garlic, herbs, and bay leaves in the oil - 5-10 minutes.
  • Add anchovy fillets - cook 5 minutes - they should break up.
  • Add white wine - boil and reduce by 1/2 (house will smell great by now!)
  • Add tomatoes and potatoes - cook 10 - 15 minutes. Add hot sauce to taste.
  • Add stock or water and bring to a boil.
  • Add fish - cook gently 10 minutes.
  • Stir in basil.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:51:02 PM by jtroster »
Joel