Author Topic: 18 months I've been doing (or trying) deadlifts, and my form still sucks - video  (Read 1585 times)

Offline tobymax

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 169
Aargh!

My own sense of my body and form is failing me.  When I do these I FEEL like my back is straight and stiff as a board, and I FEEL I'm doing one fluid motion of pulling up and back.  But when I see the video, I clearly see otherwise.  It looks like I'm doing a demi-squat followed by a good morning.

I think whatever I'm doing now is better than what I was doing before.  I used to ache and have DOMS in my lower back after deadlifts, but at least I seem to have corrected that.  Now it feels more like a full body exercise rather than a lower back exercise.  Maybe I'm slowly getting there.

My upper back always looks rounded in videos, even when it feels straight to me while doing the exercise.  It seems like my upper back has always been like that, ever since I was gymnast as a kid and teenager.  Years of poor posture, maybe?

I've been watching BH's latest deadlift video trying to copy his form, but damn... I think I need to hire a personal deadlift coach.

Oh yeah, check out the new workout shoes.  Saucony Bullets.  Saucony calls them a casual shoe (as opposed to the running shoes that they are famous for).  Super thin and flexible soles.  I really like them for the gym.  $32.95 at DSW.

Deadlifts - I think my form is bad

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:47:54 PM by tobymax »
PRs:
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh
Leg Press 670x2 - 12/10/15

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
form does not look bad to me, feet look awful close together though
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Your form doesn't look bad really.   Don't worry about your upper back rounding, that's not an issue, as long as your lower back is flat your fine.  The main problem I see is your butt is moving before the rest of your body.  In regards to the motion, instead of thinking pulling up and back.  Think more of Pulling up and driving your hips forward.  Also, maybe ditch the shoes altogether and try barefoot.  You really don't want a lift on your heels and want to have your heels on the ground so your weight is sitting back and not leaning forward.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:15:36 PM by Get-n-fit »
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
I am no deadlift form expert, but it looks to me like on the first few reps you are trying to lift the weight with your arms.

Try to think of your arms as just hooks and use your legs and back to do the lifting.

Also agree with Brother Bando that your feet look a little close together; you're doing a power movement, so take a power stance.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline tobymax

Thanks for the input and advice. 

Now that I think of it, you're right Flex I was using my arms.  I swear this is the first time I've done it that much, and sure enough I get called out on it.  On the prior set I scraped my shin pretty good, and my reflex reaction was to use my arms to control the bar past my shins.  Good catch.

Pull up and drive hips forward.  Got it.  Think about pulling the shoulder blades together?  I've read that advice several places.

I do really like those new shoes, but yeah, there is a tiny lift on the heels.  I have some other completely flat soled shoes; maybe I should stick with those.  Of course I go to a gym with a rule about wearing shoes, but I've done them shoeless at other gyms, and liked it.
PRs:
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh

Offline Get-n-fit

our gym has a rule that shoes must always be worn, but several guys kick their shoes off when DL'ing and then put them back on when they are done.  It doesn't hurt that the DL/squat area is a long ways from the offices so they can't see us. 
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
Yes, your form need MAJOR work. (not being mean, but better to build from a solid foundation)

First off.....you weight transfer is completely off.   You are on the balls of your feet, and that is causing the any number of issues that come after it (early rising hips, bar drifting from shins...etc).    It all starts with weight transfer.   Watch your vid in full size and stare at your heels.   You can see them come up when you lift and when you set the bar down.   That means weight is transferring though your balls of your feet.

Correct this issue first and the rest will start to fall into place.

As an illustration, you can see is clear in this vid.   My form drifts in and out of 'good' form.   At first look, all my reps look similar but if you watch my toes, you can see the real story.  You can see where I get sloppy and bring some weight transfer to my toes.   The ones that are good, all the weight is on my heels and my toes dont 'dig in'.   So much of the wight transfer is my heels, that my toes come off the ground at the top of the lift.   Hope this helps illustrate what I am talking about.

405 x 20 (2x bw)

I am no expert, but here is my advice.....   Start with the setup.   First off....pull BACK not up.   When you are pulling properly on a dead, if you were to let go of the bar on your initial drive, you would fly BACKWARDS not just stand up.   This is hard to visualize for a lot of guys, but you have to trust that the weight will not let you fall back.   This initial pull back, starts the weight transfer properly.

When driving, visualize pushing the floor away from you with your heels.   If I put a piece of paper under the ball of your feet, I should be able to slide it out while you are driving.   Trust in the weight, and start pulling BACK first.

Try this and post a vid.   See how different it works for you.   Remember, you should want to fall BACK if you let go....NOT stand up.

Feet look fine to me.   Look how close mine are.   You want your feet in far enough that your arms can hang straight down from your shoulders.   Any angle in your arms to go around your legs, means you have to bend over further.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:29:33 PM by induced_drag »

Offline Get-n-fit

Dam good Eye ID!!  now that I look closer I can see the heels popping on the initial drive.  I tend to be cautious in telling people to pull back just bc I see too many leaning backwards at the top of the pull instead of driving the hips forward to complete the lift. But you are absolutely correct, if you were to let go of the bar you should fly backwards.
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline tobymax

Wow, thanks for the awesome analysis and advice,  ID.  I'll work on it.
PRs:
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh