Author Topic: Anyone Tried RTS?  (Read 5531 times)

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
Anyone Tried RTS?
« on: July 01, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
I'm thinking of changing up programs after my next meet.  RTS looks like it may be a viable option.  No deloads, auto-regulated, but very complicated to get a handle on.  It looks like honesty with your performance will be the hardest part.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Anyone Tried RTS?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
Details?

Link?

:S
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
Here's a review of the program and a pretty good explanation.  http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/a-review-of-mike-tuchscherers-reactive-training-systems-rts/

The website:  http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/

Basically, the way I understand it, is you work up to a weight at your prescribed reps with one rep left in the tank.  They have a complicated way of rating these called an RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion). Once you figure that out, you can accurately calculate your "max that day".  On a good strong day it'll be higher than a day where you might be sleep deprived or whatnot. Take 5% off the bar and hit your prescribed reps for as many sets as you can until you only had one more rep left.  For example, lets say you worked up to 500lbs on squat, did your 5 reps  but felt that you could have gotten one more.  Take the bar down to 475lbs (which you should be able to do that 6-7 reps if you had to) and do set after set until you get your 5 reps but would not have been able to do more than 6.  At this point, you've fatigued 5% and are done.  As you get stronger, and your body acclimatizes to volume, it may take many more sets.  Whether it took 3 sets or 8, you've still fatigued 5%.

It seems like it is a good program for dealing with good and bad days and still get work done and never be able to overtrain.  But as you can see, you have to be honest with yourself with how many reps you left in the tank.  Over estimate and your actual work sets may be too heavy.  Under estimate by pussing out and taking the easy way out and you've just lied to yourself.

The reason I came to this is I've been having a lot of problems sleeping lately.  Could be to overtraining as I'm also getting a lot of achy joints and pains.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »
Thanks for the link.  Looks very interesting.  I will read more tonight.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 01:43:12 PM »
Seems over complicated to me. If you try it let us know how it works out for you.

Always interested to hear what people think of programs.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
Seems over complicated to me. If you try it let us know how it works out for you.

Always interested to hear what people think of programs.
It's more the philosopy of the RPE system than the actual program I'm interested in.  I'd guess once you learn to listen to your body it'd be pretty simple.  I'm thinking of keeping the same exercises i am doing now, but instead of walking into the gym with prescribed weights regardless of how my body feels that day, use RPE instead.  If I'm feeling good, heavy weights and sets.  If I feel like shit because work pissed me off or I didn't sleep or eat right, still get work done without stressing over it.

The periodization part is interesting too though.  Instead of just running 5/3/1D/5/3/1 over and over, I could run 5 reps for weeks, then drop to 3 reps for weeks, then doubles and singles leading into a meet and actually peak.  5/3/1 has you peaking every 4 weeks.  I don't think that's a good powerlifting strategy.

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:11:40 AM »
More readin'.  An article on T-nation by Mike T.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/how_to_modulate_intensity

In this article, it recommends tracking RPE's before you start using them to structure the program.  I'm going to start this tomorrow or Thursday when I decide to get back to training.  Probably on Thursday though.

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:06:03 AM »
Your above explanation makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the new link. I'm gonna give that a read.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 07:19:51 AM »
I'm not honest enough with myself to even consider a flexible program like that.  I struggle enough with mediocrity.  And I've had plenty of sessions where I'm dragging ass through the first two movements and then something clicks in and the rest is frickin awesome.

Long story short,  I know myself well enough to know it wouldn't work for me,  but you know you and what works for you.

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 12:07:37 AM »
So now that my meet is over, I decided to change things up a little bit.  I made some decent gains on 5/3/1, but I wasn't too happy with the lack of frequency.  Squats progressed pretty well, but bench and deadlift really didn't go far.  Even when I was in bulk mode, I didn't put a lot of lbs on them.  I read and read about program after program.  I read into RTS and learned about using RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion), Prelipin's chart, periodization, etc.  I read up on Lilly's Cube method, Madcow, Texas method, Lillibridge , Westside, until I was tired.   I was completely turned off by Westside since competition lifts aren't even done much.  I read that was because it was for geared lifters.  Some were more philosophies than programs but most programs only dedicated one day per week to the main lifts and did the accessory work the same day.  When I put everything into my main lift, I don't have much left for accessory work on those same parts that same day.  When I'm done, I'm done.

So what I came up with was a way to train my competition lifts once per week, but to add in frequency, a second day is used to train a variation of the lift (primary lift).  I will use RPE principles to regulate volume thus preventing overtraining.  I'll work up to a max for the day at the specified rep range, then strip off 4-6% of the weight and do sets until I can only complete the required reps with nothing left in the tank.  For example, today's squats were for scripted for 5 reps.  I worked up to a set of five with 295 where I only had one more rep in the tank (I could have done 1 more, but probably not 2).  This is considered an RPE of 9 on the RPE scale.  So I take about 5% off the bar and bring it down to 280.  I did set after set at 280 until I reached the point where I could have done 6, but probably not 7 reps.  At this point, I have fatigued 5% and I am done with the exercise.  So with today's workout I did 275x5@8, 295@9, 280@8, 280@8, 280@8.5, 280@9 for a total of 6 working sets of 5.  Using RPE you have to be honest 100%.  Each set is done as explosive as possible.  Next week, I'll shoot for 300-305 as a max set to keep me reaching.

This is what I came up with.  Weeks 1-4 are volume for building muscle while still working a little bit on strength.  Weeks 5-7 are beginning to train that muscle to be used for strength.  Weeks 7-8 are pure CNS training trying to get every fiber to fire to complete the rep.  All three lifts are hit every workout except for weeks 8-9.

Weeks 1-4 (x5 for competition lifts and primary, x8 for accessory)
Day 1:  Competition squat w/ sleeves, CGBP, 2" deficit deadlift
Day 2:  303 tempo squat, competition bench, RDL - notice I don't do bench first trying to keep a somewhat contest order.
Day 3:  Competition deadlift, touch-n-go bench, front squat
Day 4:  GPP where I have fun and do light work to work on weaknesses.  I'll be doing a lot of posterior chain and tricep work here.

Weeks 5-7 (x3 for competition and primary, x6 for accessory)
Day 1:  Competition squat w/ sleeves, weighted dips, paused deadlift
Day 2:  2ct paused squats, competition bench, good mornings
Day 3:  Competition deadlift, 2ct paused bench, zercher squat
Day 4:  GPP

Weeks 8-9 (singles for competition, triples for primary, dedicated days & no accessories to reduce volume)
Day 1:  Competition squat w/ wraps, 3ct paused squat
Day 2:  Competition bench, 3ct paused bench
Day 3:  Competition deadlift, block pulls
Day 4:  very light GPP

Week 10 (test/meet)
Sunday:  2-3 sets of 95% of goal 1rm on all lifts
Tuesday 5x5 @ 50% of 1RM on all lifts
Saturday:  test/meet

evaluate/repeat

I'm trying to score a GHD and if I do, I'll do those in addition at the end of squat and deadlift days.

Offline djflex

• Hey, you gonna finish that sandwich ?
  • Height: 5 6
  • Weight: Pleasantly plump
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Reading the ebook powerlifting to win now. Interesting, but im a little slow and will probably have to read again
Carrots may be good for your eyes,
But booze will double your vision

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 10:58:52 PM »
Reading the ebook powerlifting to win now. Interesting, but im a little slow and will probably have to read again
The more I use RPEs, the more comfortable I'm getting.  Every week I try to go a little bit heavier and try to get to a 9 RPE faster.  A weird thing I've noticed is I sometimes feel stronger a few sets in.  This is especially the case with bench press.  I have already had to change up a few things on what I listed above.  RDLs on Wednesday were killing me for deadlift Fridays so I moved deadlifting to Monday and shuffled some stuff around.  Also, I'm going to lower the max RPE for the primary exercises.  I'll shoot for an RPE of 8 then drop the weight 5% and work back to 8 again.  Going to 9 was difficult to get enough volume since I just did the competition lift 2 days prior.

Offline djflex

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 07:26:49 PM »
I think feeling stronger a few sets it is normal, at least it is for me. I warm up in a wierd way now and have incorporated what i call a weight acclimation set or sets . Lol

If i ever end up running this , i may hit you up for a few questions. However it takes me forever to read these and may re read several time before trying

Offline djflex

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »
Ok, after skimming through most of this program the RPE may not be that confusing. If i read this right you just follow the outline and start yourself off as a novice and the move into the regulated phases.

One thing that was interesting was the assustance. As many as you can get in seven minutes on the Gpp days. That seems appealing for some reason