Author Topic: Your weakest link, and how you overcame it.  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Meatpants

• Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 200
Your weakest link, and how you overcame it.
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »
Just wondering what folks have done to battle a lagging, or stubborn muscle group.

For me it would have to be my quads.  I have broke my routine up to hit quads and calf one day, then hams and calf, with an additional quad exercise a few days later.  The thought process being that I could push harder on quad day, and not have to worry about saving energy for hams on the same day.  I also had to dial it back on the weight, and focus on contraction and form.

So what have others done in this area?

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Your weakest link, and how you overcame it.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
For me it was legs.  Always my weakest bodypart when I started.

I hammered my quads twice a week, doing squats first then leg press one day, and then leg press first and either squats or hack slides the second day.

Tons of SLDL to support the squats, and hamstring curls on both days.

Calves I trained them 3 days a week until they caught up.

With a screenname like Meatpants, you getter step up your game, T.  :D
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Ambush

• Never Give Up
  • Height: 6'4"
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:00:53 PM »
SLDL are just an enormous exercise, man they really tax the entire body. I didn't think I was making as much progress using them as I actually was. I didn't realize it until I went to do some hamstring curls about a month later and practically swung the bar into my ass. Thinking "wow" those sldl's really are getting those hams stronger than I thought.

Anyways mine is chest, I took some advice Flex gave me a long time ago and added some additional chest work in on a non lifting day, chest day I do 5 sets of flat barbell, 4 sets incline barbell, 3 sets pec deck and 3 sets decline cable fly's. Sounds like a lot I know but the pec deck and cable fly's while I do them as heavy as I can still are not that taxing compared to the barbell. Then a couple days later I do 3 sets of dumbbell flat and 3 sets dumbbell incline, with forearms, and ab work.
I am my own hero.

Offline djflex

• Hey, you gonna finish that sandwich ?
  • Height: 5 6
  • Weight: Pleasantly plump
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »
Well im kinda pudgy right now but.....

My weak point is calves, being going 2-3 times a week to bring thrm up. Trying a super heavy w/o then a high rep one
Carrots may be good for your eyes,
But booze will double your vision

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:24:42 PM »
Not sure but I think by "bringing up" you mean size not strength.

For me I just had to dump lifts that I liked for lifts that worked. I wanted big traps and so I would hammer them with trap bar shrugs, did it for a year. They did wonders for my shoulders but my traps took no notice. Bodyhard recommended a w/o that included heavy deads till failure, said "just trust me, they will grow." He was right.

Just gotta step outta your comfort zone and do hard work in ways you don't want to do it sometimes.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Slow_Progress

• 925 3 lift combo...not sure what my goal is now.
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 185.0
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »
Change the rep range.  If I'm stuck in a rut in the 8-12 range, I drop to 4-6 and go as heavy as I can.  If I get stuck around 6-8 reps, I go back up to 10-12 reps and let the different energy pathways catch up.  Right now I'm lifting the most weight I've ever moved in my life.  I'm okay with the weights, so I'm trying to push into the higher rep range to allow endurance and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy to catch up.  Once I feel like I'm crushing the weights in the 10-12 rep range, I'll drop back down to 4-6 and try to get stronger again.  I like alternating between Max-OT type training and just standard linear progression based on reps.
Optimus est non satis

Offline Marius

• User Title
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 193 Pounds
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »
First off, I'll apologize for answering from a performance standpoint rather than a muscle growth standpoint. However, take it for what it's worth as size and strength relate to each other.

My biggest problem is my bench press. It's always been my relatively weakest lift. The way I brought it up and continue to work on it to keep up with my other lifts is high-volume overhead press and pause- and speed-work on the barbell bench press. It seems to work pretty well for me.
TMonkey is one Bad Ass Mother Fucker.

Offline Meatpants

• Height: 5'11"
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »
All good thoughts.  I do very the rep scheme up on a regular basis.  I usually will have keep working sets at 10-12 for two exercises, and one exercise in the 6-8 rep range, for each muscle group.  I shuffle the exercises and rep schemes each week.

Yes Jim, I know. :)  Thats how I came up with the name.  Old guy used to see me hitting legs often, and ask me how my meat pants were coming along.  They still remain my hardest to get growth from. :(

Offline hochspeyer

• Desert Shield/Storm and Psychic Wars Veteran
    • A homegrown DBA exploring #notsobigdata
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 244
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »
First off, I'll apologize for answering from a performance standpoint rather than a muscle growth standpoint. However, take it for what it's worth as size and strength relate to each other.

My biggest problem is my bench press. It's always been my relatively weakest lift. The way I brought it up and continue to work on it to keep up with my other lifts is high-volume overhead press and pause- and speed-work on the barbell bench press. It seems to work pretty well for me.
Not much of a seasoned vet here, but the bench still my weak spot, and I have a stupid injury because of that. I think perseverance and tenacity will go a long way towards bringing things up, but mixing it up will help as well. For example, my squat is okay (for my stage of progress/development), but it didn't really increase until I hurt my shoulder benching; and, I was also babying my knee.With my messed up shoulder, I couldn't really perform a back squat, so I tried Zerchers, and started hitting PR's. I believe the increased squat also complimented my deads. 
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja: