Author Topic: MD State Prep  (Read 101027 times)

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
Re: BLKs Training Journal
« Reply #225 on: May 14, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »
I think the 165 is in your reach for this meet. I do think there will be a need for water manipulation going into the meet to make weight.

There are several ways to go about this, and in order for you to be as strong as you can going in, I would suggest taking some fat off very quickly, very soon. It seems you have a solid foundation in dieting, so I think a solid strategy is what you need. Here is an alternative that I think will help you get to where you want to be.

My take

Start a very aggressive 3 week diets as soon as possible. While a steep deficit can be difficult to adhere to and hurt strength, if you keep it short and stay on point with macros you won't have to worry about lean mass loss associated with longer deficits. Keeping it aggressive will also get you back to a maintenance diet all that much faster. A 3 week diet is also much easier to adhere to when you are only counting down the days.

This will give you a month and a half of strength training in a fed state.

Then give yourself between 2-4 days to deplete before the meet to make weight (time dependent on method used and amount needed to lose).

IMO, 10-12 pounds is very possible with a fast 3 week diet.

Sounds like a good idea AC.  I think that's where I screwed up before my last meet.  When I first registered I decided on a slow cut of about 1lb a week.  It was fine for about a couple of weeks or so then my lifts started taking a beating.  I was also an idiot and actually increased lifting volume not thinking right.  That probably had more to do with my lifts dropping.  I then decided my first meet should be about PRs so I dropped the cut and ate trying to gain weight fast.  I gained about 10 lbs in 50 days eating dirty. 

Today I was 175.0 thanks to going out with my Jeep club for dinner.  Today I'm back on goal with 1988 calories, 83c/68f/270p but I think I'll drop that 2000 calorie limit down a little at a time over the next few days to 1750.  2000 limit is giving me 1lb a week loss.

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
I gained about 10 lbs in 50 days eating dirty. 

I can do that in a weekend, lol
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »
I did that in one day.  14lbs to be exact. :D

Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »
I gained about 10 lbs in 50 days eating dirty. 

I think I did most of that gain early and started to slack off when I started seeing the scale hitting 180+ on a few days.:o
I can do that in a weekend, lol

I did that in one day.  14lbs to be exact. :D

I may be doing that in August.  Feeling tired already.  :-\

86 days 'til competition

Cycle 4, Week 1 - DEADLIFT DAY 3/3/3+
Weight:  174.8

CONVENTIONAL DEADLIFTS
   Warmups:
   145 x 5
   145 x 5
   175 x 5
   210 x 3
   225 x 2
   Worksets
   280 x 3
   295 x 3
   315 x 3 +4 (7) :(
SPEED DEADLIFTS
   185 x 3 (EliteFTS shorty red band)
   185 x 3 (EliteFTS shorty green band)
SUMO DEADLIFTS
   185 x 10
   185 x 10
   185 x 10
   185 x 10
   185 x 10
AB WHEEL

I felt good on the first couple of reps and thought I'd hit my 9 rep goal.  Started getting really heavy around 5 or so.  Leading into that lift, I was considering loading up the 390 I missed in my meet to see if the form change would allow me to make that lift.

Yesterday's calorie/macros:  1988 calories, 85c/68f/270p

Tomorrow, PRESS DAY

Offline rangerNY

• That rug really tied the room together
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 210 lbs
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
The new setup looks pretty good.  A few things my coach pointed out for me that might help.

1. Where are you breathing?  I don't see any noticeable big air intake.  She really drills that and it actually does make a difference. 

2. Its hard to tell on a video, but it looks like the glute/hip drive is kicking in pretty late in the lift.  When she made me drive sooner, I spent an hour doing deads and never felt a thing in my lower back.  Totally changed the focus of the lift for me and unlocked more power.

Or I could have no freakin idea what I'm talking about.   :P
- Drew

"Remember that guy that gave up?  Neither does anyone else."

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
The new setup looks pretty good.  A few things my coach pointed out for me that might help.

1. Where are you breathing?  I don't see any noticeable big air intake.  She really drills that and it actually does make a difference. 

2. Its hard to tell on a video, but it looks like the glute/hip drive is kicking in pretty late in the lift.  When she made me drive sooner, I spent an hour doing deads and never felt a thing in my lower back.  Totally changed the focus of the lift for me and unlocked more power.

Or I could have no freakin idea what I'm talking about.   :P
The breathing is definitely something I need to think about and always forget.  I felt like I was using my glutes at the lighter weights driving into the bar (humpin' the bar), but once the weight got up there I felt like I couldn't get the speed up.  I'll try to think about glutes more next week on the 5/5/5 week.

Offline rangerNY

« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:15 PM »
Same here on the breathing.  She's screaming "BIG AIR!" before every rep to remind me.  Its starting to sink in.  Breathe in at the top, then out at lockout and back in before you sink for the next rep.  Also, pointing my toes out about 25-30 degrees and getting some torque in my hips by forcing the knees outward also helps.  Much more stable base to pull from that way.
- Drew

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2014, 06:38:51 PM »
Oh, and in my defense, my legs are still sore from Monday's squats.  Hamstrings from the SLDLs, adductors from the wide-stance squats, and quads are a little tender.  I felt them all today.  I foam-rolled, but not enough.  I probably have to get on the treadmill and get the blood going after squats or something to loosen them back up better.

Offline Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »
Just caught up from the past week's worth of posts. Gleaned some good info.  Thanks.

Have I mentioned recently how much I love this forum, especially the journals section?   :bowdown:

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
85 days 'til competition

Cycle 4, Week 1 - 3/3/3+ PRESS DAY
Weight:  174.0

PRESS
   Warmups:
   bar x 10
   55 x 5
   70 x 5
   85 x 3
   Worksets:
   110 x 3
   115 x 3
   125 x 3 +5 (8 reps for a rep record)
   110 x 3 +4 (7)
BBB Press w/ 1 minute rest
   70 x 10
   70 x 10
   70 x 10
   70 x 10
   70 x 10
CGBP
   135 x 10
   135 x 10
   135 x 10
Chinups
   bw x 6
   bw x 6
   bw x 6 (EliteFTS red band assisted)
   all suck.  I'm going to start my chinup program again tomorrow.  50 per day throughout the day.

I'm making great progress on press.  I can't wait until the progress translates over to bench  :-\

Weekend off (but I will do chins).  Next week kicks off Monday with 5/5/5+ SQUATS.  Legs should be recovered by then so I'm gunning for at least 10 reps @ 260lbs.

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
Congrats on the press pr! Looked like a grinder on the last two but you pushed through.

Also, nice improvement on the DL form. Head, shoulders, arms all inline with the bar.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline taylor9569

• Height: 6`
  • Weight: 188lbs
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
Just caught up from the past week's worth of posts. Gleaned some good info.  Thanks.

Have I mentioned recently how much I love this forum, especially the journals section?
   :bowdown:
^^^^^^^^^^this x2
T.G.F.M.M. /  Thank God For Muscle Memory - Bando

Lee.

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »

Have I mentioned recently how much I love this forum, especially the journals section?
   :bowdown:
^^^^^^^^^^this x2
Thanks guys!  I'm determined to make a better showing in August.  It's taking a bit to have to hold back on volume while I'm in this cut.  I wanted to do some more, but I have to control myself so I don't burn out like the last time.

Offline doughnutgut

« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »
Solid pressing blk.

Nothing to sniff at on the plus set numbers. 5*5*5 squats.

ouch.

Offline rangerNY

« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2014, 07:52:57 PM »
Strong pressing going on here too.   I was actually yelling "GET IT!" at the screen on that last rep.  Love it!
- Drew