Author Topic: MD State Prep  (Read 108216 times)

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
Re: BLKs Training Journal
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »
Nice push!

I see your weight is at 176+ are you still thinking of cutting down to the 165 class, and then refuel/refeed to get your strength back up?
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »
Nice push!

I see your weight is at 176+ are you still thinking of cutting down to the 165 class, and then refuel/refeed to get your strength back up?
I'm not sure.  Yesterday I drank a lot of water and limited carbs (still hitting protein and fats) to see and I went from 180 mid-day yesterday to 176 this morning.  I'm not sure how much more water I can suck out.  I'm doing it again today to see what happens.  I drank 200oz of water yesterday but only 60oz so far today.  If I'm under 175 tomorrow morning I think I'll give it a shot at cutting.

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2014, 03:23:05 PM »
Drop all the sodium you can from your diet. The sodium binds with the water, and will hold as much as your body can.  When you eliminate the sodium, and increase the water, any sodium you do carry will get washed out.  You won't be able to hold as much water in your body, without the sodium.  It'll bring you down pretty quick when you do that.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
Two days later... Just checking in on your weight, and mental fortitude. 

Every thing progressing as planned?  It's just about 1 week from the Weigh-in.

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2014, 02:04:32 PM »
Two days later... Just checking in on your weight, and mental fortitude. 

Every thing progressing as planned?  It's just about 1 week from the Weigh-in.
I was 176.6 this morning so same as yesterday but I admit I had hotdogs last night and carbed up for today's squats.  I'll try a rinse over this weekend with low sodium and see where I'm at Monday.  I think if I can get to 170 on Monday 165 would be doable by Friday morning weighin.

I'm battling a new bout of tendonitis in my biceps.  I flared up after my last squat session, bothered me during bench on Wednesday, and again today for squats.  Must be something wrong with the way I'm holding the bar.  I'm icing it again today.

Mentally I'm fine.  Physically, I feel beat up with my elbows.  The light week ahead should help.

On with the show...
9 days 'til competition

Cycle 3, Week 3 - 5/3/1 SQUAT DAY
Weight:  176.6

Low-bar Squatz
   Warmups:
   bar x 10
   bar x 10
   120 x 5
   150 x 5
   180 x 3

Worksets
   225 x 5
   255 x 3
   285 x 1 +4 - I wanted 8 out of this set, but this was still a rep record.

Jokers:
   295 x 1
   315 x 1
   335 x 1 - RAW (no wraps) record for me.

FSL
   225 x 8

Elbow hurt too much and I was happy with the weights I put up so I called it quits here.

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »
Some damn fine numbers. Nice job on the 315.

Hope everything works out with your weight. 9 days till comp. That flew by.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »

Thanks, Eric.  I was happy with the 335 after really grinding away on the worksets.  Fresh I'm thinking 350 is doable.  I can't wait until next week comes.  I'm going to enjoy the time off until then because I need to get this cut done.  I'm feeling fat and bloated lately and my gut on the videos bothers me.  I'm going to see how much water I can shed over the weekend and possibly make the 165lb weight class.  For the next week, it'll be mobility, mobility, mobility, and a touch of cardio to keep me busy.  I just reviewed my video and I didn't go as deep as I thought I was going so I need to get back on track with the stretching again.  It may be the fisheye effect of the gopro, but still it's too close for comfort.  I also had to lower my pins on my rack since I was hitting them a lot today.

Offline jrob69

• Height: 68
  • Weight: 180.8
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
Nice job on that 335
Zippa Head

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »

Thanks, Eric.  I was happy with the 335 after really grinding away on the worksets.  Fresh I'm thinking 350 is doable.  I can't wait until next week comes.  I'm going to enjoy the time off until then because I need to get this cut done.  I'm feeling fat and bloated lately and my gut on the videos bothers me.  I'm going to see how much water I can shed over the weekend and possibly make the 165lb weight class.  For the next week, it'll be mobility, mobility, mobility, and a touch of cardio to keep me busy.  I just reviewed my video and I didn't go as deep as I thought I was going so I need to get back on track with the stretching again.  It may be the fisheye effect of the gopro, but still it's too close for comfort.  I also had to lower my pins on my rack since I was hitting them a lot today.

http://youtu.be/_OFQ1lm89ok

Damn, I meant to type 335. Sorry, didn't mean to take away 20 lbs from you.  ;D

I am mad jelly of your squat numbers.

Great video. Your depth looks good to me. You're gonna kill it at that comp. I hope you're able to get to 165. Good luck.
Eric

DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2014, 10:24:36 AM »
7 Days 'til competition
174.6lbs this morning just from drinking an s-ton of water yesterday.  I think 165 is very doable in 6 days.

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2014, 06:25:22 PM »
Good to hear. Keep at it. I have resolved myself to lose the fat around my gut this summer.  :-[
Eric

DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2014, 06:32:08 PM »
Good to hear. Keep at it. I have resolved myself to lose the fat around my gut this summer.  :-[
Change of plans.  I was reminded of my primary goal for this comp.  Set PRs and get experience.  If I eat surplus, I should get PRs.  Cut will happen after the meet.  I still refuse to run though.  I'll do it with diet like I did the last time and aim for 1-1.5 lbs a week.

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2014, 06:34:46 PM »
Change of plans.  I was reminded of my primary goal for this comp.  Set PRs and get experience.  If I eat surplus, I should get PRs.  Cut will happen after the meet.  I still refuse to run though.  I'll do it with diet like I did the last time and aim for 1-1.5 lbs a week.

So what are you planning on coming into the meet at now?
Eric

DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »

I've got room to eat to make 181.  I'm not going to pig out now, but I'm not going to diet either.  :) 

I just made myself a big pot of HOT chili.  Lips are burnin' and stomach is on fire.

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2014, 06:44:45 PM »

I've got room to eat to make 181.  I'm not going to pig out now, but I'm not going to diet either.  :) 

I just made myself a big pot of HOT chili.  Lips are burnin' and stomach is on fire.

Well if you just keep eating you should have no problem getting close to 181.

And wait till later when that chili decided to evacuate.  :flame:
Eric

DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275