Author Topic: "The proof is in the pudding" BROSCIENCE Thread  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
"The proof is in the pudding" BROSCIENCE Thread
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »
As a youth,  I was drawn to movie and television heroes that displayed physical fortitude in addition to the indomitable spirit that made them rise victorious in battles of good and evil. 

As any good parent,  mine wanted to foster my interests and got me a DP bench and some sears and roebuck cement filled plastic weights at a yard sale for $50.

Fast forward to teen years,  got a job washing dishes and joined a gym. Nautilus equipment and free weights galore. 

Cool story bro, but what's the point? 

Father gave me a nugget of advice, "You wanna get big, find the biggest guy in there and do what he does.

If he's willing to throw you some advice,  listen.  Be respectful,  don't as why something,  just take the advice.  If he tells you to eat green beans on the left side of your mouth for breakfast every morning,  just trust him and do it."

It was never called broscience,  rather it was called mentoring.

In my professional career,  I've had a few mentors, good and bad.  Trouble is figuring out which ones to listen to.  The best mentors would advise me well, many times they would try to keep me from making the mistakes they did, alas I still had to learn the hard way (I was smarter at the time, so I thought).  But the advantage they had was being the only voice of reason at the moment.

In my evolution with weight training/bodybuilding,  the interwebs have given me as many nuggets of gold as iron pyrite. 

In journal lurking,  I've gleaned a good bit, but I figured why not start a thread of good solid broscience that has been proven through personal experience.  Scientific studies are good, having the "proofs in the pudding" is far superior in my opinion. 

Cliffs: Post broscience that has worked for YOU.

Offline Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
Re: "The proof is in the pudding" BROSCIENCE Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »
In my weightloss journey (lost 80#+) besides keeping total calories in check,  I kept myself to 3 meals a day and each meal had to have a minimum of 20g of protein.  Mandatory.

My biggest strength gains came when I got the most rest (when I was unemployed,  lolz).

I'll try to think of more, just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Offline Lola

• Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 160
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
If I don't eat fast/easy disgesting food immediately after trsining, I feel like craaaaaap.
I've tested this time & time again...

Offline djflex

• Hey, you gonna finish that sandwich ?
  • Height: 5 6
  • Weight: Pleasantly plump
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:14:35 PM »
If I don't eat fast/easy disgesting food immediately after trsining, I feel like craaaaaap.

Me too. I dont care about the debate on nutrient timing in the least. All i know is when im done i need my shake or dinner immediatly!
Carrots may be good for your eyes,
But booze will double your vision

Offline halfway

• Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 230
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
incline treadmill walking for cardio, 'science' says to do HIIT but that just destroys my recovery, hurts my joints and kills my squat poundages for no more calories burned than moderate incline walking.

Incline walking also keeps my mobile, especially my t-spine area and is a good way to get some endorphins happening when I'm tempted to eat myself happy

Offline Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
Speaking of cardio, during weight loss I found diminishing advantages of anything above 20 minutes (not including however long it takes to get your heart rate elevated).  Another case where some is good, but more isn't better.

Offline Lola

• Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 160
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
incline treadmill walking for cardio, 'science' says to do HIIT but that just destroys my recovery, hurts my joints and kills my squat poundages for no more calories burned than moderate incline walking.

Incline walking also keeps my mobile, especially my t-spine area and is a good way to get some endorphins happening when I'm tempted to eat myself happy

ITA.

Offline Acrawlingchaos

• Skinny with abs
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 169
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »
I tend to do everything but scientific analysis and research before application. If it doesn't make any difference through peer researched study, I tend not to worry about it.

Offline fatstolats

• nerve case
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 216
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »

I still have my only protein shake with some creatine in it right after training. I know it's been debunked as the "anabolic window", but it's now just habit and my body craves it now.
299 ----> 216 and still working!

Offline ThighoftheTiger

• Greying and growing
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:45:17 PM »
Immediately after my workouts (early morning) I drink a mix of 20 oz of water mixed with Univeral's Torrent Green Apple Avalanche and a scoop of ON Vanilla Ice cream whey.  It's green, so it looks like something a mad scientist would make.  Just need to get some dry ice in there and I'm really set! LOL

But like the subject, proof in the pudding...I'm really liking the progress I've been making since I've been taking it these last 5 months.

Most of the time, I then eat my "breakfast" at work, having made eggs/ham/pepperjack/burritos.
My journal: http://www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums/index.php?topic=1420.0

2015 PB's
420 lbs - Deadlift
335 lbs - Squat
262 lbs - Bench