Author Topic: Hochspeyer's Dungeon of Pain and Pleasure  (Read 25786 times)

Offline hochspeyer

• Desert Shield/Storm and Psychic Wars Veteran
    • A homegrown DBA exploring #notsobigdata
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 244
Re: Hochspeyer's Dungeon of Pain and Pleasure
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2014, 12:50:41 AM »
My training is slightly more exciting than this journal.

Mostly shoulders today... STILL feeling the effects of the shoulder injury last March. On the + side of things, I did 10x70lbs on the rear delt machine today. On the -side, left shoulder is still much weaker.
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja:

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »
My training is slightly more exciting than this journal.

:banana:
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline hochspeyer

« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »
Back. In black.

There probably won't weight lifting stuff here for some time, but I'm a huge believer in journals/data.

So, just an update for anyone who might care, I'm on a quest for fitness- not merely to be a man-beast (that WILL still happen!), but to be at "fighting weight": 175lbs. My "official" weigh-in was four weeks ago at 261lbs. I did a weigh-in on Saturday afternoon (as I knew this would be a big cheat weekend!), and the scale read 244. 

In plain friggin' English. that's tying my shoes without turning red in the face. Walking up to my office (19 steps) and not being winded. Breaking away from a BMI of almost 39.7.

I'm back, like never before.
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja:

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2015, 09:49:41 PM »
I've actually been thinking about you during some lifts, and going for rep 9. Glad to see you back at it. That said, man you got some work to do wtf, what have you been doing?
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline hochspeyer

« Reply #229 on: August 25, 2015, 08:01:07 AM »
Looking at my fat abs, and deciding to attack with knowledge and experience. I'll make an Excel spreadsheet for the lamest of reasons- I'm putting this to good use and am tracking diet, macros, vitals and training in it.

My weight has been pretty stable over the past 12-24 mos, but stable == 39.68 BMI! When I finally ran those numbers a little over a month ago, I just said , "ENOUGH."

I did some research on keto, and decided that I didn't really want to go full-bore keto, so I came up with a reasonable compromise: a carb-restricted diet. The premise is simple: follow the spirit of keto, but rather than keeping carbs in the bargain basement of my macros, eliminate the bad carbs, pump up the fats and protein, and get more active.

I've been using a pedometer forever, and I recently got the Runkeeper app for my phone. I don't run, btw- I actually hate running, but Runkeeper tracks all sorts of stuff. I've found that if I can get three walks in per week (ONLY 3!), I can get some decent weight loss. My very worse weight loss week was last week-  only 2 pounds. Only one walk. My second week, though, was insane- 8.6lbs dropped.

The dietary component is simple: no pasta, ramen, potatoes, bread or boxed dinner mixes ("Hamburger Helper"). I love this stuff... I really do. It's been over a month since I've had any of it. My wife has insisted that I keep up on fiber intake, so I do consume carbs- but mostly from fresh (or baked) veggies. Butternut squash, tomatoes and cucumber are my current primary carb sources. And... here's the disclaimer: this WILL NOT work for everyone. I eat slowly. Very slowly. Monday night, I consumed a grand total of two cups of tea, a Monster (Ultra- nearly no carbs), and 10oz of ground pork and ground beef patties. My maintenance kcals are currently just shy of 2500/day. My intake was 836... that's a bit unusual, even for me: I'm usually closer to 1400-1500.

Resistance training: not a lot going on for several reasons.

The primary reason is the lose weight vs build muscle argument. The last time I tried to lose weight I lifted fairly heavy (for me). I got stronger and looked better, but was still fat. My primary training right now is walking, I'm not certain that a casual observer would notice much difference in me, but my belly has definitely shrunk, and my favorite belt needs a new hole for my smaller diameter. I have two resistance tools which I use at work (there are times where I have to wait for processes to finish, so I can do these). The first resource is a Wham-O "Super-Duper ball". Orange and about 4" across, it's great for squeezing- good forearm and shoulder work. The other resource is about the same size, except it's a 2lb medicine ball. I like to throw this up towards the ceiling in sets of 10 reps. Neither of these will give me huge guns, but they burn calories and keep the muscles primed!
Rep 9 crew

Offline hochspeyer

« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2015, 08:12:01 PM »
Week 5 of my personal fitness challenge.

This week was flat- no gain or loss. I had a bit of dirt in the diet that skewed my kcals for the week. My foot had an injury (that seems to finally have healed), and work was busy. On top of that, schools are back in session, all of which == a very low amount of walking, which has been my real fat burning catalyst. I've been admonished by at lest one person to get weight training back into my program... like Christmas, its coming.

The coming week should be back to business- losing weight... and hopefully adding a it of muscle.
Rep 9 crew

Offline hochspeyer

« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2015, 03:33:12 AM »
1st lifting entry in ... forever.
1 set of 10reps- bare E Z curl bar (15lbs)

... and for all you haters- I'm about losing weight, not bulking.

The scary thing is that I had to dig to find that bar. Now that I have it, I'm going to incorporate more weight training into my program.
Rep 9 crew