Author Topic: Titans, Rehbounds, and Wraps, Oh My!  (Read 1262 times)

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
Titans, Rehbounds, and Wraps, Oh My!
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
Since there's no "Gear Review" forum, I figure the General On-Topic forum is where this should be.

Squats, and how I protect my knees. 

I used to squat without anything on my knees.  No wraps, sleeves of even band-aids.  Raw as raw could be.  Then I got involved in Flex's squat comp and decided I'd give wraps a shot.  Went to Liftinglarge.com and ordered up a pair of Parallel Breaker Knee Wraps.  Once I figured out how to utilize them, my squats felt much better.  I slowly learned to properly wrap my knees and to stretch the material with every loop I wrapped.  They do need to be tight. A few weeks ago, I figured out that I was wrapping them too high up my quad and adjusted them down a bit.  Overall, I really prefer to squat (and heavy leg press) with wraps.

At the end of March, I did a Powerlifting meet.  The rules of this Meet state that Knee Wraps are considered "Geared" lifting.  So I was looking at squatting 400+ without anything on my knees.  Luckily, a guy at the Meet had a spare pair of Blue Rehband Knee Sleeves, Medium size, that he lent me.  TWhile not the same structural enhancement that Wraps are, they did keep my knee warm and toasty, and were quite comfortable.  The intent of the sleeves are to stabilize the movement of the knee and not impinge the flexibility.  Very well done, and the next day I started looking for my own pair. 

I settled on the Titan Knee Sleeves. Most of the reviews on line stated that the Titans hold up better over time, and they stay in place on your knee much better.  The Rehbands are usually ranked higher for support of the knee, but wear out quicker.  I'll not be squatting over 500 anytime soon, so I figured that the stress wasn't as much and the life of use was better so I chose the Titans over the Rehbands.

Last night was my first night using the Sleeves and they were very comfortable.  Squats went 135x12, 225x8, 315x5, 365x4, 405x2, 315x6. Followed that up with Leg Press: 360x10, 450x8, 540x6, 630x5, 720x4.  It wasn't until I took the Sleeves off after this, that I could feel hom much compression had been on my knees.  While the Sleeves were not uncomfortable to wear, they did increase the pressure in my knees.  There was a bit of an ache after I got them off.  I never had that with wraps, because they were not on very long.  With the wraps they were much tighter, but had a short time span to wear.

So... I'll keep my wraps and likely do my squats in them.  Some PL federations allow them (Considered "Modern Raw"), others consider them Geared.  I'll keep the knee sleeves and use them when I have too. 
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Titans, Rehbounds, and Wraps, Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »
Been thinking about knee sleeves...

I just ordered a new set of wraps as mine are getting worn out.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »
If I could use the wraps exclusively, I would.  The knee sleeves add some safety, contribute nothing towards the Lift Aspect, Wraps do.  I certainly prefer them. 

It's also an ego boost when you wrap your knees.  People see Sleeves and think "He's trying to avoid an injury", where as Wraps state "I'm about to step under some serious weight, Stand Back".  In other words, sissies don't use wraps. ;)
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »
I've never seen anyone wear knee sleeves.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline djflex

• Hey, you gonna finish that sandwich ?
  • Height: 5 6
  • Weight: Pleasantly plump
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:13:47 PM »
I've never seen anyone wear knee sleeves.

Maybe the wear em under their sweats. Thats what i do, when iuse them
Carrots may be good for your eyes,
But booze will double your vision

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:26:01 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear sweats in my gym to squat.

If I used them I would just use them.

Kinda O/T but my Rheband elbow sleeve is 3 distinct colors and I have a pair of lifting shorts those same 3 colors. Looks weird as hell when I wear those shorts on bench day.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?