Author Topic: Are you a bodybuilder?  (Read 6828 times)

Offline Simp

• Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 150
Re: Are you a bodybuilder?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »
Well, saying you are a marathoner by definition means that you ran a marathon.  Which isn't what I said - I said runner.  If you trained consistently to the point where you can run 26 miles, you would qualify as a runner.  Doesn't matter if you actually run a race or not.  You can't get to the point where you run 26 miles overnight.  It takes months and months of consistent training. 

The same holds true for someone who has build an impressive muscular physique.  It didn't happen in months.  It takes years of dedicating yourself to eating and training right.

In both cases, it's an entire lifestyle.  If someone puts in that much effort and devotes that much of their lives to a pursuit, I feel they've earned the description.  There are people who have far more dedication to the sport than some who consistently step on stage.
I think that saying you're a runner when you do, indeed, run is correct.  I think calling yourself a racer when you only run or race against yourself, that's not meeting the definition.

As for BB'ing, I think that there is something very different about the bulk/cut process for most vs. the bul/cut/deplete process that bb'ers go through.  In my mind I can't distinguish that.

I used to be a figure competitor, and I wasn't too bad at it, though I definitely could have improved.  That said, I only referred to myself as a figure competitor, never a bb'er.  And now I just say I lift weights, but mostly I just say I work out. 

Offline erinlee01

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 160
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
I just don't see competition as part of the definition, just like I don't see running races part of the definition of a runner.

FWIW, I would never call myself a bodybuilder.  I in no way have the dedication to call myself that.

Offline hochspeyer

• Desert Shield/Storm and Psychic Wars Veteran
    • A homegrown DBA exploring #notsobigdata
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 244
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »
I'm sorry, Simp, but I don't see what you're disagreeing with me about.  The video clearly showed a fella that was onstage, competing, but clearly not in contest form. I'm not disagreeing with you, and I probably have less experience than anyone on this board when it comes to lifting, training, preparing or competing. So let me move from that base.

When I started back with weights a few years ago, I had some standard weights and found bb.com. I had lifted as a teen, so I knew I liked lifting, and started doing it again. Yadda yadda yadda.

"Bodybuilding is a form of body modification involving intensive muscle hypertrophy. An individual who engages in this activity is referred to as a bodybuilder. In competitive and professional bodybuilding, bodybuilders display their physiques to a panel of judges, who assign points based on their appearance. Bodybuilders prepare for competition through a combination of fat loss, oils, and tanning (or tanning lotions) which combined with lighting make the definition of the muscle group more distinct." Cue shitstorm.

I don't necessarily agree with that definition, but it is a definition. Please note that the definition separates the act of bodybuilding from competition. Again, I am not saying this is THE definitive definition, but it is the only definition that has been posted. I'm sure there are better ones out there- someone more knowledgeable can post one.
That's the second sentence, and it's a comment on the video... I don't see what you're not seeing, or it's significance.  ???
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja:

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »
I just don't see competition as part of the definition, just like I don't see running races part of the definition of a runner.

FWIW, I would never call myself a bodybuilder.  I in no way have the dedication to call myself that.
And the bold section is what I think significantly determines the definition of Bodybuilder, as well as any other sport.  The Dedication it takes to excel at a particular process is a determining factor.  At the current stage of my life I can't afford the dedication to become a bodybuilder.  I Do want to become one and in a year or so, after all the mess that is my personal life, I will dedicate myself to stepping on stage.

I've seen guys that are dedicated to the gym and are in phenomenal shape, but don't have the dedication or the desire to be a bodybuilder, or a marathoner. 

I go to the gym to test my limits and improve them.  Now that I have reached a point where I feel I can step onto a platform and move some weight, without embarrassing myself, I look forward to my next competition and feel better about calling myself a Powerlifter.  And.. I have the ability to dedicate myself to improving my numbers the next time I step on the Platform.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline Simp

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
I'm sorry, Simp, but I don't see what you're disagreeing with me about.  The video clearly showed a fella that was onstage, competing, but clearly not in contest form. I'm not disagreeing with you, and I probably have less experience than anyone on this board when it comes to lifting, training, preparing or competing. So let me move from that base.

When I started back with weights a few years ago, I had some standard weights and found bb.com. I had lifted as a teen, so I knew I liked lifting, and started doing it again. Yadda yadda yadda.

"Bodybuilding is a form of body modification involving intensive muscle hypertrophy. An individual who engages in this activity is referred to as a bodybuilder. In competitive and professional bodybuilding, bodybuilders display their physiques to a panel of judges, who assign points based on their appearance. Bodybuilders prepare for competition through a combination of fat loss, oils, and tanning (or tanning lotions) which combined with lighting make the definition of the muscle group more distinct." Cue shitstorm.

I don't necessarily agree with that definition, but it is a definition. Please note that the definition separates the act of bodybuilding from competition. Again, I am not saying this is THE definitive definition, but it is the only definition that has been posted. I'm sure there are better ones out there- someone more knowledgeable can post one.
That's the second sentence, and it's a comment on the video... I don't see what you're not seeing, or it's significance.  ???
You originally quoted a post of mine that, in no way, made reference to the damn video.  I disagreed with THAT post. 

Geez.

Offline hochspeyer

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
Sorry, I sit corrected.
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja:

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
Sorry, I sit corrected.

Stand.

Do it.    8)
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline djflex

• Hey, you gonna finish that sandwich ?
  • Height: 5 6
  • Weight: Pleasantly plump
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
Fuk it,  im calling myself a bodybuilder instead of a weightlifter now.....:D

See my sig for the hell of my diet
Carrots may be good for your eyes,
But booze will double your vision

Offline Simp

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »
^^^ Poser.  (Not Literally)

Offline hochspeyer

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 10:51:59 PM »
Sorry, I sit corrected.

Stand.

Do it.    8)
I'm all about compromise and totally against conflict. So, in the spirit of this site, I squatted.
Rep 9 crew

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »
Sorry, I sit corrected.

Stand.

Do it.    8)
I'm all about compromise and totally against conflict. So, in the spirit of this site, I squatted.

our work here is done.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Marius

• User Title
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 193 Pounds
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
Why won't anyone argue with me about the fact that I love to pick up heavy stuff and throw it?

This place sucks.
TMonkey is one Bad Ass Mother Fucker.

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 10:59:33 AM »
Why won't anyone argue with me about the fact that I love to pick up heavy stuff and throw it?

This place sucks.
So... you basically train for Function Strength?  :D
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline Marius

• User Title
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 193 Pounds
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »
Ugh. I hate that term.

But yes.

As long as "function" = "throwing stuff".
TMonkey is one Bad Ass Mother Fucker.

Offline hochspeyer

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
You throw your weight around whilst wearing funny clothes?
Rep 9 crew