Author Topic: Thinking of trying a differnt spin on this years cut...  (Read 2951 times)

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Thinking of trying a differnt spin on this years cut...
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »
I read this article on T Nation after listening to a trainer give a presentation to our club and hearing her response when I asked her about fasted cardio. In a nutshell don't do cardio, do crossfit stuff to lose fat. I'm open to new things, but I hate the thought of being one of "those guys" doing burpees in the squat rack. It's bugging me trying to figure out what I could do as an interval, resistance type of exercise without looking like a jackass in the gym.   
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline doughnutgut

Re: Thinking of trying a differnt spin on this years cut...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
I have seen some fantastic results of a well dialled in diet and zero cardio IRL since starting this game.

Also seen great results from both being used.

Bang for your buck though would be getting as structured as possible with your Macros for the best possible results. Although cardio can help of course. Nutrition is key.

Just lift weights faster.  ;D

Oh, and reduce them beers.  :P

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
It's bugging me trying to figure out what I could do as an interval, resistance type of exercise without looking like a jackass in the gym.
Check out Strongman exercises, like tire flips, sled pulls, farmers carries. Exercises that use heavy shit, and keep your heart rate up.  I can attest, that 15 filps of a 300lb tire for speed can beat a powerlifter into submission.

Farmers carries with 120lb dumbells around the gym.  It's one thing to do 50 feet of lunges, but lapping a building with 120lbs in each hand is strong shit.  Put 135lbs on a bar, shoulder it and walk around the building.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:29:24 PM by Deralta »
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline Acrawlingchaos

• Skinny with abs
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 169
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »
It's going to be that deficit in the end Bando. Exercise shouldn't be your go to for weight loss. In fact, focusing on lowering your frequency and keeping you weight loss moderate will ensure you retain your lean mass.

Lowering your frequency with a modest deficit can still result in PRs at your point in the game.

Offline Whatanejit

• Height: 5' 4"
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »
I know it is against everything we want to do but I am following the bootcamp style of exercising in between lifting days.

Bootcamp is another way of saying crossfit, I guess.

It would be hard in the gym not to look like pillock I guess.

What I do is:

Monday - normal weight day in home gym
Tuesday- bootcamp at the field which involves:
Warm up stretching
50 seconds of star jumps
50 seconds of pushups
50 seconds of walking lunges
50 seconds of planking
Then I usually go for a quick circular run with the dog chasing me (about a 1/4 of a mile according to my android app).

15 seconds in between the exercises above.

Set above repeated 3 times - I usually only spend 20 mins or so on it but if I want to go longer I'll just increase the running times.

Weds - rest

Thurs - lifting

Friday - bootcamp

Saturday lifting

Sunday rest

^^^ I might change the days a bit according to commitment.

You could always do stuff around your back yard instead of doing it at the gym??

Online Greg

• Striving to survive
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 226
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
Farmers carries with 120lb dumbells around the gym.  It's one thing to do 50 feet of lunges, but lapping a building with 120lbs in each hand is strong shit.  Put 135lbs on a bar, shoulder it and walk around the building.

People have no clue how much farmer walks will jack up your heart rate, I do them all the time and like you said #120 in each hand doing just a single lap will increase your HR a ton.

Offline Lola

• Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 160
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:40:06 PM »
during the peak of my comp prep, the most cardio I was ever doing was walking on a  treadmill for 1/2hr & some tabata. Not morning fasted. My coach is big on what she calls metabolic training instead of cardio.

Offline halfway

• Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 230
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
cardio is just about calorie burning, so balance the amount you can tolerate with the lowest intensity possible. The harder the cardio the more it saps your strength, which you need to maintain muscle by doing the real lifting

needless to say I think that trainer is chuckles

40 mins incline treadmill walking should burn 500-800 depending on how hard you go and wont tap into recovery or risk injuring you or making you look like a douche like the crossfitties

Offline Lola

• Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 160
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
cardio is just about calorie burning, so balance the amount you can tolerate with the lowest intensity possible. The harder the cardio the more it saps your strength, which you need to maintain muscle by doing the real lifting

needless to say I think that trainer is chuckles

40 mins incline treadmill walking should burn 500-800 depending on how hard you go and wont tap into recovery or risk injuring you or making you look like a douche like the crossfitties

Incline walking is the best! Plus it's good for the ass & hams ;)

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 10:00:33 PM »
To second what whatanejit said, in Tae Kwon Do, many classes after warmups and stretching, we did a series of circuits involving techniques and calestentics. Only ours were 90 seconds to 2 minutes with a 15 second beeak between stations. I have a HIIT timer app on my stupid phone just for when I get the inkling for a good kick in the ass.

One other thing to consider.  I have a heart rate monitor,  since my doc says basically if it aint above 120 bpm, it ain't cardio. One day for shits and giggles,  I wore it through a weight training session and was quite surprised at the reading. Not warmup sets, but working sets at above 60% my 1RM, by the 7-8th rep my monitor would let me know I was at the top end of my HR range at 170+. Many times without breaking a sweat. And within a minute my HR would be back down below 100.

So just some food for thought.  Is weightlifting cardio? Is your motivation a strong heart or building general endurance?   You may already be doing a loose form of interval training without even knowing it.