Author Topic: 2015 Mid-Atlantic State Championships and Military Nationals  (Read 12451 times)

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
This is my second time doing this meet and I feel as though I'm limping into it.  Hips ache, elbows ache, knee is just my knee as usual.  My back is always sore in the mornings until I'm up and moving around.

My deadlift hasn't improved much at all since last year while I made meager progress on bench and squat.  I honestly can't wait to get this meet behind me.  4 months ago I had my goals set on approaching a 500# squat.  Last month I dropped that to 450#.  Lately, I'm thinking I'll be lucky to match my PR of 435#.  Hopefully my week off prior to the meet will allow enough healing for me to show up  like a beast and out-perform my expectations.

I only have two more training weeks which will mostly be a few heavy singles and very light accessory stuff.

I was finally able to order my new singlet from LL.  They've been out of stock in my size for the Triumph forever.  I've been checking every day for the last few weeks and it was finally back in stock today.  I also order a pair of long-handled needle-nose pliers to help with knee wraps.  I ordered a buckle belt from best belt a while ago, but I haven't gotten notification that it has been started.  I heard they are very backed up lately.

After this meet I plan on cutting hard back down to 165.  While I feel stronger at 181, I think I'll be much more competitive at 165.  I'm not going to worry about my strength on the cut as I know it'll bounce back quick.  I'm going light, with high volume.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: 2015 Mid-Atlantic State Championships and Military Nationals
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »
I think after this summer I will be a pro at limping into meets.

Good luck man.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 08:47:40 PM »
and you will get out there in front of 200 people, dig a deeply knurled RPS squat bar into your traps, look into the judges eyes for the command.

And be absolutely pain free.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »
I've been contemplating my openers the last few days.  Here's what I think I'll go with...

Squat:  385, 435, 450+?
Bench:  245, 265, 275?
Deadlift:  350, 380, 400?

Meet PRs are underlined, all-time PRs in red.  Squat opener is super conservative since I'm always worried about my depth but still a meet PR.  I wish I had a better idea on deadlifts.  It seems I can add 10lbs and it may as well be 100lbs sometimes.  All 3rd lifts of course will depend on my 2nd attempts an how they felt to me.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 07:33:21 PM »
Your opener is a meet PR?

When will it be mine turn to be that strong?  :-\

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline birdiefu

• Too klutzy for Oly lifting
  • Weight: 163
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
I usually go with the rule of thumb of making your opener a weight that you can triple on a bad day. Depending on my goals for the meet (if I am focusing on a certain lift or total in general), I will take my 2nd as something around a recent heavy single (erring on under if I will not try to PR on 3rd), then 3rd as a PR, but depends on how previous attempts went.

You usually have a change to change your openers if you find things are not as expected during warmups, too.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:01:27 PM by birdiefu »

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »
Very similar to how I pick them.  I start with something I've tripled multiple times and my goal is usually my calculated 1RM from the cycle.  2nd lifts are usually a little more than half to 2/3s between 1 and 3.  Squats are a bit trickier since I don't train with wraps until 2-3 weeks prior to the meet.

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »
It's official now!  Roster posted this morning. 8)
http://meets.revolutionpowerlifting.com/2015/05/02/mid-atlantic-state-championships-and-military-nationals/

Once again, I'll be unopposed :-\  No biggie.  I compete against myself in the 181 Masters.

They've split the meet into two sessions which was a good idea because it's in a tiny crossfit gym and last year it was way overcrowded.  Sad part is of the two friends I made at that meet last year, one didn't register and the other is in the PM session.  I'm in the AM session.

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
http://meets.revolutionpowerlifting.com/2015/05/02/mid-atlantic-state-championships-and-military-nationals/

Once again, I'll be unopposed :-\  No biggie.  I compete against myself in the 181 Masters.

They've split the meet into two sessions which was a good idea because it's in a tiny crossfit gym and last year it was way overcrowded.  Sad part is of the two friends I made at that meet last year, one didn't register and the other is in the PM session.  I'm in the AM session.
Good Luck! Crush your records from last year. 
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 04:50:34 PM »

Good Luck! Crush your records from last year.

Thanks DA!  I will no doubt crush my meet records.

Question for you.  I timed myself today on all my sets for wrapping my knees, putting on elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, and belt.  It takes me about 2:30 to do all that so considering nerves the day of the meet I'd guess 2:45.  How soon should I begin wrapping?  In the hole or 4 out?

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
Best of luck!  You'll do great, no doubt   8)

Once again, I'll be unopposed :-\ 

The day I actually find someone else in my class will be the day I pass out from the shock of it.   ;D

Sad part is of the two friends I made at that meet last year, one didn't register and the other is in the PM session.  I'm in the AM session.

I know those feels too.  Not sure who the heck is going to be at my meet, it doesn't look like some of the the people I thought would be there are going this time.  I know a couple of people coming out to watch in the afternoon, a friend and two bodybuilder gym buddies, but I think they may miss me completely since I'm in the morning and they can't come out any earlier lol.   :S

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
Question for you.  I timed myself today on all my sets for wrapping my knees, putting on elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, and belt.  It takes me about 2:30 to do all that so considering nerves the day of the meet I'd guess 2:45.  How soon should I begin wrapping?  In the hole or 4 out?
I start wrapping when I'm in the hole.  Remember, you have a whole minute to get on the platform, and most times, Ame doesn't start the clock until she's pissed that no one is responding.  So you've got plenty of time.  Just remember to keep you head clear and calm as you wrap.  If you move to quick, the wrap will fly out of your hand and you'll panic, and be rushed.

Sad part is of the two friends I made at that meet last year, one didn't register and the other is in the PM session.  I'm in the AM session.
I know those feels too.  Not sure who the heck is going to be at my meet, it doesn't look like some of the the people I thought would be there are going this time.  I know a couple of people coming out to watch in the afternoon, a friend and two bodybuilder gym buddies, but I think they may miss me completely since I'm in the morning and they can't come out any earlier lol.   :S
Introduce yourself to more people.  Surprisingly, people can be quite helpful at these Meets.  Go back through the roster, and see if there are names you recognize.  Now, if you were on facebook, you'll cross paths with a lot more people, as RPS does a lot through their facebook page. ;)

The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 07:59:31 PM »

Is your meet this Saturday in Rochester? I saw Gene asking for loaders on facebook.

DIEL?

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg

Is your meet this Saturday in Rochester? I saw Gene asking for loaders on facebook.
It is.  Head up there and Spot/Load for the day, and you get August for Free.  Plus, you can help Kelly when she needs it.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 08:16:15 PM »
I have a 2PM cooking class and a tentative family zipline experience across a gorge  :(

Would offer support, but frankly I couldn't load for squats, them 100 lb plates look heavy

DIEL?