Author Topic: My 4x8 foot patch of sanity  (Read 4738 times)

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
My 4x8 foot patch of sanity
« on: November 20, 2015, 06:15:58 PM »
Well, look who finally set up her home gym!  I've been gathering up the equipment for the last year, so it was about time.  Pretty much just space for a 4x8' platform, but I can do all the basics in there.  I finished this just under the wire last night, my mom had surgery for cancer today so this is going to let me get my workouts in while sticking close by while she recovers.  I love my regular gym, but it's a 30 minute drive away so... hurray for the home gym!!!!   :)

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 203
Re: My 4x8 foot patch of sanity
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »
A rack without iron is like banana with no mittens

Where's the beef?
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline itsagoodday

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
It's there, just not pictured.  I've got the plates stacked on the fireplace on the other side of the room, need to figure out what I want to do with those in terms of storage.  And I need to pick up my bar from my friend's, would have picked it up yesterday but he was out of town.  Yeah, it's slightly non-functional without the bar, but I'll fix that Monday  ;D

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
Congrats Kelly.  That's awesome.

A rack without iron is like banana with no mittens

Where's the beef?

LMFAO
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 07:12:41 PM »
Congratulations, Kelly!

You will definitely need your sanity.  Hope your mum recovers well.  You're a good daughter.   :)
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Online Stile

• Weight: 168
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:03:11 PM »
Nice setup. Seems we're all making the move to home gyms.

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 09:46:31 PM »
Nice setup. Seems we're all making the move to home gyms.

No regrets at all with mine.

Nice start itsagoodday.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »
I've got the plates stacked on the fireplace on the other side of the room, need to figure out what I want to do with those in terms of storage.

I don't have an extra tree but if you have an Iron deficiency I have more 25's and 35's than I'll ever use.

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
Grats Kelly! Our friend didn't have any cheap plate holders?
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Bm2Bm crew (---Bench Moar to Bench Moar---)
/ \

Offline itsagoodday

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »
Thanks all, I'm super excited to finally get this set up!   8)

I don't have an extra tree but if you have an Iron deficiency I have more 25's and 35's than I'll ever use.

I think I'm good on plates, thanks so much though!  My only regret is only buying 3 pairs of 45's last year... I think my words were "oh, I'm sure I won't need more than 3 pairs."  Should have bought 4 pairs and given myself something to aim for  ;D

Grats Kelly! Our friend didn't have any cheap plate holders?

Nah, surprisingly that was the one thing he didn't have last few times I saw him.  That's OK, I just need to grab a cheap one on craigslist, there always seem to be a ton of them on there, I just need to get around to it.  Or maybe I should call him again and see if he was one now and another pair of old Hoffman 45's, haha!

Offline Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
Play it again sports store was a must "swing by" when I was first expanding my collection.  Ended up finding my matching 45s in Missouri. 

Then ended up scoring another set nearby of a different manufacturer,  meh, iron is iron,  weight is weight.

Whatever you do,  don't waste your money on any adjustable db sets that you ever ever might outgrow. 

Offline John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »
Ill keep my eyes open for ya Kelly. If I find a plate holder close here I'll pick it up and hold it for you. Bill emailed me wanting to know if I'd be interested in a certain set he has. You know me, I'm not in that weight is weight crowd, I like old American made iron and that's all my gym has. I'm waiting for him to get back to me so I can take a ride up there.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully recovery goes well! are you competing here in April? Hercules just held a meet this past weekend. Heard it had a good turnout.
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Bm2Bm crew (---Bench Moar to Bench Moar---)
/ \

Offline itsagoodday

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 11:32:12 PM »
Sooooooo, first workout in the home gym today and there were some surprises.  First of all, wow is the platform slippery when I squat with no shoes.  Dang.  I either need to find a non-slip solution for that, or I'll need to squat with shoes on at home.  Second, getting into my normal position for heavy benching is pretty much impossible in that rack.  The rack is in the way of where my feet need to go.  If I set up with my feet just clear of the rack, the bar is too far behind my head to unrack.  Putting my feet farther back under me isn't a great idea either because my hip can't take that position.  Ugh, I have some thinking to do. 

Play it again sports store was a must "swing by" when I was first expanding my collection.  Ended up finding my matching 45s in Missouri. 

Then ended up scoring another set nearby of a different manufacturer,  meh, iron is iron,  weight is weight.

Whatever you do,  don't waste your money on any adjustable db sets that you ever ever might outgrow.

I think we do have a Play it Again sports around here somewhere, thanks for the reminder!  Pretty much everything in my corner is an assortment of used stuff... whatever works!

Yeah, I'm not totally sold on adjustable dbs.  At this point, I'll just stick with the bar.  Too limited on space to add much of anything else anyway!  And I've still got my regular gym membership where I'll do most of my training still.  Their dbs go up to 150, it's not like I could beat that at home anyway  ;D

Ill keep my eyes open for ya Kelly. If I find a plate holder close here I'll pick it up and hold it for you. Bill emailed me wanting to know if I'd be interested in a certain set he has. You know me, I'm not in that weight is weight crowd, I like old American made iron and that's all my gym has. I'm waiting for him to get back to me so I can take a ride up there.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully recovery goes well! are you competing here in April? Hercules just held a meet this past weekend. Heard it had a good turnout.

Thank you, much appreciated if you happen to come across one.  Plate rack has been my lowest priority, I figured the floor would work for storage too ;D

I'm definitely planning on the April meet.  Besides, my deadlift is going swimmingly and I need to pull 350 somewhere eventually, so it might as well be there ;)  Only wild card about me doing that meet is my mom's health.  If she does wind up starting radiation or chemo, that could run into April.  Just playing it one day at a time over here.

Offline XavierNusum

• Weight: 261
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »
Looks awesome! Prayers for your mom's speedy recovery!
",,,in the long run, motivation is just a notch above useless. take the emotion out of it and be disciplined."
-cwolfman13 (MFP member)

"It's still yo MF'n set" - CTFletcher

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
Second, getting into my normal position for heavy benching is pretty much impossible in that rack.  The rack is in the way of where my feet need to go.  If I set up with my feet just clear of the rack, the bar is too far behind my head to unrack.  Putting my feet farther back under me isn't a great idea either because my hip can't take that position.  Ugh, I have some thinking to do. 

At my gym I have the same conundrum for BB BP, I just wedge my feet against the uprights and get a bit more leverage. Then again if you are practicing for PL I guess you shouldn't do that  ::)

DIEL?