Author Topic: I propose a 3 lift competition...  (Read 6135 times)

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 203
Re: I propose a 3 lift competition...
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
I just benched 205 for 8 with a spotter, surprised the hell outta myself, looked at the chart and that = a 246 single.

Kind of an odd thing that BB bench and DB bench is about the same for me, no?

Very VERY odd.  I could probably only press 100lb DB's for 4-6 reps but can do the same with 225 on a BB.  Your BB should be about 20-30lbs heavier I would think.   Decline bench is about 10% heavier than my flat bench.

Yeah I really don't BB bench, just leads to a big right side/small left side for me. Still happy with my 205 x 8 though.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Ambush

• Never Give Up
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Weight: 200
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 02:32:07 AM »
Hmm, I am not to far behind then. Last two times I got over 200 pound bench I fucked up my left shoulder, and pretty much started over after recovering. Earlier this week I did, 200 pds for 8 reps with out any help from my spotter, and no shoulder issues so far. I think I finally got it right or at least figured out how to avoid hurting my left shoulder any more, it hasn't hurt in a long time. I really want to hit 225 for 8 bad! When I can do that I will post up the video. couple more months I guess. I have been adding 5 pounds to my flat bench every two weeks for a few months now.
I am my own hero.

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »
Hmm, I am not to far behind then. Last two times I got over 200 pound bench I fucked up my left shoulder, and pretty much started over after recovering. Earlier this week I did, 200 pds for 8 reps with out any help from my spotter, and no shoulder issues so far. I think I finally got it right or at least figured out how to avoid hurting my left shoulder any more, it hasn't hurt in a long time. I really want to hit 225 for 8 bad! When I can do that I will post up the video. couple more months I guess. I have been adding 5 pounds to my flat bench every two weeks for a few months now.

One thing I have learned recently about benching and injuries.  It is all about form.

I am the last person that should be benching.  A broken collar bone when I was younger left my right shoulder totally out of alignment with the other.  (it sits in almost a full 1" from where it should be).  Plus a separated shoulder from an old hockey injury left lots of scar tissue...etc.

I was convinced in my 20's that I could not bench...so I never did.  I only did dumbell work.

When I returned to lifting, I was doing it at home, so I did not have the luxury of just doing dumbell work. (not enough dumbells).   I had to learn to bench.

Long story short...by starting slow and working my way up, I now have a reasonable bench.  It is not spectacular.....but in the 330-340 range.  I dont feel it is that bad for a guy who shouldn't be benching anyway!   When I go heavy, I have to be real careful and concentrate on keeping my right shoulder from rolling out (and causing injury).... But other then that...I dont even notice anymore.  Plus, my shoulders are in the best condition (pain wise) that they have been in 15 years.  Almost pain free and only limited ROM in my right one.

Just check the ego....drop down the weight, learn a good form, and build up slow.  In no time the weight will come.

I feel foolish for all the years I spent making excuses about why I couldnt bench....  I probably missed out on a lot of development.  I think besides my calves, my chest is one of my lagging bodyparts (visually especially compared to my back)

Offline Slow_Progress

• 925 3 lift combo...not sure what my goal is now.
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 185.0
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
Did some screwing around in the gym this morning with a friend.  Nothing on video, unfortunately, but I did pull 360x1 and squat 300x1.

New 3 lift total (unofficial) = 265Bench+300Squat+360Dead = 925/180lbs = 5.13

Haven't had time to put my bench video up, just been busy.
Optimus est non satis

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »

One thing I have learned recently about benching and injuries.  It is all about form.

I am the last person that should be benching.  A broken collar bone when I was younger left my right shoulder totally out of alignment with the other.  (it sits in almost a full 1" from where it should be).  Plus a separated shoulder from an old hockey injury left lots of scar tissue...etc.

I was convinced in my 20's that I could not bench...so I never did.  I only did dumbell work.

When I returned to lifting, I was doing it at home, so I did not have the luxury of just doing dumbell work. (not enough dumbells).   I had to learn to bench.

Long story short...by starting slow and working my way up, I now have a reasonable bench.  It is not spectacular.....but in the 330-340 range.  I dont feel it is that bad for a guy who shouldn't be benching anyway!   When I go heavy, I have to be real careful and concentrate on keeping my right shoulder from rolling out (and causing injury).... But other then that...I dont even notice anymore.  Plus, my shoulders are in the best condition (pain wise) that they have been in 15 years.  Almost pain free and only limited ROM in my right one.

Just check the ego....drop down the weight, learn a good form, and build up slow.  In no time the weight will come.

I feel foolish for all the years I spent making excuses about why I couldnt bench....  I probably missed out on a lot of development.  I think besides my calves, my chest is one of my lagging bodyparts (visually especially compared to my back)

my problem is that I bench with my shoulders. Not sure if it's my form or physiology. Yesterday I BB BP'ed and my shoulders are sore, but not my chest  >:( . I also feel like my right side is doing a lot more work.

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
So today I decided to just go in the gym and screw around a little.  I have been considering bringing in a weekend session with deads and calves.  (Having trouble finding a place for deads on a 3 day split)...and needing to find a day to get my extra calf workout in.

I now know what my plates weigh....I decided to do some pulls.

Since having pneumonia (which is not quite gone but I am feeling 90%)  I have not deadlifted in almost a month so I was not sure what to expect.

My sets went as follows
Warmup:
225x5
315x3
408x3

So now that I was warm (and working with weights I knew were right)  I put on 495 (which is actually 501 with my weights)

I was planning on some reps, but when I pulled it, it was so light that I saved myself for some more weight. :)

! Private video

So....521 seemed like the next logical progression.  I would have been happy with a single...but again it came up so light, I decided I wanted more. (I even said to myself "too light" after I pulled my first one ;) )

! Private video

This was pretty cool....And I walked away happy.... A 1rm calc says thats a 570 range 1rm (but I dont buy that).  I do think I could have pulled more....but I will wait till I am deadlifting more regularly to push my limits....for now, I am looking for slow and controlled movements and avoid trying anything explosive.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »
private vids are teh private. ???

DIEL?

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »
Sorry./.....vids fixed !

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »
BW x2 + >100'lbs X 3 :o

Not too shabby  8)

DIEL?

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »
BW x2 + >100'lbs X 3 :o

Not too shabby  8)

Thanks man.  I dont consider myself that strong.....but I do think that I would probably make an OK power lifter if I trained as one.  I am ok with just being reasonably strong as is (with bodybuilder type training)....and trying to make bodybuilding progress at the same time.   I am not willing to pursue strength only over my overall goals to continue to grow.  Especially with only 3 workouts a week for me, that does not leave me the time to fit in that type of training....so I'll just take what I can get. 

I think if I went for it,.. I could pull over 600.  But that would take a bunch of accessory training...rack pulls, deficits...explosive work...etc.  It is just not in the cards for me right now....I have a lot of growing to catch up on after being out of the gym for so long.

Still I am happy with where I am at...and it is fun to lift heavier stuff.   

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »
I thought I was strong, then I looked up the state record for deads at my age/weight. 553 lbs. Not gonna happen in this lifetime.

DIEL?

Offline Slow_Progress

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »

Sorry if it shows up rotated, my "smart" phone is surprisingly difficult to use as a camcorder.
Optimus est non satis

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 09:44:57 PM »
looked pretty easy.

Who was the guy you paid to do it?  ???

J/K  ;D nice press.

DIEL?

Offline Slow_Progress

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »
looked pretty easy.

Who was the guy you paid to do it?  ???

J/K  ;D nice press.

Negged.
Optimus est non satis

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
315 Six reps!......TWICE....by accident

Funny story.   I have never been the best bencher.  I have a screwed up shoulder (separated once bad) and messed up geometry from a broken collarbone.  I always try to play conservative when I bench to keep my bad shoulder from 'rolling out'.  In fact...in my 20's I did not even barbell bench because I was convinced I could not.  (only dumbell work)

Another thing is I workout at home alone without a spotter.   Because of these things, I have never put three plates on the bar.

This weeks marks the peak of my strength cycle and I did some really good deads yesterday so I was feeling strong. (despite still getting over pneumonia).

I decided to slap on 315 and just said 'screw it', knowing I could handle the weight.  (I left the collars off just in case).

I lifted off and it was light as hell.....  I banged out a set and went over and stopped my vid camera on my phone..... and it did NOT record!

Boy I was ticked....so I had no choice but to just do it again!  :)   I was able to squeeze it out just barely the second time....

So I ended up doing 315 x 6 ...twice.      At least I now know that ceiling is broken and I can continue to progress.  It was a big mental block for me...and not too bad for a guy that shouldnt be benching ;)  (what my doc told me a long time ago)

315 x 6
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:58:36 PM by induced_drag »