Author Topic: The Healing Process and Stretching  (Read 1728 times)

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 203
The Healing Process and Stretching
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:14:36 PM »
I'm big on stretching, very flexible, I guess from my wrestling days. I always warm up with rowing and end my w/o with some deep stretching. When I stretch, I'm often stretching sore muscle that are in the rebuilding phase.

At the back of my mind something has been bothering me for awhile. When I asked BodyHard about flexing sore muscles he said:

"I never interfere with the healing process"

I respect his opinion and wonder if my stretching of sore muscles constitutes interfering with the healing process.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:17:55 PM by Bando »
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: The Healing Process and Stretching
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:35:45 AM »
Pure broscience: I never stretch and never have.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Marius

• User Title
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 193 Pounds
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »
I don't think it interferes. Stretching helps get more blood to the area, doesn't it? I think it does, not really sure. But you know how light squatting works to help heal a pulled muscle? I think the same thing would apply to stretching and recovery.

For what it's worth, I stretch, too.
TMonkey is one Bad Ass Mother Fucker.

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
I used to ignore stretching.  It finally caught up with me and began to cause issues. 

An example is my biceps became tight to the point where even holding things straight arm would put tension on them.  I ended up straining my bicep tendons in this way.

I figured out that lack of flexibility was an issues especially in my upper body.  I began stretching between sets (while warm already).   This has already helped with about 80% of my bicep tendon issues.  (I had spent 3 months nursing them and rest was not helping).

Same goes for RC stretches and shoulders.  I hear all these guys complain about how bad their shoulders are....yet they dont do anything about it.  My shoulders are as bad as anyone's.  5 years ago, I could not even lift my infant children out of their car seats.  (I would have to have my wife do it).
 I started rehabbing them and do regular RC stretches.  Now, my shoulders are as good as they have ever been.  They are not perfect, but I have no issues during workouts or any pain.

Stretching can be a very good thing.

Offline BigDaddy

• BigDaddy is in the house
  • Height: 6'6"
  • Weight: 255
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
Since I got back into the gym 2 years ago, I've stretched before and after every workout.  Don't know if it helps, but I'm certainly more flexible than I was 2 years ago, and I've been mostly injury free during that time.
"If you want something you have never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done."

"Donít tell me what you canít do ó you donít know what you canít do. What you think you canít do is only what you wonít do."

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 203
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
Since I got back into the gym 2 years ago, I've stretched before and after every workout.  Don't know if it helps, but I'm certainly more flexible than I was 2 years ago, and I've been mostly injury free during that time.

I used to ignore stretching.  It finally caught up with me and began to cause issues. 

An example is my biceps became tight to the point where even holding things straight arm would put tension on them.  I ended up straining my bicep tendons in this way.

I figured out that lack of flexibility was an issues especially in my upper body.  I began stretching between sets (while warm already).   This has already helped with about 80% of my bicep tendon issues.  (I had spent 3 months nursing them and rest was not helping).

Same goes for RC stretches and shoulders.  I hear all these guys complain about how bad their shoulders are....yet they dont do anything about it.  My shoulders are as bad as anyone's.  5 years ago, I could not even lift my infant children out of their car seats.  (I would have to have my wife do it).
 I started rehabbing them and do regular RC stretches.  Now, my shoulders are as good as they have ever been.  They are not perfect, but I have no issues during workouts or any pain.

Stretching can be a very good thing.

zactly.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline djflex

• Hey, you gonna finish that sandwich ?
  • Height: 5 6
  • Weight: Pleasantly plump
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »
The only time is stretch is when i " stretch out on the couch"

But i need to start, to try and help my back as much as possible.
Carrots may be good for your eyes,
But booze will double your vision