Author Topic: Are you a bodybuilder?  (Read 10064 times)

Offline Simp

• Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 150
Re: Are you a bodybuilder?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
Unless you compete, then  Why would a call someone who lifts every day but never diets or puts themselves through the hell that is bb competition a bodybuilder?

How do you define this word.  I take it that most people's definition is far more lenient than mine.

I think comparing competing in BB as going through hell is a bit of an over statement, how can something one does out of choice for enjoyment be hellish. You should try visiting an oncology ward at a hospital, I'm doing this a lot at the moment, if a Bodybuilder was in my wife's shoes I'm sure they'd prefer to diet than be going through chemo.

I take it your definition of hell is a little softer than mine.
It's the hell that, and I quote, is a bb competition. 

I'm sorry for your current situation, but you're splitting hairs and looking for a fight. I'm not into that.

Offline hochspeyer

• Desert Shield/Storm and Psychic Wars Veteran
    • A homegrown DBA exploring #notsobigdata
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 244
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
Unless you compete, then  Why would a call someone who lifts every day but never diets or puts themselves through the hell that is bb competition a bodybuilder?

How do you define this word.  I take it that most people's definition is far more lenient than mine.

I think comparing competing in BB as going through hell is a bit of an over statement, how can something one does out of choice for enjoyment be hellish. You should try visiting an oncology ward at a hospital, I'm doing this a lot at the moment, if a Bodybuilder was in my wife's shoes I'm sure they'd prefer to diet than be going through chemo.

I'm sorry for your current situation, but you're splitting hairs and looking for a fight. I'm not into that.
C'mon, Simp, it IS a hair-splitting thread. The nuances here have a great potential for entering the realm of "how many angels can dance on a pinhead".
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja:

Offline Simp

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »

C'mon, Simp, it IS a hair-splitting thread. The nuances here have a great potential for entering the realm of "how many angels can dance on a pinhead".
I replied.  It was ugly.  I deleted. 

I disagree with you, Hoch.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
I replied.  It was ugly.  I deleted. 
[/quote]

You must've got it quick because it's not in the recylce bin.

dammit!    :D
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline StressMonkey

• Very Manly Muppet
  • Weight: 158.2
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
Absolutely not.  I can't imagine how hard it is to follow a super strict diet, train on a deficit, etc etc.

Recreational weightlifter for sure.

Offline Ambush

• Never Give Up
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Weight: 200
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »
You can be a bodybuilder without getting on stage. The difference is when you use the word "pro" or in some cases "amateur." Like Flex was saying earlier in the thread though, it can just be easier to say you lift weights as to avoid further explanations and or what you consider to be the difference. One of my all time favorite hobbies is bass fishing. If anyone ask what I like to do in my free time, I tell them I am a huge bass fisherman, I spend all my spare time on the water bass fishing, weather allowing. Just because I am not a pro bass fisherman doesn't mean I can't tell people that.

I am my own hero.

Offline hochspeyer

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »
I'm sorry, Simp, but I don't see what you're disagreeing with me about.  The video clearly showed a fella that was onstage, competing, but clearly not in contest form. I'm not disagreeing with you, and I probably have less experience than anyone on this board when it comes to lifting, training, preparing or competing. So let me move from that base.

When I started back with weights a few years ago, I had some standard weights and found bb.com. I had lifted as a teen, so I knew I liked lifting, and started doing it again. Yadda yadda yadda.

"Bodybuilding is a form of body modification involving intensive muscle hypertrophy. An individual who engages in this activity is referred to as a bodybuilder. In competitive and professional bodybuilding, bodybuilders display their physiques to a panel of judges, who assign points based on their appearance. Bodybuilders prepare for competition through a combination of fat loss, oils, and tanning (or tanning lotions) which combined with lighting make the definition of the muscle group more distinct." Cue shitstorm.

I don't necessarily agree with that definition, but it is a definition. Please note that the definition separates the act of bodybuilding from competition. Again, I am not saying this is THE definitive definition, but it is the only definition that has been posted. I'm sure there are better ones out there- someone more knowledgeable can post one.
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja:

Offline Tyrbolift

• Height: 6'
  • Weight: 200
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 08:20:05 AM »
Bodybuilder.

If I compete, then I am a competitive bodybuilder.

If I don't compete, I am a recreational bodybuilder.

Offline Simp

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 08:26:27 AM »
I'm sorry, Simp, but I don't see what you're disagreeing with me about.  The video clearly showed a fella that was onstage, competing, but clearly not in contest form. I'm not disagreeing with you, and I probably have less experience than anyone on this board when it comes to lifting, training, preparing or competing. So let me move from that base.

When I started back with weights a few years ago, I had some standard weights and found bb.com. I had lifted as a teen, so I knew I liked lifting, and started doing it again. Yadda yadda yadda.

"Bodybuilding is a form of body modification involving intensive muscle hypertrophy. An individual who engages in this activity is referred to as a bodybuilder. In competitive and professional bodybuilding, bodybuilders display their physiques to a panel of judges, who assign points based on their appearance. Bodybuilders prepare for competition through a combination of fat loss, oils, and tanning (or tanning lotions) which combined with lighting make the definition of the muscle group more distinct." Cue shitstorm.

I don't necessarily agree with that definition, but it is a definition. Please note that the definition separates the act of bodybuilding from competition. Again, I am not saying this is THE definitive definition, but it is the only definition that has been posted. I'm sure there are better ones out there- someone more knowledgeable can post one.
Go back.  Reread what you quoted.  I think you're failing at reading comprehension today.  You didn't comment on the video.

Offline hochspeyer

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 11:52:02 AM »
 :) I'm a little dense today (who am i kidding... "today"?)- but I think that there's a comment on the video in the second sentence there.
Rep 9 crew

Offline erinlee01

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 160
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »
Let me try this again (I fail at comprehending what the next button means).

I'd disagree that you need to compete to call yourself a bodybuilder.  To explain why, look at runners.  Anyone who consistently runs and trains specifically in running refers to themselves as a runner.  However, many of them do not enter races.  Those that do call themselves "competitive runners".

Same with bodybuilding.  By definition, a bodybuilder is someone who develops a muscular physique through diet and exercise.  Nothing about that says competition. 

I'd call anyone who weight trains and eats specifically to build an aesthetically pleasing physique a bodybuilder.  Those that step on stage would be competitive bodybuilders.

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
This will likely end up as a Splitting Hairs discussion, but I do believe that is what we're doing.

If I wanted to train for it, and then set out one morning and run 26 miles, did I run a Marathon?  No, but I could if I wanted to register and participate in one.  Then I could say that I ran a Marathon.

Likewise, if I did a Powerlifting Meet, but bombed out on my squat, would I still call myself a Powerlifter?  Probably not.

Much like E-stats.  I can squat over 400lbs, because I posted a video showing that.  No arguing there. 

It's a tough line to draw in the sand.  That video clearly shows that there is one guy on stage that deserves a trophy.  He's a bodybuilder.  Then again, what if that other guy had dieted down.  Maybe this is the best shape of his life. Who knows.  I can judge based on what I'm looking at, though.

Overall, I'm going to disagree with you Erin.  I think that to call yourself a "Bodybuilder" means you've Added Mass to your body, dieted down, and stepped on stage to show your Muscularity and be judged against your peers.

I can't call myself that.  There are others on this site, that can.  To call myself a Bodybuilder, would be a disservice to the guys and gals that have gotten on stage.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline Marius

• User Title
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 193 Pounds
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »
Nah, no bodybuilder here. I just like picking up heavy stuff.

And throwing it.
TMonkey is one Bad Ass Mother Fucker.

Offline Simp

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
:) I'm a little dense today (who am i kidding... "today"?)- but I think that there's a comment on the video in the second sentence there.
nope.

Offline erinlee01

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 160
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
Well, saying you are a marathoner by definition means that you ran a marathon.  Which isn't what I said - I said runner.  If you trained consistently to the point where you can run 26 miles, you would qualify as a runner.  Doesn't matter if you actually run a race or not.  You can't get to the point where you run 26 miles overnight.  It takes months and months of consistent training. 

The same holds true for someone who has build an impressive muscular physique.  It didn't happen in months.  It takes years of dedicating yourself to eating and training right.

In both cases, it's an entire lifestyle.  If someone puts in that much effort and devotes that much of their lives to a pursuit, I feel they've earned the description.  There are people who have far more dedication to the sport than some who consistently step on stage.