Author Topic: Marius- Get In Here!  (Read 1985 times)

Offline hochspeyer

• Desert Shield/Storm and Psychic Wars Veteran
    • A homegrown DBA exploring #notsobigdata
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 244
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja:

Offline Marius

• User Title
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 193 Pounds
Re: Marius- Get In Here!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
My biased analysis of the article in question:

The title is bullshit. No kettlebell exercise should be "easy", or you're wasting your time with them. If you want easy, ride fucking stationary bike.

In the first paragraph, the author makes it sound like kettlebells are some kind of yoga tool. That's just wrong. They're not developmental of grace unless you use a featherweight 'bell. They're good for developing raw power and toughing up your trunk for combat and heavy lifting by tightening your ability to exert stronger contractions within the muscles.

In the second paragraph, the author refers to them as "kettleballs" and should be beaten and left in a bloody heap of saliva and and mucus from her own runny nose.

Oh, my God. 15-20 pounds for a man? That's a load of BS. The standard that a man starts training with is a 16kg one (~35 pounds) to learn the basic techniques. This is candy-coated garbage. If 16kg is too much to start, the formula is perform high-volume swings every day until you can clean it. Then clean it at high volume every day until you can snatch it. THEN you move on to the more complex exercises while still performing the basics in your program.

One-handed swings are far more effective for developing explosive power than two-handed swings, but two-handed swings are great for house wives to feel like they're accomplishing something. More than head upright, it's better to look slightly up to help maintain the arch in your back. If you look up, you can't roll forward.

OK, the form of the actual swing itself is a pretty good description of how to do it, but if you lift with the hips more than thrust, you'll develop more application toward the clean and snatch which will help if you get into Olympic lifting.

The clean description is all wrong. You DO NOT swing the kettlebell between your legs unless you're having trouble with the weight, like if you're exhausting your traps or lats or hams or something. A clean should be performed from a dead hang for the first rep and a vertical lowering to recovery after racking the kettlebell. I clean from just above the floor for every rep. That conditioning video I posted shows my technique, and you can see I do NOT swing the kettlebell between my legs. This is a cheat for people who don't want to push themselves and would rather remain weak and want to feel better about themselves.

Where she describes the kettlebell swinging over and hitting your forearm, she's displaying vast amounts of ignorance. The kettlebell should not "hit" your forearm. The technique she's describing of gripping the handle tight and dipping the knees is almost right. What you're really doing is snapping your hips to absorb the kinetic energy back down the length of your body, the result of which is a slight bending in the knees. If the kettlebell impacts or "hits" your forearm, improve your technique to absorb the kinetic energy with your hips. At the end of the clean, the kettlebell should come to rest on your forearm, not hit it.

Then she says, "The entire exercise can be carried out using one hand, switching at the top or bottom of the drill." CAN be used with one hand? What the hell? How do you two-hand clean a kettlebell??? And you should always change hands at the bottom of the movement, not the top. Changing at the top is a recipe for injuring your shoulder...Of course, if you're using a 5-pound kettlebell, this won't be an issue.  ::)

In the "one-arm" snatch...again how the hell do you two-handed snatch a kettlebell? Stupid.

Same thing about swinging. This is Crossfit bullshit. Snatches should be performed from a hang, not a swing. Same thing about the hip/knee thing in this paragraph, but at least this time she says, "to slow the kettlebell and avoid the impact on the forearm."

"Kettlebells can make a huge difference in your strength, core, muscle tone and stamina. The exercises are simple but effective. Losing weight is an added bonus! Enjoy!"

At least she got something right.
TMonkey is one Bad Ass Mother Fucker.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 203
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
wow, you really know your stuff when it comes to kettleballs Marius
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Marius

• User Title
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 193 Pounds
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
12 years of experience will do that.
TMonkey is one Bad Ass Mother Fucker.

Offline hochspeyer

• Desert Shield/Storm and Psychic Wars Veteran
    • A homegrown DBA exploring #notsobigdata
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 244
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
Thanks, Marius! Snookums is interested- I'll show her your comments, because she is currently leaning toward the lighter ones.
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja:

Offline Pharmamarketer

• Addicted
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 196
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »
Geez, you could have put some thought into the answer :D

My biased analysis of the article in question:

The title is bullshit. No kettlebell exercise should be "easy", or you're wasting your time with them. If you want easy, ride fucking stationary bike.

In the first paragraph, the author makes it sound like kettlebells are some kind of yoga tool. That's just wrong. They're not developmental of grace unless you use a featherweight 'bell. They're good for developing raw power and toughing up your trunk for combat and heavy lifting by tightening your ability to exert stronger contractions within the muscles.

In the second paragraph, the author refers to them as "kettleballs" and should be beaten and left in a bloody heap of saliva and and mucus from her own runny nose.

Oh, my God. 15-20 pounds for a man? That's a load of BS. The standard that a man starts training with is a 16kg one (~35 pounds) to learn the basic techniques. This is candy-coated garbage. If 16kg is too much to start, the formula is perform high-volume swings every day until you can clean it. Then clean it at high volume every day until you can snatch it. THEN you move on to the more complex exercises while still performing the basics in your program.

One-handed swings are far more effective for developing explosive power than two-handed swings, but two-handed swings are great for house wives to feel like they're accomplishing something. More than head upright, it's better to look slightly up to help maintain the arch in your back. If you look up, you can't roll forward.

OK, the form of the actual swing itself is a pretty good description of how to do it, but if you lift with the hips more than thrust, you'll develop more application toward the clean and snatch which will help if you get into Olympic lifting.

The clean description is all wrong. You DO NOT swing the kettlebell between your legs unless you're having trouble with the weight, like if you're exhausting your traps or lats or hams or something. A clean should be performed from a dead hang for the first rep and a vertical lowering to recovery after racking the kettlebell. I clean from just above the floor for every rep. That conditioning video I posted shows my technique, and you can see I do NOT swing the kettlebell between my legs. This is a cheat for people who don't want to push themselves and would rather remain weak and want to feel better about themselves.

Where she describes the kettlebell swinging over and hitting your forearm, she's displaying vast amounts of ignorance. The kettlebell should not "hit" your forearm. The technique she's describing of gripping the handle tight and dipping the knees is almost right. What you're really doing is snapping your hips to absorb the kinetic energy back down the length of your body, the result of which is a slight bending in the knees. If the kettlebell impacts or "hits" your forearm, improve your technique to absorb the kinetic energy with your hips. At the end of the clean, the kettlebell should come to rest on your forearm, not hit it.

Then she says, "The entire exercise can be carried out using one hand, switching at the top or bottom of the drill." CAN be used with one hand? What the hell? How do you two-hand clean a kettlebell??? And you should always change hands at the bottom of the movement, not the top. Changing at the top is a recipe for injuring your shoulder...Of course, if you're using a 5-pound kettlebell, this won't be an issue.  ::)

In the "one-arm" snatch...again how the hell do you two-handed snatch a kettlebell? Stupid.

Same thing about swinging. This is Crossfit bullshit. Snatches should be performed from a hang, not a swing. Same thing about the hip/knee thing in this paragraph, but at least this time she says, "to slow the kettlebell and avoid the impact on the forearm."

"Kettlebells can make a huge difference in your strength, core, muscle tone and stamina. The exercises are simple but effective. Losing weight is an added bonus! Enjoy!"

At least she got something right.