Author Topic: No rest for the wicked - Buffalo Meet!!!  (Read 2176 times)

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
Re: No rest for the wicked - Buffalo Meet!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »
I was at the venue in Utica just a few minutes past 7am and I didn't start lifting until after 4pm. 

Finished lifting at around 9pm

That's a long fukking day.

But you got a good parking spot!
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 11:51:37 AM »
I was at the venue in Utica just a few minutes past 7am and I didn't start lifting until after 4pm. 

Finished lifting at around 9pm

That's a long fukking day.

But you got a good parking spot!

8)
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Offline LisaSkinnoble

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »
So... here's what's been happening.

Yes, Spotters & Loaders should be scheduled ahead of time.  With all my Meets, the loaders are paid and sorted, and they know they'll be getting paid.  So, I usually don't have any issue with it.  Judges are sorted ahead of time, and they know as well, that they'll get paid.

Apparently, 5 people were scheduled to Spot & Load on Saturday.  None of them showed up.  3 judges were scheduled, 1 showed up. 
Yes, this is full and well, Gene's issue.  He should have called and confirmed and planned for it.  That's what a Meet Director does.  After the Meet, everyone, except for the Gym owner (and the two guys picking up the chairs), headed out.  I can understand that, as they've paid $100 to compete, it was a long day, and as a customer, they can do that. 

As most of you all saw, I jumped in to assist as well.  Its part of what I do for RPS.  Gene does not charge me for sanctioning the Meets I run.  The payback, is that I help assist at the big New England Meets, without compensation. In two weeks, I'll be in NJ, sitting in a Judges chair all weekend, and then assisting with Clean-up.  Gene pays for my Hotel room, and picks up food & Tolls.  He's also compensating me the November Meet. I'll also be there until the venue is packed up and cleaned up. 

There's been some talk of "Sponsor" gyms assisting at a Meet, and being recognized as a group assisting the Meet.  Which is honestly how it should be.  The NJ Meets, are sponsored by Jersey Iron.  The Power Challenge up here, was sponsored by TPS (it's now being sponsored by a different gym).  The VT/NH Meets are all sponsored by Fair Haven Fitness.  It's that gyms responsibility to provided Spotters/Loaders. 

I don't know the contract between the Crossfit GYm and Gene last weekend, but it's usually $1000-$1500 to rent the space and provide support.  Again, dependent upon the contract they work out. 
My Meets, the Venue gets the door fee (and Trev can attest, it's a packed house).  That ranges from $800-$2000 depending on Spectators.

At this past Meet, I was there with Sabrina and the Boys, and the I-S crew.  I felt I should stay and help Gene clean up, but honestly I'd been there since 7am, and my last Dead landed at 9pm or so.  I was exhausted and simply wanted to get home.  As it was, we didn't get to bed until nearly 11pm, because the batteries in our hotel room door died, and the poor girl at the front counter had no clue how to change them out.  We were literally locked out of our room.  She scared up a mechanical key, and was able to get us in, and get the batteries sorted.

In retrospect, if the I-S crew had stayed and all of us had given him a hand, the clean-up would have gone quick and Gene would have been in LaLa Land with I-S.  Each of us had been through a long day, and I knew we were all smoked.

Small Secret here, I have my disagreements with Gene, with multiple reasons why.  I had a boss years back, that told me two things.  Part of my Job, is to make him look good.  His job, is to get the next one.  If I don't do mine, he can't do his.  In this case, with all my Meets, I aim to make the Lifters first, so they enjoy it and want to do bigger RPS Meets.  Same boss, also told me, it's not part of my job to like him.  I don't follow Gene on Facebook.  I do call and review with him on a regular basis.  I was on the phone for an hour with him on Sunday evening.

There are changes coming to RPS, and it relates to very much this issue.  Gene nearly landed in the ER on Saturday night because of exhaustion.  Weekends like this one, put stress on his Marriage, and with everything involved, his doctor has been telling him to slow down for 2 years now. 

If there's a Meet where I-S wants to get involved, the potential to have an I-S banner hanging behind the platform, could very well be available.

If I were Gene and Ame, I would pay a couple of people to help with loading and cleanup afterwards.  Two guys, a few hours each. 

I don't know about down there, but up here, our high school kids must perform 40 hours of volunteer work throughout high school in order to graduate.  It'd be pretty easy to find some Grade 11 or 12 students up here to do to the work.  Most kids leave it until their last couple of years of school and are then scrambling to find the work to get their hours in.  The rule is, that the student cannot perform work that is normally performed by a paid employee.  (Otherwise, all parents would just bring their kids to work!).  Anyway, just a thought for their Canadian meets.

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
I don't know about down there, but up here, our high school kids must perform 40 hours of volunteer work throughout high school in order to graduate.  It'd be pretty easy to find some Grade 11 or 12 students up here to do to the work.  Most kids leave it until their last couple of years of school and are then scrambling to find the work to get their hours in.  The rule is, that the student cannot perform work that is normally performed by a paid employee.  (Otherwise, all parents would just bring their kids to work!).  Anyway, just a thought for their Canadian meets.

That's an interesting thought.  I also had to do that in high school, so it is this side of the border as well. 

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 176
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »

Side note: always wondered what would happen if one of those damned electronic hotel door locks failed.  :(

Locks on my $70 hotel room worked just fine.  ;D
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »
I probably would have ended up sleeping in the hallway on that night  ;D  I don't think I was awake 5 minutes after getting in the room.  Sounds like a shitty way to get back from the meet man.
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »

If I were Gene and Ame, I would pay a couple of people to help with loading and cleanup afterwards.  Two guys, a few hours each. 

Great info Alex. Knew you'd have some good insight.

NO we don't make our kids do anything like that to graduate.

I'm not sure I'd even do that. Honestly, Id look to tie compensation to the venue for help with spotters, loaders, judges, set-up and clean-up. A tiered system where  they stand to lose money based on those commitments not being filled. In exchange they can make a little extra if they are. Either way I can understand it not being an easy thing to coordinate but it seems their current system is flawed and passing that blame onto the lifters or audience isn't going to get it solved. 
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Dm2Dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
/ \

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
Y'all are lightweights.

Lisa and I drank beer and listened to tunes until about 2am.

NAKED!

:D

ok, not naked.  :)
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Offline itsagoodday

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »
Y'all are lightweights.

Lisa and I drank beer and listened to tunes until about 2am.

NAKED!

As long as you weren't also locked out of your room at the time, it's all good.   ;D

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Weight: a fat 190-sumfin
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »
How full was this meet last year?  I'm on the fence for it as of now because my wife will be flying out of town that Monday for business.  I miss lifting with ya'll.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2017, 04:31:11 PM »
I miss lifting with ya'll.

Miss you too, pookie.

No Homer.  :D
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Offline itsagoodday

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2017, 09:01:01 PM »
How full was this meet last year?  I'm on the fence for it as of now because my wife will be flying out of town that Monday for business.  I miss lifting with ya'll.

Maybe I should answer this since I was the only one there last year  ;D

There were enough lifters for two days, but I believe there was some space left both days.  I only went on Saturday, and we got out 6-7 pm or something like that.  That having been said, I'm hearing rumblings from a number of people who did not do Utica and are headed to Buffalo instead, so it could be busier this year.

Offline LisaSkinnoble

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »
Bumpety bump.  Five weeks to go!

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 03:18:07 PM »
Hotel is Booked.  Registrations done.

See you in Buffalo, bitches!
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Offline itsagoodday

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
Bumpety bump.  Five weeks to go!

:o :o :o

I was actually just saying I needed to register for this meet still lol.  I'll have it in by next week at the latest.   8)