Author Topic: Priming myself to lift again  (Read 219 times)

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
Priming myself to lift again
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:00:01 PM »
As a lot of you guys know....my training has been very ho-hum as of late.   I am skinny (in my head) and cant muster up much motivation.   I feel weak and run down most every day and a general malaise.   I have not missed any workouts, but as of late, I do a lot of machines and really a bunch of nothing.

I look probably in the best shape I have ever been, but I dont really have any direction and lifes pressures mean I am enduring my workouts as of late rather than being excited to do them.

Last week, I decided to do some deads.  I think in the past two years I have only done them once.  So I decided to start conditioning my core again.   Last week was 4-5 sets of sloooow reps with 405.  Really taxing my core.  (as my back is still plenty strong to lift, but I know I could injure small supporting muscles).

This week I ramped it up a notch.   I ate Chinese food last night and 1/3 tub of icecream, and for lunch went out to a mexican restaurant.  (yes....that really does make a difference).   I went in with the purpose of dead lifting and light legs. (my new tues workout).   I reserved a nice oly rack with a platform and bumpers.  (never deadlifted with bumpers).   And within 3 sets I was up to 495.   It felt great.  I did 4 sets of 8 reps.  The bar would not hold anymore weight...which was a good thing as it kept my ego in check ;) 

Overall, I felt OK.   I felt good engagement and coordination.   I think I can do this again. (deadlifting that is)  I am not sure, but I think I will do 3-4 sets at that weight for the next few weeks and condition myself again before attempting to go heavy.   Maybe when I can do 10reps on a few sets I will be ready to push a little again.   I cant remember what I used to do with 495, but that seems like a reasonable amount of weight to move.

Who knows.....maybe I can get fired up again to lift?....   The people in my new gym dont really know me as 'that' guy.   Most think I am 'bodybuilder' type.   

I need to remember to be careful though.   I think the food will help, but I am determined to keep leaning.   I might just ramp food mon / half tues and then cut back rest of week and keep seeing if I can progress on the stubborn fat.

I'll post some updates!  Wish me luck

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 178
Re: Priming myself to lift again
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:12:56 PM »
How did you like the bumpers?

I dead with bumpers and love them. The only thing I don't like is that only 405 will fit on them with the 45's. So you can load a 50kg bumper and then your 45's, or 45 bumpers and then traditional plates. Mechanically that shouldn't matter but it throws me off somehow.
cash me on the platform, how bow dah?

"Everyday you rest I get stronger"
-Krohdaddi
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129376541&p=584228943&viewfull=1#post584228943

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »

I dead with bumpers and love them. The only thing I don't like is that only 405 will fit on them with the 45's. So you can load a 50kg bumper and then your 45's, or 45 bumpers and then traditional plates. Mechanically that shouldn't matter but it throws me off somehow.

I LOVED the bumpers.   (the bar was nice too!)   Great whip and with the weight out that far....I felt like I was strong ;).   Yep on not fitting.   I had to use a normal plate on the last one..but I think I drew some cross eyes for doing that.   When I decide to move up in weight, I will probably switch up bars so no one complains I am putting "normal" weights on the good oly bars.

I am really shocked at how good I felt.   I cant tell you how bad the feeling is in the back of my head that I am weak.   I know it sounds funny, but continually leaning has taken a toll on me.   Combined with being lucky to get 6-7 hours sleep nightly, I just dont feel my best.

I dont know how much fire I can generate....but I am going to try to at least deadlift once a week and see what happens.  "Life" has been pretty tough lately.   Not "bad"...just pulled in a lot of directions.   Training is just what it is as of late.

I miss the simpler days when I really had the focus for the gym...but that is not really in the cards for me for the rest of the year or more.   Just going to make the best of it and see what I can do.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:42:56 PM »

I miss the simpler days when I really had the focus for the gym

Don't we all.

I generally start thinking about my workout in the shower. No one is bothering me, I'm naked and touching myself (not that way lol) but the lifting is the highlight of my day and I look forward to it. Of course a bunch of life, family, forgot my band instrument, work stuff happens between getting up and the gym but I end up getting to that place where I really thrive.

Feel really lucky that I get to lift at work and even advise a lifting club as part of my work.

-Krohdaddi
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129376541&p=584228943&viewfull=1#post584228943

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
I'm sure the fire will be back once life settles down for you. Until then just do the best you can.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:12:23 PM »
This might sound funny....but a lot of it is food.   Being on even a minor deficit all the time takes it's toll.

I am thinking of adopting a strategy of eating big monday night and a big lunch tues for my tues evening workout.    I then eat very low carb on Wed.  Moderate carb thurs (workout day).   Carb bump post wo Friday night (pizza night).  Nothing crazy...just 2 slices and maybe a little dessert.    Then low carb weekends.

I'll see if I can make it work.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:31:53 PM »

I LOVED the bumpers.   (the bar was nice too!)   Great whip and with the weight out that far....I felt like I was strong ;).

I was actually thinking about this today. I was squatting just under 2 times BW and the bar was getting bouncy with the bumpers during my ascent. Was an odd feeling, not necessarily bad, but if I was just a little more jerky it might have crumpled me.

-Krohdaddi

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »

I was actually thinking about this today. I was squatting just under 2 times BW and the bar was getting bouncy with the bumpers during my ascent. Was an odd feeling, not necessarily bad, but if I was just a little more jerky it might have crumpled me.

I dont like bar whip on squats at all as I tend to accelerate up and it can get excessive.   I do like a good bending bar on deads though!

On a sad note.....I am shocked that I am not the least bit sore from dead work!   Nothing.   And I have done like zero lower back work in the past year.   All machine stuff so no bent rows, romanian deads and only a few light sets of squats.    Makes zero sense....but maybe a sign that I am still holding on to my ability to do functional work even with little to no stimulus.   But deadlifting like 2 times in two years I cant believe that I am not sore all the way up and down!

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
Did my 4th workout back doing deads. Decided to stay lighter and push myself with higher reps. This is for two reasons. With bumpers, the most that will fit on the bar is 455. (and I am enjoying the bumper plates). Also I have noticed in the past, the weak point injury wise, was always a core muscle for me. To get at these better, I am going to fatigue them and make them come in for support more and more by doing higher reps.

So I warmed up to 405. Put on 455 and pulled one set of 10. I realized I was taking it really easy on myself. So the next set, I dug a little deeper and pulled 14. (full stop) I was really sucking wind by the last rep. Boy that is interval training if I have ever done it.

That set wiped me out enough that I decided 2 sets this week would be enough.

Not sure what I will do next week. Might just play with lighter stuff for a little longer. My new gym sucks for deads. They have hex plates WHICH SUCK!. There is no place to dead and not get glared at if you set it down heavy other than the oly rack which has a padded platform. I dont want to risk injury pulling with non-round plates. They dont like conventional weights over in that area. I have mixed the bumpers with the hexes and that gives an almost proper bar placement on the normal floor. Not really sure what to do.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »
I probably couldn't even pull 225 for 14.  LOL.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 09:07:35 PM »
I probably couldn't even pull 225 for 14.  LOL.

I doubt that..... I took over two years off deadlifting and it is still there.   I was lazy as crap during that time too.   Not like I was even squatting heavy.   Hell....I was so lazy doing machines, I got almost no lower back work.   I dropped all my heavy bent rows...etc.   I would just get on a machine and push and pull.   Just passing time ;)

I FELT in my head like I would be weak...but it is pretty cool to see if you try to produce the force...it is still there.   Have to be careful in some ways.

Not sure how your bicep has healed....but just use straps and work back slow.   I have little doubt it is all still there.....or very close and just need to blow the dust off.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
My new gym sucks for deads. They have hex plates WHICH SUCK!.

I'm not sure who invented those, but they need to be taken out back and hanged. Hell even the Crossfitters hate them.

I did deads at home yesterday and actually enjoyed the old school iron and concrete floor. Love the thunder of bumpers, but heavy iron hitting the floor sounds good also.

-Krohdaddi