Author Topic: The Grind  (Read 427 times)

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
The Grind
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:33:20 AM »
So, one of the women at the meet yesterday pissed all over the place on her third deadlift attempt.  I've seen it on enough lifting videos and know enough about the opposite sex to know it's not uncommon, but that's not the point of this post.  She was beat red, shaking, pissing all over the place, and ramping the crap out of the bar.  She was able to fight every cell in her body telling her to stop.   She was able to overcome it all and lock that weight out.  Now, she did get three red lights, but it was the most impressive lift of the day in my eyes.  I video all my lifts.  I have seen myself grind through tons of bench presses, and squats, but I've never once seen myself look like I was able to grind out a deadlift.  I know the reasons why it's tougher with the deadlift, but it REALLY pisses me off that to this day lack the ability to do it.  I have certainly felt like many of them have been a grind, but the video has shown otherwise.  I think the ones that felt like a grind where situations where my form broke down and either my butt shot up, or the weight got out in front of me and I was still able to move the weight. 

So, I guess I'm just not gonna be happy until I'm red in the face, projectile vomiting, with shit running down my legs during a deadlift and capture this beautiful effort on video.  Sounds normal.   :P
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: The Grind
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 08:25:16 AM »
That's pretty gross.  Never seen/heard of that before. 

I've seen people puke.  I think I would have to stop.

I got a bloody nose once during a squat attempt in the gym and kept going though.  But puking?  I don't think I could lift while heaving.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:42:46 AM »
Ya- I think Ill stay 5lb under whatever it is that will make me do all of that.
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Dm2Dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
/ \

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »
Oh that poor woman!  The first time I ever deadlifted - 90 lbs - I had to run for a wee.  But I think it was just the excitement of the occasion.
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »
I know her fairly well, and talked with her a bit after the Meet.  She was so bummed that she didn't get the lift, but she knew that it would counted as a PR for herself. 

She did grind that one out. She was determined and didn't stop.  It's also not the first time I've seen it happen.

To the topic, though, I've only had a few grinders for Deadlift.  Usually, I know if I'll get it or not when I reach my Knees.  If it's a grinder, I'll stop, and avoid the risk of Injury.

Oh, and for the record, we had rags and disinfectant for the bar.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline Fiend_73

• Height: 6' 1"
  • Weight: 260
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 11:25:27 AM »

Shakes ma head...
powerlifters
y'all are fukking nutz.

Doing a rear double bicep in my show in Toronto and I remember it felt like I was orgasming but if I was I would get the fuck off the stage so I didn't hit anyone.

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »
I have never "ground" anything.   Not worth it to me.   If I cant get it clean, there is no point in the risk of injury that comes along with it.   Now if my kid were lying underneath a pinned car, I would grind all day.   But at our age, I realize the 'live to fight another day' makes a lot of sense.

At higher weights the injuries are more catastrophic as well.   It is one thing to grind out your first 315 dead.  But doing it for a 600lb one comes with much more risk.

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 09:28:05 AM »

Shakes ma head...
powerlifters
y'all are fukking nutz.

Doing a rear double bicep in my show in Toronto and I remember it felt like I was orgasming but if I was I would get the fuck off the stage so I didn't hit anyone.

LOL!  You're hilarious!
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”