Author Topic: Training for my second powerlifting meet  (Read 12004 times)

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
Re: Training for my first powerlifting meet
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »
Chit Dave, sorry thought it was day 1 week 3 you were on....dumbazz gonna dumbazz!

lol you had me back on the site redownloading and thinking I fucked up :D   Was about to go down and do 2 moar sets too.
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Online Dave

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 05:38:58 AM »
Candito 6 week
Cycle 1 l Week 3 l Day 4
upper
430am

Band warmup for shoulders

Bench

20 x bar
10 x 95
5 x 135
3 x 155

Program sets

4-6 x 180 - 6
4-6 x 180 - 6
4-6 x 180 - 6 vid

Tried moving my hands a bit further out throughout the warmup  Settled here.  Not sure if I need to go a bit wider still??  Feels  awkward already but I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Extra Bench w/brand new slingshot

5 x 205
3 x 225
2 x 225 - vid
1 x 225
1 x 235
10 x 185

235 is a pr which I'm obviously not counting but it felt good to put a new weight on the bar and get it to go without a whole lot of difficulty.  That being said I'm not sure if a second rep would have happened.  I like that slingshot  It takes a bit of getting used to but I was surprised on my first set of 205 just how quickly the first rep went back up.  I'll be getting some good use out of it :)

DB Rows (w/oly handle and added plates)

6 x +100
6 x +100
6 x +100

Standing DB OHP

6 x 40s
6 x 40s
6 x 45s

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown (plate loaded)

6 x 110
6 x 130
4 x 130

Pretty much done at this point.  Good session this morning.  Off day tomorrow from the program and back with squats and week 4 on Thursday.
☻/
/ \

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »
Think the hands looked better. Just don't want you doing CGBP on the platform :P Id want my hands a smidge more out but see how this feels. Also notice your wrists? They are turned in instead of straight up and down. Want them straight up and down. Distributes the force better.

Slingshot work!! You got the blue one huh? That one will be good for rep work. You went a bit more in on the SS set than your program set. Not a bad thing really for that but the further your grip is on the SS the more you'll get out of it at the bottom- the more weight you'll be able to add to the bar.

One more week and then the fun week for ya :) PR city is waiting !!
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/ \

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 09:34:19 AM »
I don't have a great bench, but agree his hands could be a smidge wider.  Wider is not always better though, check out Jeremy Hoonstra.  He's got an ok bench with a pretty close grip  8) 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
Great looking uppet session Dave, agree the bench looks better in that position, I guess it's a matter of comfort also though, you can go as wide as hell but if it feels like ass, it's not going to make you bench more. That being said you hit all your reps rather easily. Give it some time where you are and see how it feels. SS is fun stuff, nice work with the extra sets! 
☻/
/ \

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 03:35:12 PM »
I don't have a great bench, but agree his hands could be a smidge wider.  Wider is not always better though, check out Jeremy Hoonstra.  He's got an ok bench with a pretty close grip  8)
lmao, yeah, he's kinda strong
I've trained with him a few times and was going to say the same thing. Really cool guy, I need to get up to Gainsville and train with him again.

Dave- nice slingshot work.  I started out with the yellow one and love it, I have the black one,  I'm still trying to get used to that one.  But when used properly, they are a great supplement.
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online Dave

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »
Today is an off day from the program.  I might say fuck it and start week 4 tonight though.  I'm not exactly needing a lot of recovery this cycle.

Think the hands looked better. Just don't want you doing CGBP on the platform :P Id want my hands a smidge more out but see how this feels. Also notice your wrists? They are turned in instead of straight up and down. Want them straight up and down. Distributes the force better.

Slingshot work!! You got the blue one huh? That one will be good for rep work. You went a bit more in on the SS set than your program set. Not a bad thing really for that but the further your grip is on the SS the more you'll get out of it at the bottom- the more weight you'll be able to add to the bar.

One more week and then the fun week for ya :) PR city is waiting !!

Appreciate it John thanks.  I noticed as well that I automatically went in a bit narrower.  I tried some warmups really wide and hated how that felt.  I'll keep messing about.  Those sets in the videos all felt good. 

I honestly didn't realize there were different ones lol I guess I should have researched that a bit before dropping money  I assumed they did the same thing  ::)  At least it's a decent one.  Felt good to get 10 reps at just below bodyweight in.  I can see me getting some good volume in with it and continue to get used to some heavier weights too,

Thanks tooth will definitely keep working on hand placement.  I'll have to look up Jeremy Hoonstra.   I'm still fairly new to all of this I think :D

Great looking uppet session Dave, agree the bench looks better in that position, I guess it's a matter of comfort also though, you can go as wide as hell but if it feels like ass, it's not going to make you bench more. That being said you hit all your reps rather easily. Give it some time where you are and see how it feels. SS is fun stuff, nice work with the extra sets! 

Thanks buddy!! I'm actually starting to itch to get through these last couple of weeks and start doing some harder work.  Next cycle should be a bit more challenging.  By cycle 4 you will be seeing these  :flame: and  :'( more!

lmao, yeah, he's kinda strong
I've trained with him a few times and was going to say the same thing. Really cool guy, I need to get up to Gainsville and train with him again.

Dave- nice slingshot work.  I started out with the yellow one and love it, I have the black one,  I'm still trying to get used to that one.  But when used properly, they are a great supplement.

Appreciate it man thanks.  That slingshot was fun and I definitely enjoyed getting into some new weights territory with it. 

☻/
/ \

Online Dave

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 05:44:45 AM »
Candito 6 week
Cycle 1 l Week 4 l Day 1
lower
430am

Squats

10 x bar
5 x 95
5 x 135
5 x 155
3 x 185
3 x 205

3 x 225
3 x 230
3 x 235

Slow going up at this time of day but not really a strength issue more of an awake issue. 

Squat walkouts

315 x 30 second hold
365 x 30 second hold
405 x 2 - Very short hold for both sets...first time with 405 on my back and it's really heavy but I was able to get it off the rack without issue.  Didn't walk it out. 

Deadlift accessory

Trap bar deads

6 x 295
6 x 295 (hold on last rep for a few seconds)

And done.  Back tomorrow with upper body.

☻/
/ \

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 07:30:16 AM »
Solid squatting session Dave!

Here's how much I trust myself when I do walkouts....I move the safeties all the way up  ;D  And, I tried 365 as a walkout about a year ago...couldn't even budge it more than an inch.  :(

I think I'll incorporate them again once I'm back on a surplus later this Fall.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:19 AM »
Solid work Dave! Early morning squats are always fun...
405 holds!! Heavy chit!
☻/
/ \

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2016, 11:23:24 AM »
Heard there was some lifting going on over here...lurker is IN

(HammerH)
☻/
/ \
Gains weight on diet

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »

(HammerH)
Cough…
IS journal
cough
☻/
/ \

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »
Nice work Dave, congrats on the 405 holds!
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online Dave

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2016, 05:54:25 PM »
Solid squatting session Dave!

Here's how much I trust myself when I do walkouts....I move the safeties all the way up  ;D  And, I tried 365 as a walkout about a year ago...couldn't even budge it more than an inch.  :(

I think I'll incorporate them again once I'm back on a surplus later this Fall.

It was a decent session.  The walkouts were what made it good for me.  I'm starting to get a fair bit of confidence from them.

Solid work Dave! Early morning squats are always fun...
405 holds!! Heavy chit!

Yeah buddy 405 ...I'm coming after ya :P  Seriously though I decided to say fuck it and give it a go.  Now that I know I can I'll be doing them at that weight more often. 

(HammerH)

I keep hitting refresh and I'm yet to see a new journal here :D  Welcome aboard man!!

Nice work Dave, congrats on the 405 holds!

Thanks man.  Taking a big step with them.  Need to keep it going. 

☻/
/ \

Online Dave

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 05:33:57 AM »
Candito 6 week
Cycle 1 l Week 4 l Day 2
upper
430am

Shoulder warmup with bands

Bench

20 x bar
8 x 95
6 x 135
3 x 155

Program Sets

3 x 175
3 x 180
3 x 185

Widened my grip a bit more today and could really feel a difference.  I felt sturdier than normal on the bench.  I'll stick with this position for awhile and see how it goes with heavier weights.

Extra slingshot Bench

12 x 185
3 x 205
F x 245 - Got greedy :rolleyes:  stopped halfway up

Bench was good this morning but pretty easy again.  I really set this cycle to low.  Next one will be more challenging.

DB Rows

12 x 70s
10 x 70s
8 x 70s
6 x 70s

Standing DB OHP

12 x 30s
12 x 30s
10 x 35s
8 x 40s

Plate loaded widegrip lat pulldowns

12 x +90
12 x +90
10 x +110
8 x +110

That's it.  No optionals today. 

Fighting a cold and feeling like sh!t this morning.  Took a lot of effort to not just grab an extra hour sleep before work.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 05:59:04 AM by Dave »
☻/
/ \