Author Topic: How frequently do you train your wrapped squat?  (Read 683 times)

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
How frequently do you train your wrapped squat?
« on: August 07, 2016, 08:16:51 PM »
Alright, so my meet is over and I have a looooong time to train for next April.  I'm finally getting used to using wraps on my squat, and feeling pretty positive about them.  So my question is, when you don't have a meet in the immediate future, how often are you training with wraps?  It seems like answers range from "never, only when I'm a few weeks out from a meet" to "every time I squat".  I have the feeling I need to fall somewhere in the middle, but I honestly just can't decide how to schedule them in. 

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Re: How frequently do you train your wrapped squat?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 10:47:17 PM »
Leading up to my meet, i trained with wraps every week.   After my meet, maybe twice.   I've taken a break from them so i can train my raw number more.   It's been steadily climbing,  also wrapping takes a lot of time, such u don't have during lunch break,  so by staying raw i can get more volume, or me singles in.   I'll probably wrap every couple months just so i can stay used to the heavier weight on my shoulders.   
Just to clarify,  I always train in sleeves, mine are not tight though, so they don't offer assistance.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:30:07 AM by Get-n-fit »
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 07:24:26 AM »
My knees are toast, so I use sleeves if it's a light day or an accessory squat, but anything heavy I have sleeves now.  If I didn't have knee pain, I'd just wear them a couple times to get the "feel for them" prior to a meet. 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:14:24 AM »
My knees are toast, so I use sleeves if it's a light day or an accessory squat, but anything heavy I have sleeves now.  If I didn't have knee pain, I'd just wear them a couple times to get the "feel for them" prior to a meet. 

What kind of sleeves do you wear?? I wear knee sleeves every squat session ( SBD ) but they arennt very tight and don't give me anything on the lift. Just keep the knee warm.

Leading up to my meet, i trained with wraps every week.   After my meet, maybe twice.   I've taken a break from them so i can train my raw number more.   It's been steadily climbing,  also wrapping takes a lot of time, such u don't have during lunch break,  so by staying raw i can get more volume, or me singles in.   I'll probably wrap every couple months just so i can stay used to the heavier weight on my shoulders.   
Just to clarify,  I always train in sleeves, mine are not tight though, so they don't offer assistance.

This is me too. Ill wrap once or twice every few weeks. About 8 weeks out from Aprils meet Ill wrap once a week. I prefer to train in just sleeves for most of the year. If the raw number goes up it only makes sense the geared number will go up. However, feeling heavier weights on your back, IMO, has advantages too so I do heavy squat walkouts to get that in too without having to wrap up.
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »
For me since I train in the morning before work I tend to not do wrapped squats very often, because as John said it's time consuming.

If I trained at a time when I didn't have constraints I would probably do at least one wrapped single every session...
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 11:30:48 AM »
I usually only go wrapped on my heavy sets.  Which basically works out to every third week.  It is time consuming, and that limits what I can get done in a session. 
I will often use knee sleeves to give some added support, on regular squat days.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Online tooth

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 12:31:08 PM »

What kind of sleeves do you wear?? I wear knee sleeves every squat session ( SBD ) but they arennt very tight and don't give me anything on the lift. Just keep the knee warm.

I have SBD's, and Slingshot.  The slingshot have very little support, but keep the knee warm.  The SBD are a biach to get on and off.  I don't think they add anything significant to the squat, but the do feel a bit supportive to me. 

Online John

• Site Champion
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »

I have SBD's, and Slingshot.  The slingshot have very little support, but keep the knee warm.  The SBD are a biach to get on and off.  I don't think they add anything significant to the squat, but the do feel a bit supportive to me.

Theres an easy way to get the SBDs on- go to about 30 seconds. This is the exact way Anderson PLifting recommends too.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:59:55 PM by John »

☻/
/ \

Online tooth

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 07:28:53 AM »
That's exactly how I put on my sbd's, but I have wicked hairy legs.  I rip out a ton of hair in the process of getting them on. 

Online John

• Site Champion
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »
That's exactly how I put on my sbd's, but I have wicked hairy legs.  I rip out a ton of hair in the process of getting them on.

Ha well can't help you there. I have hairy legs too but Im guessing your sleeves are way tighter than mine are.

☻/
/ \

Online Get-n-fit

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 10:43:27 AM »
That's kind of how I do it, except I fold the top and bottom over before I put it on and then slide it up.  Getting it off is a bitch though, they are usually drenched in sweat and my calves start swelling making it a pain to get off.
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »
Thanks guys, really appreciate it!  Doing a couple of heavy wrapped sets every second or third week sounds quite reasonable to me.  I definitely want to make sure I log adequate training time in them, they are just so different from my unwrapped squats.  But yeah, even for just time and sanity reasons, I don't think I'd want to hit them much more than that off season.

And interesting to see lots of recommendations for sleeves!  I will look into them, I know I've heard a lot of good things about both SBD and Rehband.  So here's another question.  Apparently I have a slightly wonky patella on the right (which matches my slightly wonky hip on the right, yay me).  I know sleeves wouldn't support it like a good wrap job would (but on the other hand, wrapping too frequently seems like it isn't a good idea for knee health either).  And I get that sleeves are really more for keeping the joint warm, which is always a good thing.  But let's say I want to strengthen the ligaments around that knee as much as possible when I'm not actually wrapping.  Would sleeves have an effect on that, good or bad?  Because if squatting bare knees might be best for strengthening my knee overall, then frankly I'd just stick to bare knees the rest of the time.

Online John

• Site Champion
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 01:17:49 PM »
IDK if sleeves will help with that or not. I don't see how it could hurt. What I do know is that I won't squat without them. I've had 4 knee surgeries and they allow me to push on pain free.

Also, I own both SBD and Rehband knee sleeves. IMO SBD are far superior. They are thicker and longer and leg specific. I now use my Rehbands as elbow sleeves :D

Also, as an FWI. Rhetta is sponsored by Anderson Powerlifting  and sells the SBD's at Herc if you decide to get them. You could always see them first rather than ordering online.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:27:01 PM by John »

☻/
/ \

Online Get-n-fit

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »
IDK if sleeves will help with that or not. I don't see how it could hurt. What I do know is that I won't squat without them. I've had 4 knee surgeries and they allow me to push on pain free.

Also, I own both SBD and Rehband knee sleeves. IMO SBD are far superior. They are thicker and longer and leg specific. I know use my Rehbands as elbow sleeves :D

Also, as an FWI. Rhetta is sponsored by Anderson Powerlifting  and sells the SBD's at Herc if you decide to get them. You could always see them first rather than ordering online.

Bolded, SBD's are also cheaper.  If you don't want to get much help from your SBD's then order your appropriate size.  If you want them tighter to help you squat more, then order a size down.  Mine are my normal size, I didn't step them down and I'll squat 560 in them. 
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Trev71

• This space intentionally left blank
    • YouTube
  • Height: 5'10.5"
  • Weight: 230
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 09:55:11 PM »
I wrap probably once every 3-5 weeks at this point. Only when I am working with heavy singles/doubles on my 'heavy days'.

Else, it's all just knee sleeves for warmth.

I am not on a squat program right now either, more or less winging it a bit.