Author Topic: squat critique  (Read 627 times)

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
squat critique
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »
Hopefully this is not a duplicate, I may be getting old and forgot to submit the last one and forgot I was just in preview mode.

Ok guys, I need some critique on my squat.  I'm trying to fine tune and make sure I'm breaking parallel.  I feel like I'm dropping as low as I can, but lo and behold it's barely below parallel.  What cues or critiques can you offer to help me drop a little lower, I don't want any red lights bc of depth. Weight wise, these are semi heavy, both at 515.  A decent working weight. Firs video is a shoulder width squat, second is wider.  The wider FELT higher, but looks deeper, and the shoulder width felt deeper but looks higher.  I'll probably stick with a wider stance, since the weight felt easier, anyways, any tips are appreciated. Thanks
(both vids are slowed down to half speed)

shoulder width:

wide:
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: squat critique
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »
I froze both at your lowest point and they were pretty much identical depth wise from a hip versus knee standpoint.

But the narrow grip you were leaning way over and the wide grip your back was more vertical;  in other words it was a better squat.

IMHO
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Re: squat critique
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 08:05:48 AM »
Thanks Flex!  Good catch, I was so focused on my hips I didn't notice my upper body lean.  You're correct, the wide was much more up right so I'll definitely be sticking with a wide stance.
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat