Author Topic: Deadlift critique  (Read 971 times)

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
Deadlift critique
« on: September 01, 2015, 05:10:36 PM »
Gents and Ladies,
I know it's not the best angle but is my upper back rounded?
It feels like I'm holding it straight.

ă
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 178
Re: Deadlift critique
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:50:31 PM »
the usual things I see wrong are not present. If ID were to critique I'm betting he would want the but lower, back on the heels more and the bar even closer to the legs. I'm not a DL pro but I like where the bar starts and where it ends, I just think there's more hip mechanics involved to get you to the upper levels.
cash me on the platform, how bow dah?

"Everyday you rest I get stronger"
-Krohdaddi
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129376541&p=584228943&viewfull=1#post584228943

Online Greg

• Striving to survive
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 226
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:06:26 PM »
Current technique is going to limit you to low weights and or a back injury. Definitely need to get your ass down lower as your legs aren't doing anything.

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:14:27 PM »
Thanks Gents.

The more I review and compare to some dl I did last year…
yep, butt is not as low as before and for some reason I'm looking down, which keeps my chest from being up/out which then leads to my upper back being rounded.
Where the heck did my old form go?!

Looks like I need to rethink all my cues on this.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 178
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
don't let this go to your head, but it also looks your carrying around a good bit of muscle on that tall frame M8
cash me on the platform, how bow dah?

"Everyday you rest I get stronger"
-Krohdaddi
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129376541&p=584228943&viewfull=1#post584228943

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:42:46 PM »
don't let this go to your head, but it also looks your carrying around a good bit of muscle on that tall frame M8

Naw, just a flattering shirt and good calf genetics…
And at the same height as Flex,…well I'd say Flex is carrying around a good bit of muscle. I wouldn't presume to make the same claim.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »
Bando is fairly close.   The dark back ground makes it a little difficult to really examine, but I can clearly see some issues worth correcting before trying to move forward.

First....dont sweat the "butt down".   It is impossible to engage the butt lower in the dead (effectively) if two conditions are met.   Those are
1: Your arms are straight down with bar against (or very close to your shins)
2: You back is flat

With those two conditions met, your hip engagement is primarily determined by skeletal proportions (read: It will NOT be the same for each person).

Personally my hips engage higher than I would like...but there is not much I can do.   I am not built with an "Ideal" structure for deadlifting.   The "best deadlifters have longer arms and shorter torsos.   They are more upright in the lift and are able to engage hips lower in the lift.    richard hawthorne is a great example.    Relating to me, I am not particularly suited towards any lift which is why my lifts are fairly balanced.  (I dont have one good lift)

OK...so on you there is definitely a problem with your hips rising out of coordination with the rest of the lift (too early).   This is (my opinion) as starting and weight transfer problem.   Watch the vid on youtube full screen and watch you lower legs/feet.   You can clearly see a back and fourth transfer (rocking) going on.   THIS is throwing you off.   That is what is causing your hips to shoot up.

Watch....first you are on your balls of your feet and then as the lift goes on you can see you rock back and then over correct some.   (I like to just watch the first rep of set...your mistakes will be the worst on the first rep as I have seen).

To fix this, you need to start different off the ground.   You need to take the slack out of the bar and feel comfortable pulling back NOT up.   The hips will then rise in coordination with the rest of the lift. 2" deficits can really help you get the feel here.   

Did not mean to be too wordy, but all in all solid and if you fix what I am talking about, I guarantee you a 25-30lb jump almost immediately in your deads.

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
Bando is fairly close.   The dark back ground makes it a little difficult to really examine, but I can clearly see some issues worth correcting before trying to move forward.

First....dont sweat the "butt down".   It is impossible to engage the butt lower in the dead (effectively) if two conditions are met.   Those are
1: Your arms are straight down with bar against (or very close to your shins)
2: You back is flat

With those two conditions met, your hip engagement is primarily determined by skeletal proportions (read: It will NOT be the same for each person).

Personally my hips engage higher than I would like...but there is not much I can do.   I am not built with an "Ideal" structure for deadlifting.   The "best deadlifters have longer arms and shorter torsos.   They are more upright in the lift and are able to engage hips lower in the lift.    richard hawthorne is a great example.    Relating to me, I am not particularly suited towards any lift which is why my lifts are fairly balanced.  (I dont have one good lift)

OK...so on you there is definitely a problem with your hips rising out of coordination with the rest of the lift (too early).   This is (my opinion) as starting and weight transfer problem.   Watch the vid on youtube full screen and watch you lower legs/feet.   You can clearly see a back and fourth transfer (rocking) going on.   THIS is throwing you off.   That is what is causing your hips to shoot up.

Watch....first you are on your balls of your feet and then as the lift goes on you can see you rock back and then over correct some.   (I like to just watch the first rep of set...your mistakes will be the worst on the first rep as I have seen).

To fix this, you need to start different off the ground.   You need to take the slack out of the bar and feel comfortable pulling back NOT up.   The hips will then rise in coordination with the rest of the lift. 2" deficits can really help you get the feel here.   

Did not mean to be too wordy, but all in all solid and if you fix what I am talking about, I guarantee you a 25-30lb jump almost immediately in your deads.

Thanks ID!
Should I set up any different based on long torso, long arms?
Came across a reference to "best type of deadlift for body proportion". Had me in the "either" category of sumo or conventional.
Hadn't thought of it as pulling back.......
For such a simple movement that we have done our entire life (picking things up off the floor) it sure can get complicated, or so it seems.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr