Author Topic: Hate squats...  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 156
Hate squats...
« on: August 03, 2015, 01:46:16 AM »
I'll stop you there as 100s of you are ready to call me a nutjob; I don't actually hate squats but for some strange reason lately my quads ALWAYS cramp when I squat. No matter how much water I drink the night beforehand; AND they aren't normal cramps that hurt like hell and go away after; it hurts like fuck and then the pain stays as if I was Charlie horsed and sometimes is so bad I can't walk the next day... I don't know what's wrong with me ? Maybe I need to stretch more? I usually do a 30 second leg stretch warmup before... On RARE occasions this won't happen but it usually fucks me up and I feel more pain from injury then actual soreness and gains..

Because of this I would skip leg day; I hated it... And I was leaning out so I wasn't really tripping to much. Now I have put on some decent mass on my chest and upper body the past 2-3 months and I started to worry, so I went to my old nemesis I hated worse than squaring... Deadlifting. And by gods name for some weird reason I LOVE deadlifting now. Even when my back is sore the next day and my ass and hamstrings are burning I just feel like it's a badass excersize. So I'm happy to announce I'm veering from chicken leg disease .

However the main point of my post is :when I deadlift , even heavy, my legs/quads don't "cramp" or have "muscle contractions" but when I squat heavy they do.

What is wrong with me ? What can I try to fix? My form is pretty good on squat and deadlift ; I have actually gotten into form lately because I found that it really makes a significant difference in my gainnnnZ so I don't think it's poor form. Can anyone shoot some ideas?
I intend to tell fate its my turn to take the reigns.

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
Re: Hate squats...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:01:55 AM »
What's the weight, routine (sets, reps), frequency? Got a video?

Could be something simple but need a bit more information.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:21:04 AM »
Perhaps a Potassium imbalance?

You also have to remember, that in a Squat, there is a heavier load on the quads than during the Deadlift.  You're also putting the quads in a longer stretch position than during a Deadlift.  It may be that the extension is giving you micro tears in the muscle fiber.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
Thanks for the reies. I'll look into both; leg day is Wednesday I'll post video that night. Do you suggest I eat a banana before? Haha

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »
I wondered about Potassium as well.  Perhaps you're not getting enough?  But be careful - too much is dangerous.
Last meet lifts:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:44:13 AM »
I wondered about Potassium as well.  Perhaps you're not getting enough?  But be careful - too much is dangerous.

too much potassium can be bad?

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 06:51:15 AM »
It can be - if you have kidney disease, heart disease or diabetes. 

Recommended we get 4,700 mg per day, and most of us don't come near that.  Bananas, whole grain breads,  apricots, oranges, potatoes, tomatoes, are good sources.
Last meet lifts:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Weight: a fat 190-sumfin
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »
It's my unprofessional opinion that the lifts you hate the most are the ones you should be doing more of.

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »
It's my unprofessional opinion that the lifts you hate the most are the ones you should be doing more of.

Whew! That's good cause the only ones I hate are lunges...any form of them.

Huntforfun did you try upping your potassium?
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »

Whew! That's good cause the only ones I hate are lunges...any form of them.

Huntforfun did you try upping your potassium?

I did indeed start eating two bananas every day, oppose to none ever haha; unfortunately I just had a back injury, refer here: http://www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums/index.php?topic=2747.0

and i am a bit skeptical to try squatting or dead lifting at the moment, will try to to it and report back as soon as I can; I promise I will because this is something I want to fix and I want to get under that rack again.

Offline LithiuM23

• Corrections Officer
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 319
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »

too much potassium can be bad?
It's actually the main ingredient in the lethal injection. Fun fact...
Best lifts:
Bench- 380, Squat- 365, Deadlift 505
Honourable mention- Incline bar 350

Offline drudixon

• Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 197
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 07:55:52 PM »
To me it means you're weak where you cramp.  Glute ham raises always make me cramp.  Cramp,  starts,  get off.  Stretch,  do some more.  Lately,  no cramps.