Author Topic: back...biceps...Pullups!!  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 156
back...biceps...Pullups!!
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:58:14 PM »
Ok guys so I need some workout to help with  back, biceps, and my goals of doing alot of pullups!

I hit back and bicep on the same day so the excersizes Im currently doing are:

Note: 4 sets of 10 are each excersize cycle

Biceps:
dumbell Curls
Preacher Curls
The excersize where you half doggystyle on a bench and pull the dumbell up from the ground in one arm (4 sets of 10 on each arm)

This is all I do for biceps, I need more excersizes on them I think.. I really want bigger biceps, In 4 months Ive only increased my max on dumbell curls by about 10lbs and thats with 3 lbs gained.

Back:
Lat pull downs
seated row
mid row

Both:
Pullups (I can only do about 6-7 without burning out, my goal is to start hitting about 15 per set by the end of august, is that doable?)

I also heard from someone that you cant get bigger arms while maintaining lean BF%,a nd that you need to bulk in order to get gains and cut after; otherwise your jsut maintaing muscle.

Is this bullshit? I understand that bulking can make the gains come significantly faster or in some cases easier, but shouldnt I be able to get bigger arms and increase my bicep/back strength by long...consistent work at a somewhat lean physique and low BF% carb cycle? (low enough for my abs to show really is all I care about)
I intend to tell fate its my turn to take the reigns.

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
Re: back...biceps...Pullups!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »
Personal experience,  the body is very good at keeping things proportional. 

So I'd drop the curls, focus on DB rows,  BB rows, lat pulldowns and deadlifts at the heaviest you can for at least a triple.  If you're doing 4x10 chances are you aren't going heavy enough.

Focus on building the whole and you'll see the small link in the chain grow as well. 

CGBP and dips are also great for making arms grow.

As far as pullups are concerned,  bodyweight is the most important factor,  followed by practice.  But like pushups,  it is a very one dimensional movement.  Looks cool and all,  but eventually you'll have to get creative with it to continue growing.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:14:29 AM by Little Tim »

Offline Trev71

• This space intentionally left blank
    • YouTube
  • Height: 5'10.5"
  • Weight: 230
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:30:02 AM »
Ok guys so I need some workout to help with  back, biceps, and my goals of doing alot of pullups!

This is all I do for biceps, I need more excersizes on them I think.. I really want bigger biceps, In 4 months Ive only increased my max on dumbell curls by about 10lbs and thats with 3 lbs gained.

Both:
Pullups (I can only do about 6-7 without burning out, my goal is to start hitting about 15 per set by the end of august, is that doable?)

I also heard from someone that you cant get bigger arms while maintaining lean BF%,a nd that you need to bulk in order to get gains and cut after; otherwise your jsut maintaing muscle.

Is this bullshit? I understand that bulking can make the gains come significantly faster or in some cases easier, but shouldnt I be able to get bigger arms and increase my bicep/back strength by long...consistent work at a somewhat lean physique and low BF% carb cycle? (low enough for my abs to show really is all I care about)

Your Goal is more pullups:
If you want to do more pullups, focus on doing more pullups. Seriously. Instead of doing a couple of sets, do a bunch of sets and include assisted pullups.. include sets that are down to the singles..  I did the same thing years ago and was doing no less than 10 working sets of pullups on back day... every set was as many as I could do.

You could always do some at home as well.

Goal of 15 per set (assuming 4 sets), totally doable by the end of August. Your count will increase rapidly.

If you want to grow muscle(bigger arms) you need to be in a caloric surplus. Maint calories +500 or so, depending on your body, goals and speed/leanness of what you are trying to accomplish.

I would also suggest adding some big moves to back day IE: Deadlift.

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »
^^^^ ditto
If you want to do more pull ups then do pull ups more often.  Once you can't do any pull ups, use a box and get to the top position and focus on the negatives.

Do you want bigger biceps or bigger arms?  If you want bigger arms, focus on your triceps, they are much bigger muscles and will put more girth on your arms. 
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Nuh

• Just Doin' Me
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 127
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »
I am no good at giving advice but this is just things I do...

As far as the pullups... that is the first thing I do on back day. I will do as many sets as I can with as many reps as I can. Our pull up bar has no grip on it and I have never been able to hold on to it and I refuse to use straps. The neutral grip handles have grips so I have always done those. Just a couple of weeks ago I realized I could do them on the smith machine. LOL! I throw it on the top setting and I was unable to do 1. So like GnF said I jumped up to the top of the bar and and slowly lowered myself down. Did that a few times that first day. Now I am able to do a few reps of WG pullups now.

Biceps... I do alot of accessory work... well cuz I am a girl. LOL!

We have a cable set up on preacher curl. I pull the weight up and will angle my elbows together where they are touching and do my curls. My arms in the upright position look like this... \ /

I never let tension off of my arms. I also finish off my bicep work with several sets of drop sets on the cables doing single arm curls.
Dana

HBE=Hen Baby Embryos

"Gonna be stupid...gotta be tuff" - Knothead

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »
Personal experience,  the body is very good at keeping things proportional. 

So I'd drop the curls, focus on DB rows,  BB rows, lat pulldowns and deadlifts at the heaviest you can for at least a triple.  If you're doing 4x10 chances are you aren't going heavy enough.

Focus on building the whole and you'll see the small link in the chain grow as well. 

CGBP and dips are also great for making arms grow.

As far as pullups are concerned,  bodyweight is the most important factor,  followed by practice.  But like pushups,  it is a very one dimensional movement.  Looks cool and all,  but eventually you'll have to get creative with it to continue growing.

Good luck!

Can you type those exersise names out and maybe link to an example? I really want those big biceps haha

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »

So I'd drop the curls, focus on Dumbbell rows,  barbell rows, lat pulldowns and deadlifts

Close grip bench press and dips are also great for making arms grow.

Good luck!

Wrote the full names out for you
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 06:12:55 PM »
Thanks Cali. Also should I add tricep dips on my chest day? I don't really work tricep itself I just do bench press etc. also I haven't been benching lately I've been using Dumbbells for a slight incline bench ; still works the triceps good ?

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »
A lot of people swear by dips and I like them too, so you can give em a shot
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 10:00:43 PM »

So I'd drop the curls, focus on Dumbbell rows,  barbell rows, lat pulldowns and deadlifts

Close grip bench press and dips are also great for making arms grow.

Good luck!

Wrote the full names out for you

Thanks for that Cali.  Long day at work, haven't had much time for the interwebs while earning a living. 

On a typical bro split,  dips would be on your Benchpress day (pecs, tris, shoulders).

Like nuh, I also put pullups at the top of the list on back day. But that's more because given my bodyweight, it is a strength movement. That's the nice way of saying that I'm a little bit fluffy to be banging out sets of ten.

More like 5.

Might be e-statting.

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 10:58:15 PM »
You do realize that if you want to grow you have to be in a surplus right?
Biceps and back may get more defined but they ain't gonna get any bigger without some extra cals.
If you are in it for the long haul and still want to stay somewhat lean just shoot for 100-250 cals over maintanence. Every few weeks evaluate what the mirror tells you.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline ljxdaly

• Height: 5"10"
  • Weight: 140
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 05:22:38 PM »
bigger arms will only come with more body mass, and there is little you can do about.  that said, pullups are a solid mass builder.

imo, pullups should never be done to failure.  do more sets with less reps than max.  if you can do 10, do sets of 7 or 8. 

and not that the op asked, but i think someone of our size would do well to forget about iso arm work altogether.  loading up on compound exercises will get the overall job done much more efficiently, and much more effectively.  squats, deads, presses, rows, pullups, dips....all you need.

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
bigger arms will only come with more body mass, and there is little you can do about.  that said, pullups are a solid mass builder.

imo, pullups should never be done to failure.  do more sets with less reps than max.  if you can do 10, do sets of 7 or 8. 

and not that the op asked, but i think someone of our size would do well to forget about iso arm work altogether.  loading up on compound exercises will get the overall job done much more efficiently, and much more effectively.  squats, deads, presses, rows, pullups, dips....all you need.

I have definitley foudn both statements to be true, as I have been on a bulk for a couple months now, and I get alot more out of non-isolate excersizes. Its been proven that they arent as big of mass builders as other exercises too