Author Topic: Deadlifts ?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Trev71

• This space intentionally left blank
    • YouTube
  • Height: 5'10.5"
  • Weight: 230
Deadlifts ?
« on: June 11, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »
My worst lift for a variety of reasons, when I started lifting at 40:
  • I had lower back issues dating back years - this still holds me back as I have this fear of injury (the fear is fading)
  • I had no legs at all, no squat, no dead, no quads, no hammies, no ass even
  • Started from the ground up, literally at 95lbs with long term goals of body weight and 225lbs... hah.

All that said, I had always gone the EGO route of touch n go reps. A couple of times I tried to stop and do real 'pause' reps, and in the end my ego kept me going back to touch and go. Also, my training partners, the guys who know 'everything' are rep guys.

It's all about the reps in many exercises and, the deadlift I am learning, is also about the reps, but more so about the full rep, the full weight off the floor on every pull, and overall less reps but better reps.  Less is More as they say.. and this I believe holds true for me.

So... after a couple of years of slow progress... I am back to doing real deadlift reps for most all my sets.

It's more challenging, and strangely enough I have sort of convinced the guys I train with to start doing them and.. they are adding them in a bit.

So I am doing sets with 'less' reps per say, rarely going past 5, truthfully rarely going past 3 or 4 as I am trying to target 2-3 rep pulls for my heavy set(s) and 5 as a max reps on lesser weighted sets (if I can do more than 5, I don't have enough weight on the bar).

I do feel this is going to help me gain in strength off the floor... and help me progress in strength more so than touch n go. Actually, it is already helping and I am seeing noticeable speed increase off the floor with my normal higher end set(s).

Also wraps. I don't use them any more for any of my sets anymore. I found that I have developed a pretty good pattern of walking up to the bar, couple of breaths standing over the bar, take a final deep breath in and stabilize my core, bend+grip+pull. Mix Grip for my heavy sets, double overhand for whatever I can double overhand (315 ish and under currently). That pattern is now in, so I don't think about it, I just do it.. it's on automatic.

For the numbers guys, I am pulling lower 400s right now for my heavy sets (2-3 rep sets), haven't actually attempted 455 yet as I am thinking I may save that pull(or hopefully greater) for the Southern Mass Blast in August.

Anyhow.. figured I would throw this out for discussion... thoughts.. maybe discuss what you found works for you etc.. etc...

Also, curious if people find doing single rep sets helpful with deadlifting as well. I was considering working some single sets in....

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
Re: Deadlifts ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
I do 1x5 as heavy as I can, occasionally 5x5. I reset every rep, double overhand, no straps. Some people I know swear by touch and go, others insist on resetting every time. It's working for me, as I can usually add weight every workout. When I can't, it's usually because my diet is lacking. I'm one of the only people out of my group of friends who does lower rep deadlifts (at a higher weight.) A lot of them do deadlifts at high reps with lower weights. I personally don't like higher reps, as deadlifts exhaust me and I do them first.

Some days (when I'm feeling strong), I fucking love deadlifts and I'll pull anything off the ground. Other days I just want to beat my head into the barbell and cry in the corner.
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: a fat 190-sumfin
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 03:58:25 PM »
In for suggestions.  I've tried a few things and nothing has seemed to help my pathetic pulls.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »
Eat moar!
Try adding on smaller plates instead of larger plates, maybe? Might give you a mental edge
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »
Eat moar!
Try adding on smaller plates instead of larger plates, maybe? Might give you a mental edge
I gained 30lbs in weight in 8 months.  I added 20lbs to my deadlift during that time while adding 50lbs to squat and 35 to bench.  Small plate, big plates, SS 1x5, 5x5, 5/3/1, SSPT/Matt Gary singles program, bands, reverse bands, high and low frequency.  My deadlift still blows.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 06:49:10 PM »
Do you only do traditional deadlifts? Maybe Sumo or SLDLs will help?

Just crapshooting.

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Do you only do traditional deadlifts? Maybe Sumo or SLDLs will help?

Just crapshooting.
conventional deadlift.  My sumo doesn't come close, but I did train both hoping the sumo would carry over.  I do SLDLs as an accessory as well as GHRs and RDLs.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »
How's your core?

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »
How's your core?
440 squat.  Core is fine. ;)

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 08:28:34 PM »
Hell yes lots of singles and rarely pull more than 3 reps.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Offline Trev71

• This space intentionally left blank
    • YouTube
  • Height: 5'10.5"
  • Weight: 230
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »
Hell yes lots of singles and rarely pull more than 3 reps.

Yea I am kind of feeling that approach is going to work a bit better for me as well. I only changed up recently as I am trying to really focus more on improving off the floor speed as well as obviously lifting more.

When I do touch and go reps, the first heavy rep is a freaking grinder almost, then I pump out 5 reps or so.

In for suggestions.  I've tried a few things and nothing has seemed to help my pathetic pulls.

Pull first and pull more sets. Keep an eye on form too.. I have been making mental adjustments on my form for ages... things eventually fall into place as habit.

I don't do much back accessory work.. outside of heavy barbell or dumbbell rows after deads.. then I do a couple of other back excersizes at different angles.. pull downs etc.. etc.. ligher weight, slower reps, focus on squeeze.

I am also trying to really focus on the pull off the floor being as violent as I can make it. Even warm up sets I try to rip that fucker off the floor and reset every time.

Also -- resetting generally isn't a full reset, it's just a slight pause at the bottom. I see some people basically reposition themselves... I don't do that, or have to.. not yet at least.. maybe at some point down the road.

Like everything, constant learning and working.. trying new things.

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 09:28:18 PM »
Other than a couple of light touch and go sets for warm ups, everything else I do is with a full reset between reps.  I'm a divebomb deadlifter though, I figure I need all the practice I can get with the full start.  For reps, I definitely work heavy singles on a regular basis.  I'm not a big fan of trying to get many consecutive reps in a "heavy" range.  As my form can loosen up a bit more with each rep, it's not worth the increased risk of injury.

I've found it beneficial to work on heavy singles on all my major lifts, getting into a range where I may struggle a little teaches me how to deal with a struggle better (stay tight, don't panic, don't give up, get the bar against my legs, etc.)  If I were only working up to weights that I could get say 5 reps with, I just wouldn't get that same experience.  I get volume in because volume builds strength, but I think heavy singles have their place for teaching me how to deal with heavy singles.  :)  YMMV.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 02:46:25 AM »
How's your core?
440 squat.  Core is fine. ;)

Do more sit-ups. Time to tone up some muscle ;p