Author Topic: Some calisthenic questions  (Read 454 times)

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
Some calisthenic questions
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:33:32 PM »
1. Will adding daily bodyweight push-ups help to isolate/build my pecs? I haven't gotten to bodyweight bench yet, so yes? If so, how many?

2. Dips, will they add mass to pecs? Will they help a stalling bench?

3. What days should I be adding pull ups, dips, sit-ups, and push-ups to? OHP/DL/Squat day, Bench/Row/Squat day, or every day o-o

Thank you guys :)
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline Philosopherking

• Still working.
  • Height: 5'10
  • Weight: 257
Re: Some calisthenic questions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »
From my experience dips are shoulder killers, but I have read that they were good at adding mass to the pecs.   As far as a stalling bench, I struggled with getting a stronger bench most of my life.  Always lagged a bit in the area.  What helped me the most was lifting heavy (in the 2-3 rep range) and mixing dumbbell work into my routines. 

Offline tobymax

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 169
Re: Some calisthenic questions
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:34:24 PM »
Cali, I was just reading your thread about lagging lifts and thinking that you need to do more chest work besides just bench press. I'm just going from personal experience, not any known weight training science, so someone else may slap down my thoughts, but here goes...

I'm a big believer in dips and mass quantities of push ups.  I believe more chest work of all kinds will help you improve your bench press as well as your chest size and aesthetics.  I don't do dips in large volume or with added weight anymore because of the shoulder risk, but at your age that may not be of much concern; just be cautious.   I often walk my dog through a former school playground where I stop at a concrete pad and do 100 push ups (in 3 or 4 sets, not all at once).  When I worked out in a small fitness center with no barbells, I did 200+ push ups almost every workout.  Some with feet elevated on a bench, some with hands on the bench, some regular push ups, some with wide hands, some narrow.  You could also add some dumbbell work such as incline and decline db bench presses, as well as some flys with dumbbells, at a cable station, or on a pec dec machine.   Whatever it is, I think you just need to add more chest work.

As for other bodyweight exercises...  Pull ups!  I know it's been mentioned in other threads.  Just do one to start, or if you can't do that start in the upper position and slowly lower yourself.  And keep trying.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 03:42:37 PM by tobymax »
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh
Leg Press 670x2 - 12/10/15