Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 43168 times)

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
  • FEELING "LESS" FATCKED!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
Like the new ink, especially the meaning behind it. All my ink has meaning to me.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline tobymax

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 169
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 11:15:22 AM »
I'm in for new journal.

160lb OHP - great.
Strong Squats - me jealous.
Pull Ups - Doing 11 with elbow pain is good...and bad.  Elbow pain blows. 

I used to love pull ups, weighted or BW, but now I can barely do 5 or 6 BW because of elbow pain.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:16:53 AM by tobymax »
PRs:
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh
Leg Press 670x2 - 12/10/15

Offline Merkley

• Coffee is my personal Jesus
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Depends on the shit I took this morning
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
Like the new ink, especially the meaning behind it. All my ink has meaning to me.

Thanks bro! Ditto on the ink having meaning. All mine have heavy meaning, but these mean the most. (I text my Dad a this picture and he loves them)
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
I'm in for new journal.

160lb OHP - great.

I used to love pull ups, weighted or BW, but now I can barely do 5 or 6 BW because of elbow pain.

Welcome! :)

Thanks for the props on the lifts, currently I'm just fighting to get back to where I was....though I am starting to see some PR's on small things which is nice!

So my old numbers are as follows

Bench-315 x 1
 Squat- 375 x 1
 Dead- 400 x 1
 OHP- 175 (for reps and sets)
 Seated Military Press- 225 x 1

Now....I haven't tried for max on anything for a long time, still a little gun shy to push to the extreme since I haven't been back at it for long (4 months) but I think it's time to start pushing the mold a little harder. See what my limitations are now and start breaking them  :sneaky:

As far as the elbow, dude it's unreal somedays! However, icing/heat, advil, Epsom salts, and magnesium seem to help. I've considered an elbow brace to see if it'll help out.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:55:06 PM by Merkley »
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline deerslayer

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 228
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 07:17:37 AM »
Good numbers in here, like the ink as well! Got some done myself wed. night with my daughter!
You may be a beast, But I'm a fucking animal!

You must show no mercy.....nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you..... for your greatness will silence them all-
"The Ultimate Warrior"

Proving people wrong is something I do on a daily basis-
"Mark Bell"

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 07:36:44 AM »

Thanks bro! Ditto on the ink having meaning. All mine have heavy meaning, but these mean the most. (I text my Dad a this picture and he loves them)

Glad he liked it. My dad never saw any of mine.

I'm in for new journal.

160lb OHP - great.

Thanks for the props on the lifts, currently I'm just fighting to get back to where I was....though I am starting to see some PR's on small things which is nice!

Bench-315 x 1
 Squat- 375 x 1
 Dead- 400 x 1

Now....I haven't tried for max on anything for a long time, still a little gun shy to push to the extreme since I haven't been back at it for long (4 months) but I think it's time to start pushing the mold a little harder. See what my limitations are now and start breaking them  :sneaky:

As far as the elbow, dude it's unreal somedays! However, icing/heat, advil, Epsom salts, and magnesium seem to help. I've considered an elbow brace to see if it'll help out.

Impressive numbers. Will keep an eye on your journal.

Good numbers in here, like the ink as well! Got some done myself wed. night with my daughter!

All my kids and I have ink, all from the same shop.

My daughter has a real big piece on her side. When she was getting it outlined she was holding my hand. I thought she was gonna break my fingers. After that she said she will never get it filled in and she hasn't, but it's still beautiful.

I should be going back in a couple months for more.
Eric

DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline Merkley

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »

Aaaaaaand where are the pictures?!  :S
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 08:06:26 AM »

Glad he liked it. My dad never saw any of mine.

I'm in for new journal.

160lb OHP - great.

Bench-315 x 1
 Squat- 375 x 1
 Dead- 400 x 1

Impressive numbers. Will keep an eye on your journal.

All my kids and I have ink, all from the same shop.

My daughter has a real big piece on her side. When she was getting it outlined she was holding my hand. I thought she was gonna break my fingers. After that she said she will never get it filled in and she hasn't, but it's still beautiful.

I should be going back in a couple months for more.

My Dad took it as the ultimate compliment, we talked on the phone for close to an hour about that, training, family, etc. It was amazing! Haven't had that type of talk with him in a long time.

Thank you on the numbers, I'm working hard on getting those numbers where I feel I need them to be. Until then.....I'm impatiently running the journeys course.

Ahhhhhh side tattoos, yeah I hear horror stories. Though I have heard horror stories about hands, knucks, ditch, elbow, arm pit, etc. and I had no real issues with them.....the wrists however  :o

It's all dependant on an individuals threshold for pain, really makes the experience so unique from person to person.
 – Socrates

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 08:15:20 AM »

My Dad took it as the ultimate compliment, we talked on the phone for close to an hour about that, training, family, etc. It was amazing! Haven't had that type of talk with him in a long time.

Thank you on the numbers, I'm working hard on getting those numbers where I feel I need them to be. Until then.....I'm impatiently running the journeys course.

Ahhhhhh side tattoos, yeah I hear horror stories. Though I have heard horror stories about hands, knucks, ditch, elbow, arm pit, etc. and I had no real issues with them.....the wrists however  :o

It's all dependant on an individuals threshold for pain, really makes the experience so unique from person to person.

That's cool. Glad you guys got the time to talk.

I am kind of the same way, parts that were supposed to hurt did and parts that weren't supposed to did.  :o

Eric

DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline deerslayer

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 228
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 08:24:20 AM »
I don't have much, have one on the outside of my arm just below the shoulder that didn't hurt, the one I just got on the inside of my bicep was tender, especially the closer he got to the arm pit, was tolerable but def. tender lol
You may be a beast, But I'm a fucking animal!

You must show no mercy.....nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you..... for your greatness will silence them all-
"The Ultimate Warrior"

Proving people wrong is something I do on a daily basis-
"Mark Bell"

Offline Merkley

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 09:22:28 AM »
02/13/15

-Close grip chin ups-

BW x 1 x 4 -Elbow just couldn't take it, tendon was rather inflamed But I kept trying!!!!

-Push ups-

BW x 30
BW x 9 - right wrist and elbow just took a shit on set 2

-Squats-

Bar x 10
135 x 10 x 2
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3
335 x 1

-Dumbbell Shrug-

N/A

It's Friday the 13th for sure!

Ok, this was not my best workout in the world....infact this has been the worst one I have had since I started again in October!!!!  :banghead:

I woke up at 4:30 am, hit snooze......and suddenly jolted outta bed and seeing it was 6am! (this is the time I'm usually AT the gym). So I flailed around the house getting my S, S, and S done (minus one S...which is Shave). I managed to get to the gym for 20 after 6. I bypassed my regular 5 min warm up on the bike (bad idea by the way) and ran right to the squat rack to start my workout....

We all see how that went.

The highlight reel to all this was Flex and Lisa were there and Flex was nice enough to give me a hand spotting me on my squats. Trust me had he not been there (and making a small jab about the weight I was using at that point) I would have stuck to 225 today.

Nothing felt right today, even squats were off. My lower back got a MASSIVE pump which just killed my form on squats, breathing was off, my hip flexors were just not co-operating and even my traps were being a bitch about the weight.

The Dumbbell shrugs.....well, I simply ran outta time and saiiiiiiid "FUCK IT!". Hell I was late for work as it was.

At least I went and did what I could, better than staying at home skipping the gym (though I'm beginning to find that debatable, lol)

Hopefully tomorrow's workout will be far better.

Come to think about it, I think a lot of this could have been avoided had I simply got to bed on time, rather than going to be at 11! drinking more water yesterday, doing my foam rolling/stretches/myofacia, AND taking a damn bath last night because I could feel everything was a little off.

:o

Ok so now that I have bitched and complained a little, lets look more into the positives.

~ Squatted 335, I know I have more power than that (just an off day) so I will push for more reps on it. Next small goal is 350
~ I went and didn't bitch out
~ Grabbed the measuring tape last night and since October I went from a 15' arm to 17', forearms were 12' to now over 13', calves 13' to 15'(shut it, I have small calves...working on it), thigh from a 23' to 26'.....and the rest I really don't remember exactly. But my weight hasn't moved much since October, so this is a plus!
~ It's Friday and  I get to look forward to a three day weekend!!!!  :woot:

– Socrates

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
Wasn't even a small jab.

"Hey you gonna put some fucking weight on there or what?  Lisa squats that much!"

LMAO

Glad I could shame you into going heavier.   ;D
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Offline Merkley

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
Wasn't even a small jab.

"Hey you gonna put some fucking weight on there or what?  Lisa squats that much!"

LMAO

LOL, I've had much worse, trust me. :) But it was effective as all hell!  :satan:
 – Socrates

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 10:54:50 AM »
Looks like a good squat session to me.

Wasn't even a small jab.

LMAO

Ok, I'll just go now.

Eric

DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »
There's no tootin' way I'll ever squat 335, so well done there!

Here's to the three day weekend - yay!  The owner of the gym says they are open from 8 to 2 on Monday and he said it'll be crazy busy.  He told Flex to come at 8 sharp if he intends to workout because otherwise it'll be like walking into a bar/club.

I may just stay in my jammies Monday.
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”