Author Topic: Andrew's Big 3 Journal  (Read 16121 times)

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: a fat 190-sumfin
Re: Andrew's Big 3 Journal
« Reply #810 on: September 20, 2017, 08:32:04 PM »
Glad to see someone working the RPE programming on here.  I ran it for a while and had a lot of success with it.  Not Mike's program, but all RPE, and very specific to the big three.  I had RPE down, took a LOA from the iron and was trying to get back to where I left off by pushing too hard not being honest about the sets.  Ran myself into the ground that way but was doing fine before then.

Once you get RPE feel down, you'll get more out of it.   Don't chase rep PRs by not being honest saying a set was @8 when it was really @9.5.  Don't be a pussy either though. 

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #811 on: Today at 01:05:23 AM »
Glad to see someone working the RPE programming on here.  I ran it for a while and had a lot of success with it.  Not Mike's program, but all RPE, and very specific to the big three.  I had RPE down, took a LOA from the iron and was trying to get back to where I left off by pushing too hard not being honest about the sets.  Ran myself into the ground that way but was doing fine before then.

Once you get RPE feel down, you'll get more out of it.   Don't chase rep PRs by not being honest saying a set was @8 when it was really @9.5.  Don't be a pussy either though.

thanks for the advice and i could see how this could happen (coming back too hard and not being honest with ones self). I think i'm pretty dialed in on bench and deads for RPE, squats are harder for me to gauge. I am having fun with it so far and liking this style of training.

Awesome work Andrew. You killed those deficit deads.

Killer deficits and CGBP Andy, PRs are coming in fast!

this

Looking great for a long lay off man.  Your deads will be fun to watch come April at this rate! Program does look solid. 
Killer deficits and CGBP Andy, PRs are coming in fast!

Thanks guys. Deadlift PR's incoming soon. 550 in NY seems reasonable. 600 is a goal of mine also
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \
Gains weight on diet

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #812 on: Today at 01:50:14 AM »
W2D1 RTS

Squat
(work up to 5 reps @9, load drop at 5% fatigue)
barx5
135x5
185x5
225x5
255x5
275x5@8
295x5@9
280x5@9

Comp Bench
(work up to 5 reps @9, load drop at 5% fatigue)
barx5
95x5
135x5
135x5
175x5
185x5@9
175x5@8
175x5@9

2ct Pause Bench
(work up to 4 reps @9, load drop at 5% fatigue)
135x4
155x4
165x4@9
155x4@8
155x4@9

Late workout, finished at 10:00pm. Squats feeling good. Bench felt off tonight. Need to get better bar control at chest level

A note on the load drops, the program has you drop 5% off your top set and then repeat sets at the reduced weight until you reach 9RPE. In the description of the program it typically shows people hitting 3 or 4 drop sets before they reach 9RPE. I hit 9RPE on my first drop set for squats and second drop sets for bench, which I think indicates i need more adaptation to volume. I suspect as i continue to run this, i will be able to hit more volume on the drop sets. But right now i get gassed pretty quick on the drop sets

« Last Edit: Today at 01:52:33 AM by Andrew »
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \
Gains weight on diet