Author Topic: Anthony's Powerlifting Journal  (Read 1086 times)

Online Anthony21

• My YouTube
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 180
Re: Anthony's Powerlifting Journal
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2018, 05:46:44 PM »
Good looking past couple of workouts Anthony.  You're a better man than me with that squat and deadlift workout with sets of 8.  That was the part of Candito that always stopped me in my tracks. :)  Nice job with them.

I hadn't heard of GZCL before.  I looked it up and saw some stuff on liftvault.com that I'll have to check out.

The first couple of weeks on Candito's program is no joke.

GZCL is definitely an interesting program and worth checking out on Cody's website. I'll link it below.

http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-gzcl-method-for-powerlifting.html

I also came across this program a Coach posted on the daily powerlifting Reddit that has me pretty interested and I like the lay out a lot. I'll have to see what's next, whether I run a 5th cycle of Candito's or another new program.

Beauty couple session Anthony. Spoto press is looking strong! Crazy 8ís is in the books too, always a fun day!

Definitely a fun and good training day.

Apr 17, 2018 W5 D3
Body weight 180

Duffalo Bench
195x5
195x5
195x5
195x5
195x5

Pull Up *Body weight
5x6

Dumbbell Row *Chest supported on an incline bench
50x10
50x12
50x12
50x12
50x12

DB seated overhead extension
60x10
45x15
45x15

Cable overhead extension
40x20
40x20
40x20

Dumbbell Bicep Curl
35x10 W/fat grips
35x10 W/fat grips
35x8 W/fat grips
35x6 W/fat grips

Summary: Solid training session this afternoon.

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »
Killer volume Anthony! I see you have entered the 180ís, strength should be on a consistent rise now!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2018, 07:03:13 PM »
Killer volume Anthony! I see you have entered the 180ís, strength should be on a consistent rise now!

That 180 is probably from picking KFC off my wife's plate last night and going over my macros lol.

I'm sure i'll be back to around 177-178 tomorrow morning lol. My calories did get increased though vs last week so we'll see how that plays out.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:46:08 PM by Anthony21 »

Online Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2018, 05:45:38 PM »
Apr 18, 2018 Candito C4 W2 D1
Body weight 178.8

Squat *w/Duffalo Bar
60x10
60x8
150x5
200x2
240x1
Work sets
280x10 Top set
285x3
285x3
285x3
285x3
285x3

Pause deadlift *1" off ground
270x8
270x8
270x8

https://youtu.be/uFPgMw_7GBY

GHR *Bodyweight
4x10

Summary: Decided to try the Duffalo bar out with my squats. I definitely like the feel of the bar on my shoulders and can see it being real beneficial for those with shoulder problems in the squat. The bar felt solid and will definitely be using it more going forward.

This cycle I'm using 1" pause deadlifts for my deadlift variant. I really like how they felt today and teaching me the correct cues in regards to intiating the pull by pressing my feet into the floor and maintaining proper positioning. I started with only 60% based off my training max of 450lbs for my deadlift. I'll progress these gradually through out the 6 weeks.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2018, 09:11:05 AM »
Great looking workout yesterday Anthony.  I really like your programming choices, with the Duffalo bar for squats and the paused deads.  Both of those look like solid choices that I'll have to do some of myself at some point.  The lifts are looking very solid in the vids.

I see in your "Location" that you are about to move to AZ.  When are you doing that?  Do you have a new gym lined up?
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
Great looking workout yesterday Anthony.  I really like your programming choices, with the Duffalo bar for squats and the paused deads.  Both of those look like solid choices that I'll have to do some of myself at some point.  The lifts are looking very solid in the vids.

I see in your "Location" that you are about to move to AZ.  When are you doing that?  Do you have a new gym lined up?

Thanks a lot Greg. I really think the pause deadlifts are going to help out my deadlift. I've always heard the cue of "pushing your feet into the ground" when initiating the pull. It never really stuck with me nor was I doing it.

With pause deadlifts it definitely teaches you that cue and I could feel myself doing along with maintaining what I felt was good positioning through out the lift.

The Duffalo Bar definitely is a cool specialty bar. I like the feel of it on my shoulders and feels good with getting my upper back tight during squats.

We lived in Arizona for about 7 months but moved back to Oregon in December last year. My wife had to deal with some personal issues so we moved back unforunately. We both miss AZ and loved it out there. We decided to move back there next year around this time. We'd like to go back sooner but just saving up right now for the move.

When it comes to a gym unfortunately the area that we're looking to move back to doesn't have any powerlifting gyms near it. I think there is actually one called Die Hard gym but that's about it.

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »
Great looking session Anthony, squats are looking dialed as did the paused deads. Paused deads are my favorite variation by far, was doing double paused a bit earlier in the prep....ya they sucked lol
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2018, 10:25:20 AM »
Great looking session Anthony, squats are looking dialed as did the paused deads. Paused deads are my favorite variation by far, was doing double paused a bit earlier in the prep....ya they sucked lol

I can see double pause deads being brutal. I'll have to give that a try maybe in another cycle.

Last two days I had off from the gym. Had to run errands after work on one day and yesterday I wasn't trying to go to the gym at 10PM then be up at 5AM today.

I'll be hitting some bench and upper body accessory work today followed by squats and more pause deads on Sunday.