Author Topic: Cali's Journal: A Journey towards Excellence  (Read 26623 times)

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
Re: Cali's Journal: A Journey towards Excellence
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 12:49:43 AM »
Looking forward to following your journey here Cali.  You're off to a good start and a good program to get your feet wet. 

A year ago I fucked my back up working on my house and when I was allowed I started on stronglifts with an empty bar.  So I was working through my sets with just the bar and had the pleasure of watching 2 girls in their early 20's go the next rack over and start busting out sets with 135.  A bit humbling but we all have our own stories and starting places.  Screw anybody laughing at you and just focus on you.  Chances are you'll be passing them at some point.

Thank you for the kind words- the more people who've got my back, the better! I'm not letting anyone get me down. I'm just a bit disappointing that I personally can't notice any changes in physique so far.
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 01:36:36 AM »
That'll come with time.  Eat, lift, rest and repeat.  You've got all the time in the world  :)  I fell into that mindset for years which is why I've always stopped and started for so long.  Got frustrated without immediate gains and moved on just to start over again. Vicious cycle.  You're on the right track now with some very knowlegable people helping you (helping me stay on course too  ;) )   I still have mini what the fuck moments.  I don't think that ever goes away. 
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 02:07:56 AM »
That'll come with time.  Eat, lift, rest and repeat.  You've got all the time in the world  :)  I fell into that mindset for years which is why I've always stopped and started for so long.  Got frustrated without immediate gains and moved on just to start over again. Vicious cycle.  You're on the right track now with some very knowlegable people helping you (helping me stay on course too  ;) )   I still have mini what the fuck moments.  I don't think that ever goes away.

Yep I'm not discouraged. I feel actual muscle coming and weight is easier. Just can't really tell if there are any aesthetic changes.

Question: what body fat % do I look like?
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 02:11:56 AM »
I'm a terrible judge with stuff like that but I would say 10 or so.  Other guys around here will be a much better help than me with that I'm sure. You're in a prime position to grow like crazy man, enjoy it.
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 02:27:57 AM »

My legs are sore as hell now lol, but my numbers are getting up there and my father thinks I finally "look like a real man" lol

I'm going on a 3.5 day vacation next week, and they don't have any weights. They've got a basketball court so I can hit cardio and I can do push ups/sit ups/ body weight stuff obviously. What can I do to keep from losing my gains?

Offline peacesells

• Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
You won't lose gains in that time.  Don't do too much cardio and keep eating and you'll probably feel stronger when you get back. 

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »
You won't lose gains in that time.  Don't do too much cardio and keep eating and you'll probably feel stronger when you get back.

Alright cool, I'll use it as a bit of a rest period. Technically I'm not even breaking the plan because I can lift 3x next week, I just don't want to get sore or something since I've got a bigger gap between workouts than usual.

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
  • FEELING "LESS" FATCKED!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:35 PM »
Just take the time to enjoy your vacation. 3.5 days isn't all that long and you won't suffer for it. Come back afterwards and hit it hard.

You're doing great so far. Keep it up.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
Enjoy the vacation.  The iron won't get lonely on you.  Call it a deload.  :D

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 01:28:11 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys, means a lot.

I'm still fascinated that I started with just the bar, then added 10lbs for a whopping total of 55lbs lol
I actually had a hard time with that little weight, but a bit over a month later I've gotten to 150lbs. I'm a living testament that this stuff works lol

I'm still working hard to look good shirtless. It's absolutely insane how much confidence I never had a chance to built up, since I had been overweight my entire life. The SINGLE biggest hindrance to my quality of life is how my physique looks in the mirror. I'm sick and tired of it, so I'm taking action.

I don't WANT washboard abs, solid pecs, the cobra back, Adonis belt, etc.

I NEED THEM!

And I won't rest until I look better than a Greek statue depicting the Gods.

Offline peacesells

• Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »
Just be careful and not let food creep in as the enemy.  You need food and lots of it to grow muscle.  Very easy to be scared to eat after losing a lot of weight.  Don't be scared...just track what you do and make adjustments.    You are at an age where you can get big in a hurry...if you eat enough.    Keep that in mind.

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
  • FEELING "LESS" FATCKED!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys, means a lot.

I'm still fascinated that I started with just the bar, then added 10lbs for a whopping total of 55lbs lol
I actually had a hard time with that little weight, but a bit over a month later I've gotten to 150lbs. I'm a living testament that this stuff works lol

I'm still working hard to look good shirtless. It's absolutely insane how much confidence I never had a chance to built up, since I had been overweight my entire life. The SINGLE biggest hindrance to my quality of life is how my physique looks in the mirror. I'm sick and tired of it, so I'm taking action.

I don't WANT washboard abs, solid pecs, the cobra back, Adonis belt, etc.

I NEED THEM!

And I won't rest until I look better than a Greek statue depicting the Gods.

At this point in my life I don't need to get bigger, stronger or ripped. I WANT to be. But that's not only why I do this. Lifting is a mood booster and can help me with my goal of living a long healthy life. Even on the days when I really don't want to go to the gym, once I'm there I am always glad I went.

Concentrate on the 3 basics - Eat Sleep Rest ( and Repeat ) and everything else will fall into place. Just don't get discouraged if things don't come about as fast as you are hoping they will. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Just be careful and not let food creep in as the enemy.  You need food and lots of it to grow muscle.  Very easy to be scared to eat after losing a lot of weight.  Don't be scared...just track what you do and make adjustments.    You are at an age where you can get big in a hurry...if you eat enough.    Keep that in mind.

QFT - although I have never really been 'overweight', I still have issues with eating as much as I need to when I see the gut expanding and the pants start 'shrinking'. lol

I am working on eating enough to grow and make gains from now until I start a cut ( maybe February ). It's one of the hardest parts to dial in so track what you eat till you get a feeling of what you're doing and eat to grow. Best of luck.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »
By "eating a lot," how much should I really be eating?

Offline doughnutgut

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »
1lb of protonz per lb of bodyweight.
0.5g fats.
Make up the rest of your tdee with any macros you desire.

Aim for a good lb a week and re evaluate in a month or two. Then adjust according to your goals.

Forget clean foods. Just eat.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
1lb of protonz per lb of bodyweight.
0.5g fats.
Make up the rest of your tdee with any macros you desire.

Aim for a good lb a week and re evaluate in a month or two. Then adjust according to your goals.

Forget clean foods. Just eat.

aargh I'm so lost on how to get fats in.
Brb eating a stick of butter