Author Topic: Garage Gym 2.0  (Read 390 times)

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Garage Gym 2.0
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
Only issues I have is the cramped space and lack of heat/AC.

My bars are in good shape with good knurling and not bent.  Every fucking bar in our gym is bent to shit.  We finally got a bunch of new bars a couple years ago after me begging the owners forever.  Within months they were all bent.  Plus they have shitty knurling which sucks for deadlifts.  And bent bars are outright dangerous IMHO.

Plus I hate the janitors always mopping and vacuuming around me when I am trying to lift.

And I can use as much chalk as I want and don't need to hide it.

I'll still keep my gym membership.

If/when my stepson ever moves out then I can think about moving my equipment into the basement.  Right now that is his "man cave".

I have seriously considered setting up a profile for him on a dating site so we can marry him off.

(not srs)

kinda srs  :D
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 176
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
I have been home gym since 2003 now.  I just couldn't imagine waiting in line for a piece of equipment, getting unwanted advice, or dealing with peeps screwing around in the gym annoying me.  I get enough of that at home from my kids, but at least they are trained to leave me the f--k alone when I'm lifting.   ;D

Meh, I'm with Greg and Sakutoms, I get motivation from being around other lifters. My home equipment is kind of cheap and old also.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 10:41:30 AM »
I get motivation from being around other lifters.

I do when I am at my comps and that time we went to Hercules with you/John/Kelly.  If I could find a gym like that I wouldn't need to lift at home

My gym?  Not so much.  I rarely see anyone putting in anything that even resembles effort and most guys fuck around doing limited ROM shit while talking.

I just look at them with utter contempt and shake my head...
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Offline EpicBeardAJ

• Buildin' doll-house furniture and kickin' ass!
  • Height: 5-10
  • Weight: 216
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »
I'm fortunate to have upgraded my equipment over the years to gym quality or better.  Took a while, but obviously your income changes a lot in ~15 years.  More $ to blow on equipment.

The downside is I am completely tapped out for space.  Now when I buy something new, I have to get rid of something old.  Like with my recent purchase of a new pull-down machine.  Gave the old one to my neighbor.

I've never needed help with motivation.  I don't have a whole lot of interests/hobbies outside of exercise.
Fear the Beard!

Offline John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
I get motivation from being around other lifters.

I do when I am at my comps and that time we went to Hercules with you/John/Kelly.  If I could find a gym like that I wouldn't need to lift at home

My gym?  Not so much.  I rarely see anyone putting in anything that even resembles effort and most guys fuck around doing limited ROM shit while talking.

I just look at them with utter contempt and shake my head...

There is something to be said for atmosphere thats for sure. On days I just don't fuken want to lift I make sure I actually go to Herc because it helps me get going. As far as motivation I honestly can't say I'm ever motivated to lift at this point it's just something I do; kinda like brushing my teeth or taking a shower. I'm not motivated to do either but I brush my teeth everyday and shower once a week or so  :P

Home gym looks good. I use mine to save time when needed or is the weather is just too bad to go to Herc. Can't risk getting my Jeep dirty.
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Dm2Dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
/ \

Online Greg

• Striving to survive
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 226
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »
I have been home gym since 2003 now.  I just couldn't imagine waiting in line for a piece of equipment, getting unwanted advice, or dealing with peeps screwing around in the gym annoying me.  I get enough of that at home from my kids, but at least they are trained to leave me the f--k alone when I'm lifting.   ;D

Meh, I'm with Greg and Sakutoms, I get motivation from being around other lifters. My home equipment is kind of cheap and old also.

We had the gym at work I built and we had some damn nice equipment, however when it was just myself or maybe 1 other person in it the motivation was a bit lacking and I would half ass workouts and spend more time fuckin of watching tv, etc. I get pushed at Anytime Fitness just by having others around me.

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 05:39:52 PM »
I work out at home, but 90% due to my schedule and where I live.  I live in a little town that's not really near anything.  Plus, there's people at gyms. 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »
I work from home, so going to the gym is great for sanity reasons  ;D  I usually use my home gym only when I'm desperate, like it's a blizzard or I'm super busy with work or something.

I do like my gym though.  There's a lot of crap equipment in it, but there's some great stuff too.  And I like a lot of the people, while it's not a die hard gym like Herc, there's some cool people in it.  Also, we've got some guys that keep me entertained, like the guy who screams on every rep of every exercise he does.  First rep of first set of 15 preacher curls?  Scream of agony.  Fifth rep on dip machine = scream of ecstasy.  Last rep of shoulder press = scream of victory followed by WHOOOOO!!!! 

Oh, and people do weird things with the equipment, which is also fun to watch.  Today I walked in and found this in the power rack.  Hook above safety, hook below safety, safety crooked, plywood on floor.  Any guesses as to what was going on here before I showed up?  Kinda sorry I missed it, whatever it was.

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Weight: a fat 190-sumfin
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
I didn't realize you got the rack too.  Nice.  I bet that thick pad feels great on your shoulders too.  Probably better than the one RPS uses?  Theirs is definitely thicker than my bench, but that thompson pad looks even thicker.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »
It's thick as hell.  Only problem is the bench is too high for me to get leg drive and Lisa can barely touch her feet to the floor.

Need to work on those issues.....thinking some wood blocks or steppers or something....

Got some better lighting yesterday.  We only had a single 60W bulb on the ceiling and it was just dark and gloomy in there unless broad daylight.

I got some LED 14W bulbs that put out 1200 Lumens each and 2 hanging bulb holders so now I have the equivalent of 3 x 100W bulbs.  Much better for those early morning workouts.  My low-light vision is fucking horrible these days.

Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Weight: a fat 190-sumfin
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 08:06:40 PM »
It's thick as hell.  Only problem is the bench is too high for me to get leg drive and Lisa can barely touch her feet to the floor.

Need to work on those issues.....thinking some wood blocks or steppers or something....

Got some better lighting yesterday.  We only had a single 60W bulb on the ceiling and it was just dark and gloomy in there unless broad daylight.

I got some LED 14W bulbs that put out 1200 Lumens each and 2 hanging bulb holders so now I have the equivalent of 3 x 100W bulbs.  Much better for those early morning workouts.  My low-light vision is fucking horrible these days.

Yeah, you'll want to get that thing to regulation height.  Figure how much it's off and see if you can pad the difference with horse stall mats.  They won't slip and give plenty of traction too. 

I'm sold on LED and slowly converting all bulbs in the house to them now that the price is reasonable.  I put an LED shop light in front of my power rack and it made a huge difference.  With black floors, it looked even gloomier until I did that.

Offline TMonkey

• Global Moderator
  • bje me.
    • Monkey Boards
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 03:24:17 PM »

I changed all my bulbs to lower wattages when they burned out esp by the bench hated looking up into them - i have low watt cfls now and will replace with similar small leds when they go - fuck the light
you want a I-S shirt.  They have sales all the time, get one then.
http://www.zazzle.com/222university*

Online Greg

• Striving to survive
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 226
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 06:12:37 PM »

Pull it apart & cut 2" off the uprights, redrill your holes and you are done.
Had a Body Solid bench that was the same way.

Offline TMonkey

• Global Moderator
  • bje me.
    • Monkey Boards
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 03:28:47 PM »
my bs bench is to high - i always wanted the rogue one - how high is your bench?

they have a new monster version now
https://www.roguefitness.com/monster-utility-bench
you want a I-S shirt.  They have sales all the time, get one then.
http://www.zazzle.com/222university*

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »
I have the bench you posted above but I have the Thompson Fat Pad on it. I forget how high it is. 24" I think?
Powerlifting Meet Bests: