Author Topic: No rest for the wicked - Buffalo Meet!!!  (Read 2436 times)

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
Re: No rest for the wicked - Buffalo Meet!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
Don't know if everyone is on facebook, but it sounds like the Utica meet is on the chopping block due to difficulty recruiting spotters / loaders / volunteers in general.  And Gene said something along the lines that he was waiting to see if there would be a similar problem in Buffalo.  So if anyone who isn't competing might think about volunteering for even part of the meet, that would be a good thing.  I'd hate to see us lose both New York meets.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
Not on facebook.

If I wasn't lifting in the afternoon and also coaching Lisa in the morning session I would have helped in Utica.

Also don't they plan for this stuff?

I dunno....
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online itsagoodday

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »
Not on facebook.

If I wasn't lifting in the afternoon and also coaching Lisa in the morning session I would have helped in Utica.

Also don't they plan for this stuff?

I dunno....

I really don't know how it all works coordinating spotters / loaders.  Alex???

I feel bad I didn't offer to help in the afternoon.  The two things stopping me were I didn't think my back would tolerate loading 100 lb plates, and I'm not sure how happy 600+ lb squatters and 400+ benchers would be to see me as a spotter.   :o  I probably should have asked if there was anything I could do to help that didn't involve repetitive heavy lifting, but not even sure if there would have been.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 176
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »
Don't know if everyone is on facebook, but it sounds like the Utica meet is on the chopping block due to difficulty recruiting spotters / loaders / volunteers in general.  And Gene said something along the lines that he was waiting to see if there would be a similar problem in Buffalo.  So if anyone who isn't competing might think about volunteering for even part of the meet, that would be a good thing.  I'd hate to see us lose both New York meets.

I saw that and I felt terrible about not spotting for the 2nd session.

My elbows felt like hamburger, if I had to spot the squats it would have not been safe for the lifters or me. Probably could have done bench but they had help at that point. At the deads I wanted to jump in, but was like a squirrel in the road, should have jumped in though it would have set back my recovery a bit.

I'll help in Buffalo if needed, but not for 14 freaking hours.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online itsagoodday

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 09:51:34 PM »

I will say that Buffalo last year definitely did NOT have a 14 hour day, so there's that.

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »
When I go to the circus I've never been asked to spot the elephants as they step on the stools and to shovel their shit when they are done. I've never once heard an announcer guilt and chastise the paying audience because they're not prepared. 

This type of thing should be set up IN advance with backups on standby if necessary. The announcing about lack of volunteers was bush league, IMO. I like the way they run their meets and appreciate the efforts they put in but it's what they should be doing no? People pay for the privilege of lifting with them and as such they should expect the behind the scenes stuff to be handled prior- unless of emergency. Now I admit I'm not privy to the process they use to find folks to help but its obvious they need to re-think that process since it seems to be an ongoing issue. /rant

Ya I know this isn't the popular thing to say and I'm a dick NASFIG. I can live with that.
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Dm2Dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
/ \

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »
The announcing about lack of volunteers was bush league, IMO. I like the way they run their meets and appreciate the efforts they put in but it's what they should be doing no? People pay for the privilege of lifting with them and as such they should expect the behind the scenes stuff to be handled prior- unless of emergency.

It's just an event management thing. I got roped into managing the volunteers for an upcoming golf tournament. Just rely on them for 2 or 3 hours, tell them exactly when to start and stop, what they will be doing, and break up the work.

I've never managed volunteers at a PL meet, but I have a sense that if they broke down the duties into 2 hour segments people would be way more happy to help out. 

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online itsagoodday

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 11:22:10 PM »
Yeah, maybe having defined hours would help.  I believe they do pay people to help, but if not enough are interested, they would be stuck trying to wrangle more people at the meet.  They can't run it without spotters and loaders.  I really don't know either though.

Curiosity question, but did people from the hosting gym help out at this meet???  IIRC when they had it at Victory in Rochester, the lifting club from there helped out.  The only thing I heard about the folks from this hosting gym were that RPS could not set up their equipment on time, because the gym insisted on letting their members work out before the meet started.

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 11:41:24 PM »
Yeah, maybe having defined hours would help.  I believe they do pay people to help, but if not enough are interested, they would be stuck trying to wrangle more people at the meet.  They can't run it without spotters and loaders.  I really don't know either though.

Curiosity question, but did people from the hosting gym help out at this meet???  IIRC when they had it at Victory in Rochester, the lifting club from there helped out.  The only thing I heard about the folks from this hosting gym were that RPS could not set up their equipment on time, because the gym insisted on letting their members work out before the meet started.

Wouldn't it  make sense to have that as a prerequisite for bringing a meet to a location like this? I'm not sure what payments the gym receives but I can't imagine it would be difficult to tie some of that compensation on help from the hosting gym. IDK, I'm sure there is way more to it but I still feel like this should be set up prior to lifters stepping on the platform. Chastising the crowd shouldn't even be on the radar. Gene can spin things anyway he wants. When he bans lifters for something as small as sending a record certificate back for correction he loses sympathy points with running his business. 
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Dm2Dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
/ \

Online itsagoodday

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »
I'd be completely talking out my butt if I tried to guess how their contracts are set up with hosting facilities  :o  Although yeah, that thought certainly makes sense.

Dredging up help on the day of the meet is always going to be a really hard sell.  Very few people are sitting around at meets for no reason at all.  Most people are there because they're either lifting, waiting to lift, just finished lifting (and may be decimated at that point), or are already committed to assisting other people.  Those are all really valid reasons to not want to or be able to help out.  And I'm sure I'm also not the only person who holds back because they aren't sure if they're even appropriate for the job.  Like do I really want to be responsible when some guy fails a huge bench?  Um, not really, no.

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 08:52:17 AM »

I will say that Buffalo last year definitely did NOT have a 14 hour day, so there's that.
geez, I sure hope it's not.  The RPS meet I did last year was 14 hours and that was a very long and tiring day.
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
I was at the venue in Utica just a few minutes past 7am and I didn't start lifting until after 4pm. 

Finished lifting at around 9pm

That's a long fukking day.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
Like do I really want to be responsible when some guy fails a huge bench?  Um, not really, no.

I was going to volunteer Eli, but I don't want my 16 year old Son spotting a 700lb squat.

DIEL?

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 11:02:41 AM »
So... here's what's been happening.

Yes, Spotters & Loaders should be scheduled ahead of time.  With all my Meets, the loaders are paid and sorted, and they know they'll be getting paid.  So, I usually don't have any issue with it.  Judges are sorted ahead of time, and they know as well, that they'll get paid.

Apparently, 5 people were scheduled to Spot & Load on Saturday.  None of them showed up.  3 judges were scheduled, 1 showed up. 
Yes, this is full and well, Gene's issue.  He should have called and confirmed and planned for it.  That's what a Meet Director does.  After the Meet, everyone, except for the Gym owner (and the two guys picking up the chairs), headed out.  I can understand that, as they've paid $100 to compete, it was a long day, and as a customer, they can do that. 

As most of you all saw, I jumped in to assist as well.  Its part of what I do for RPS.  Gene does not charge me for sanctioning the Meets I run.  The payback, is that I help assist at the big New England Meets, without compensation. In two weeks, I'll be in NJ, sitting in a Judges chair all weekend, and then assisting with Clean-up.  Gene pays for my Hotel room, and picks up food & Tolls.  He's also compensating me the November Meet. I'll also be there until the venue is packed up and cleaned up. 

There's been some talk of "Sponsor" gyms assisting at a Meet, and being recognized as a group assisting the Meet.  Which is honestly how it should be.  The NJ Meets, are sponsored by Jersey Iron.  The Power Challenge up here, was sponsored by TPS (it's now being sponsored by a different gym).  The VT/NH Meets are all sponsored by Fair Haven Fitness.  It's that gyms responsibility to provided Spotters/Loaders. 

I don't know the contract between the Crossfit GYm and Gene last weekend, but it's usually $1000-$1500 to rent the space and provide support.  Again, dependent upon the contract they work out. 
My Meets, the Venue gets the door fee (and Trev can attest, it's a packed house).  That ranges from $800-$2000 depending on Spectators.

At this past Meet, I was there with Sabrina and the Boys, and the I-S crew.  I felt I should stay and help Gene clean up, but honestly I'd been there since 7am, and my last Dead landed at 9pm or so.  I was exhausted and simply wanted to get home.  As it was, we didn't get to bed until nearly 11pm, because the batteries in our hotel room door died, and the poor girl at the front counter had no clue how to change them out.  We were literally locked out of our room.  She scared up a mechanical key, and was able to get us in, and get the batteries sorted.

In retrospect, if the I-S crew had stayed and all of us had given him a hand, the clean-up would have gone quick and Gene would have been in LaLa Land with I-S.  Each of us had been through a long day, and I knew we were all smoked.

Small Secret here, I have my disagreements with Gene, with multiple reasons why.  I had a boss years back, that told me two things.  Part of my Job, is to make him look good.  His job, is to get the next one.  If I don't do mine, he can't do his.  In this case, with all my Meets, I aim to make the Lifters first, so they enjoy it and want to do bigger RPS Meets.  Same boss, also told me, it's not part of my job to like him.  I don't follow Gene on Facebook.  I do call and review with him on a regular basis.  I was on the phone for an hour with him on Sunday evening.

There are changes coming to RPS, and it relates to very much this issue.  Gene nearly landed in the ER on Saturday night because of exhaustion.  Weekends like this one, put stress on his Marriage, and with everything involved, his doctor has been telling him to slow down for 2 years now. 

If there's a Meet where I-S wants to get involved, the potential to have an I-S banner hanging behind the platform, could very well be available.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Online itsagoodday

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »
^^ Wow, good info.  I did wonder if there were no-shows causing issues.  I have zero experience running powerlifting meets, but I do have my own business and deal with clients.  I will say I've had to learn some hard lessons about people in general.  I've had to set up some strict rules to deal with the fact that some people just don't do what they say they are going to do.  If it was a matter of not following up properly with people ahead of the meet, that's one issue.  But sometimes people just suck, and no matter what they say and how much effort you do your end, they still don't follow through.  So yeah, I do have some sympathy on that one.

Side note: always wondered what would happen if one of those damned electronic hotel door locks failed.  :(