Author Topic: New trends in the gym...  (Read 1817 times)

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
New trends in the gym...
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:12:49 AM »
Notice anything new lately?

Here's a couple:  Guys that don't do traditional deadlifts but only do "rack deads" with straps and set the rack to about a 2" range of motion, then load it up with 4-5 plates per side and slam the bar around like they are all badass.

I think it's some sort of competition.

Females doing 500 different 'glute' exercises erry fukking day.

I swear I can't tell if these chicks are doing squats or good mornings.  Looks like they are sticking their butts out a bit and bending over.  Is that an exercise???
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: a fat 190-sumfin
Re: New trends in the gym...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
Looks like they are sticking their butts out a bit and bending over.  Is that an exercise???

Maybe not but I approve and encourage

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:45:08 AM »
I rarely see anyone doing rack pulls, if they are it's usually me, but I make sure the bar is below knee level.   You're right about the glute thing,it's guaranteed that there's at least 3 girls doing some sort of glute exercise at any given time.
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »
We've had a recent explosion of strong people in the gym.  Last night, I couldn't find a Bench, and all three Squat racks were full of people squatting.  Legit Squatting to parallel.  Three guys last night benching 300+ for reps. Deadlift Day, we've been running out of Plates.  And no lie, there's a lot of 45lb plates in this gym.  Two guys last night doing Seated OHP with 225 on the bar. So, this is a trend I'm good with.  We were passing a nose tork bottle between 6 different lifters last night.

I have seen the Chicks Doing Butt Exercises.  They'll come in and do 45 versions of a Squat, of which 20 are done on the Smith machine. Then spend 20 minutes on the Donkey Kick machine.  Followed up with a few reps of Shoulders and another 20 minutes on teh stair climber. How can you have an hourglass figure if all you do is Glute Work?

The other recent trend, is the 42 variations done on the Good Girl/Bad Girl Machines.  I seriously didn't realize you could do that many different exercises.

And then, there's my lady, who just Squats heavy, and has been scaring guys out of the gym.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
I rarely see anyone doing rack pulls, if they are it's usually me, but I make sure the bar is below knee level.

I think if you actually do deadlifts and use PROPER rack pulls (bar below the knee) then there's nothing wrong with it.

If you don't pull from the floor EVER and you're pulling from 3/4 the way up your thigh and acting all badass because you've got 4-5 plate son the bar you're just being a wanker.

You're right about the glute thing,it's guaranteed that there's at least 3 girls doing some sort of glute exercise at any given time.

I went to the gym one Saturday and there was this chick that did nothing but glute exercises the entire time I was there, and after EACH AND EVERY SET she would check out her own ass in the mirror, as if that each set had some immediate and noticeable impact.  It was bizarre.

Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Offline Get-n-fit

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:46 AM »

I think if you actually do deadlifts and use PROPER rack pulls (bar below the knee) then there's nothing wrong with it.

If you don't pull from the floor EVER and you're pulling from 3/4 the way up your thigh and acting all badass because you've got 4-5 plate son the bar you're just being a wanker.
There was a growing trend of kids coming in deadlifting 185 and slamming the weights on every rep!  I literelly LOL'd when I saw this and then was pissed bc fucking management didn't do anything about it, but when I'm pulling 500lbs + and setting it down as quietly as possible they run over and bitch at me saying it's not a power lifting gym (this was at LA fitness).  My new gym loves when I lift heavy, they are all about serious lifters....he may even buy us a nice PL bar bc I maxed out the current bar with 675lbs worth of weight.
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »
It's the Instagram world we live in.  Internet is filled with pics of women in thong underwear with broomsticks on their backs and butts stuck way out "squatting".  And the caption usually reads something like "Be a bad ass with a good ass" or "No sweat no beauty - no squat no booty".

Bottoms are in.

I try to keep my head up, back straight and tight, chest up.  It's an up and down movement, and I think if I'm doing it right no one should see my vagina except the floor.  If am bent over so that my perineum is visible to passersby, then the lift is lost because I won't recover from that lean.

And yeah, when we were deadlifting yesterday there was guy in the rack beside me doing rack pulls with maybe 2 inches rom and I turned to Mr Flexy and said "Can't I do those instead? I'm tired!"
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Get-n-fit

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
It's the Instagram world we live in. 
Oh yes, definitely that!!  all day long in the gym I see girls with their phones up in the air taking pictures of themselves from various angles.  I hate to admit, but it's even worse at my new gym, a lot of the females are BBing competitors and are very into social media.
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:43 AM »
Guys who wrap their knees to leg press.  I have never seen these same guys squat.  We also have one guy who wraps his knees for his entire workout, brought his girlfriend in one day and wrapped hers, too.  She had to keep going over to him to get rewrapped, because they'd fall down around her ankles.  But they were talking about how important it is to protect your knees.  With loose wraps.

I. don't. even.

:o

Offline cmoore

• Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 180
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »
Bunch of gripless wonder chalk fairies in my gym since January. Even chalking up for bench. Damn gym looks like it snowed. Chalk f@#$ing everywhere. Pisses me off.
"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

Offline EpicBeardAJ

• Buildin' doll-house furniture and kickin' ass!
  • Height: 5-10
  • Weight: 216
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
I haven't worked out in a commercial gym in about 15 years, so I can only imagine what goes on in them these days.   :o
Fear the Beard!

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 176
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
I workout in a college gym. For the last few years errybody wanna be an Olympic lifter. I've seen about 3 people doing it well with heavy weights. The other day a couple little Asian girls stepped onto a platform and I was kind of rolling my eyes thinking "oh here we go, more Olympic Lifters."

Then one of them effortlessly snatched something around her bodyweight :eek:
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »
See all kinds of odd things when I head to the commercial gym. Since I don't head over there very often it's always a hoot seeing what some guys/gals are doing.  I'm sure some of them think I'm one of those "come in and do curls or tris and that it" since the times I head to the commercial gym are just for extra/iso stuff.

We have a newer employee, young guy, that's been in our gym the past couple of months. Kind of threw the whole dynamic out the window as he runs one of those canned "fitness" apps on his phone, turns the radio to a Christian station (seriously, I can lift to just about anything but that) and form is freaking horrible (tries to push to much weight).
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 04:54:27 PM »
Bunch of gripless wonder chalk fairies in my gym since January. Even chalking up for bench. Damn gym looks like it snowed. Chalk f@#$ing everywhere. Pisses me off.

My gym also allows chalk, and it amazes me where people are using it and in what quantities.  Oddly, the few competitive powerlifters are the most respectful with it.  It's everyone else who is throwing it all over the cable machines and circuit equipment.   ::)

I workout in a college gym. For the last few years errybody wanna be an Olympic lifter.

That's funny, I was just talking to a girl last week who had been training at one of the local colleges the last few years.  She said everybody there was into Olympic lifting, and that they were horrible to work around, complaining if you tried to do something within 20' of them kind of thing.  Huh.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »
I use chalk sparingly on deads, bench and pulldowns.

Occasionally on squats but usually only in the summer if my hands get too sweaty.

Always clean up afterwards.
Powerlifting Meet Bests: