Author Topic: Slingshot for weakling  (Read 1034 times)

Offline flounderbout

• Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 180lb
Slingshot for weakling
« on: January 10, 2017, 03:01:54 AM »
So my bench is shit, has always been shit, and prolly always will be shit.
It took my the best part of two years just to get it past 2 plates, and it hasn't gone much further since (my best is a paltry 112.5kg (248lb).
I have tried all sorts of things to get it moving with very little success.  Was thinking of getting myself a slingshot to see if that helps with form/overload just to shift things on a bit.
Any thoughts?
I don't want to be that prick in the gym using chains when he can only bench 135lb.  Is a slingshot something that only benefits reasonably advanced lifters?  Or do you think I can usefully see some benefits even with my bench?
One step forward one step back crew

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Slingshot for weakling
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 05:42:42 AM »
It's not a huge investment and who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks?

I have one and Lisa has one too (hers is pink).

I feel like it helped me.  Certainly allows me to add some weight without wrecking my shoulders.

I would highly recommend one along with a healthy dose of DNGAF.  :D

Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
I have the yellow one and a black one. I think they are very helpful for overload work, the slingshot doesn't help for the entire lift, what ever is on the bar you will be pushing at the top.  I think the biggest benefit is that it helps you get used to the weight sitting in your hands and helps break some mental barriers.  I prefer to use them for paused reps so I'm not using the rubber band effect to bounce it off my chest. 
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline flounderbout

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »
It's not a huge investment and who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks?

I have one and Lisa has one too (hers is pink).

I feel like it helped me.  Certainly allows me to add some weight without wrecking my shoulders.

I would highly recommend one along with a healthy dose of DNGAF.  :D

Thanks Flex.  It wasn't so much that I worry about what anyone else thinks - no-one's taking any notice of the scrawny old guy in the corner anyway.  Just that I see guys with tiny lifts with PTs doing loads of stuff with chains and stuff and I always think they are wasting time on gimmicks when what they need is just to do more simple stuff (plus learn to squat, obviously :D). 

Would not have been offended if someone had said "dude, your bench is 250lb, just go and eat and stop worrying about kit" or some such...!

Will go and buy me a pink s/shot... :D

Offline flounderbout

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:36:35 AM »
I have the yellow one and a black one. I think they are very helpful for overload work, the slingshot doesn't help for the entire lift, what ever is on the bar you will be pushing at the top.  I think the biggest benefit is that it helps you get used to the weight sitting in your hands and helps break some mental barriers.  I prefer to use them for paused reps so I'm not using the rubber band effect to bounce it off my chest.

Cheers GnF.  I think the mental thing should help me.  Once I get up near my max I always get a touch of the "holy feck this is heavy" thing I used to get with squats until Smolov beat it out of me...  Also good tip re pausing...  Cheers.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:49:05 AM »
Just that I see guys with tiny lifts with PTs doing loads of stuff with chains and stuff and I always think they are wasting time on gimmicks when what they need is just to do more simple stuff (plus learn to squat, obviously :D).

I see your point and if you were a newb I wouldn't recommend it.

But you've been lifting for a while and if you're stuck then this might help you get past 250 and on your way to a 3 plater.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
I have had one for a few years.  Haven't used it in a while.  It's just another tool, but it's not magic.   
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
I'll voice a different opinion.   I have never seen anyone with the issue of their bench being the last little bit of lockout.   It is the lower third.   This helps you get past that portion.    Only real benefit I can see (besides ego boost) is helping guys who lift with shirts.    The shirts provided the bottom third and lockout is almost all on the guys power as the shirt is not stretching at that point.

I think if you want to bench more, work on your weak spots.....dont pick an accessory that helps you through it.    Now if you said your bench is great, but you cant lockout.....I might say different.  (but I'll take a wild guess and say that is not your problem)

Online tooth

• Weight: ???
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »
I'll voice a different opinion.   I have never seen anyone with the issue of their bench being the last little bit of lockout.   It is the lower third.   This helps you get past that portion.    Only real benefit I can see (besides ego boost) is helping guys who lift with shirts.    The shirts provided the bottom third and lockout is almost all on the guys power as the shirt is not stretching at that point.

I think if you want to bench more, work on your weak spots.....dont pick an accessory that helps you through it.    Now if you said your bench is great, but you cant lockout.....I might say different.  (but I'll take a wild guess and say that is not your problem)

Nailed it. 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »
Definitely helps me get past mental barriers.  Sometimes the numbers play such a role in my head.

Also, it is the little reward I keep for the end of my sesh.  Only once I've finished and worked really hard, do I get to play with my slingshot. 

And yes, pink is the best colour.   ;)
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 10:52:42 AM »
I always fail on the lockout when I fail on bench.  I don't recall ever getting outright pinned at the bottom of the press.

Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »
I've a Maddog Slingshot, and can say it's helped with mental barriers.  My triceps are the weak point of my bench, and I often fail right when the weight transfers from Chest to Triceps. 

The slingshot has helped me overload and get mentally past that, and it's helped with overloading the muscle to push my triceps harder.  I maintain the same speed as I would without the Slingshot as I do with.

A big piece with this is safety.  It Allows you use more weight than you can safely handle when it goes wrong. Use it on a bench that has safety pins.  If it goes wrong, the weight comes right back at your face FAST! 
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »
I like mine but use it sparingly. Once or twice a month is all the use it gets. I don't know if it's helped my 1rm but I do know that the overload work has made that "oh shit" moment happen less often. I also like that it takes you through the full ROM reinforcing good form. Also, it lets me get a bit more volume with heavier weight after my worksets and can really finish off my tris.

Like others have said it's not magic just another tool. I personally think overload work has a carryover.
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Dm2Dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
/ \

Offline flounderbout

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »
Much 'preciate all these thoughts all. 

Though dammit I was hoping it would be at least a little bit magic !  :'(

Thanks ID.  This was the sort of view that I was wondering about but in a vague way - but you've articulated just what I wondered.

The take home message for me from TT is "its just a tool, not one to be used regularly, and its not going to perform miracles, particularly if your sticking point isn't lock out.  But may be good to shift a few mental hurdles".   In which case may be worth playing with.  It won't be the most expensive waste of money in my gym locker anyway! 

Also thanks for the safety tip Deralta.  Will bear that in mind because I usually bench with no spotter in a commercial gym with no safeties.  Maybe I will keep it at home for when I bench in my rack occasionally. 

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 05:12:37 PM »
I like them, but only work them into my programming occasionally.  They're great for getting heavier weight in my hands.  I've found that on both bench and squats, if I unrack near my max and my first thought is OH CRAP THAT'S HEAVY, it's not going to be a great lift.  Being able to handle something +20/+40 whatever over my max means that when I do unrack something heavy raw, it just doesn't feel like as big a deal.  Also there is the thinking that overload work in general primes the CNS for heavier weights, but I'll admit that's not a subject that I understand well.

My only complaint is that there is the full range of these in the powerlifting back room at my gym now, and I know I'm not strong enough to play with the yellow or black, but geez would I like to.  That is depressing.