Author Topic: From heels to flats?  (Read 895 times)

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
From heels to flats?
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
Hey guys, been sick the last few days and feel to shitty to train....so when that happens I think too much...

I have been squatting for quite a while now in adipowers (.75 inch heel) When I first got them they really helped my squat, and for those who know me, my squat has been a constant struggle with form, strength, injuries etc.
I am getting better, getting stronger and think I found the form I will stick with and work at getting stronger.

I am considering trying my next session without my squat shoes. I don't have any ankle mobility problems, I can hit depth without issues etc. The reason I "think" this may help me is by getting less forward knee travel, I will engage my hips and hams more and possibly get more power out of the hole. I also am wondering with less weight forced down to my toes, I may be able to drop between my knees better.

I know there is only one way to find out...try it..and I will once Ebola is over...
Just wondering if anybody switch back to flats after wearing heeled shoes a long period and their experiences with it?
Thanks!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: From heels to flats?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »
I squat in sock feet only until I get heavy then I put my squats shoes on that have a 3/4" heel.

I prefer having the heel for heavy weight.  Have not squatted in flat shoes in years. When I did I wore OTOMIX PowerTrainers or UltimateTrainers.  Great support with no heel.

IMHO:  squat shoes with heel > flat shoes > no shoes

YMMV

Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
I squat in sock feet only until I get heavy then I put my squats shoes on that have a 3/4" heel.

I prefer having the heel for heavy weight.  Have not squatted in flat shoes in years. When I did I wore OTOMIX PowerTrainers or UltimateTrainers.  Great support with no heel.

IMHO:  squat shoes with heel > flat shoes > no shoes

YMMV
Thanks Jim, I was thinking of you when I posted this as you have been squatting in socks in your journal. I think I will find the same results but will give my warmups a go in socks next session to feel it out.
I have changed so much with my squat lately, it just had me wondering if the initial benefits I felt with the heels when I originally bought them were still relevant.
☻/
/ \

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:08:44 AM »
Has allot to do with squat form.  Wide low bar = flat.  Closer feet high bar = oly shoes.  I switched to oly shoes because I struggled with depth.  I think I was just being a pussy though. 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:40:10 PM »
Has allot to do with squat form.  Wide low bar = flat.  Closer feet high bar = oly shoes.  I switched to oly shoes because I struggled with depth.  I think I was just being a pussy though.
Thanks Tooth, I am lowbar but a fairly narrow stance. I messed around a bit on my warmups wearing socks, the vids revealed me getting further forward in and out of the hole. I have enough trouble staying upright with my long femurs so think I will just stick with the heels. Maybe I will revisit this if I manage to bring my stance out more but for now they seem to be more beneficial for me than anything!
☻/
/ \

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »
I switched to squat shoes and never went back.  I think, as you mentioned, the only way to know if to just do it, record it and see how it feels and looks.  If you have the mobility and still hit depth and feel more comfortable, then make the switch.
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat