Author Topic: USPA  (Read 461 times)

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
USPA
« on: October 12, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »
Anyone know anything about USPA, or done one of their meets?  I was planing on doing a full meet in December, but it looks like the meet I was planing on might not happen.  The guy that runs it does not think he's having that one this year due to how the holidays fall.  There are a few others in December, but they are all push pull.  I had it in my head that I wanted a 500 squat at a meet this year and was mentally thinking it would be at the December EPF meet.  The only full meet I can find in December around here is USPA.  I think I'm going to do it just so I can get in another full meet and a chance at a respectable squat.  Just figured I'd get some feedback.

Thanks
Tooth
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Re: USPA
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 02:03:53 PM »
I've heard mixed things about them.  I'd recommend really reading over all the rules and just give it a go. 
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »
I went to one back in March. My girlfriend was competing at it.  20 or so lifters, and it still took 5 hours.  There were three lifters that just walked out part way through.  It may have been that particular venue or Meet director, but it was a horrid show. 

You may have better luck if it's a bigger USPA Meet, or a different director, though.  Oh, and you'll be walking out that squat. So, If I were you, I'd bring spotters you trust.

Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 02:50:16 PM »
I've heard mixed reviews too, and that's why I threw it out there.  Might get to see Alex again Dec 11th.  I REALLY wanted to get a respectable squat this year, but everything seems to be pushing me to do the RPS push pull for the shrine.  Need to give this some thought. 

Thanks
Tooth
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I

Offline GatorBison

• Height: 5'3
  • Weight: 210
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:55:08 AM »
I just did a USPA in Tampa last weekend.  It was hastily put together because of the hurricane, like under 72 hours.  Went off without a hitch, and was awesome. 
  You should have no concerns if your meet director is Richard Ficca.  I can't speak on anyone else, but I would definitely vouch for Rich. 

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:49:28 AM »
I just did a USPA in Tampa last weekend.  It was hastily put together because of the hurricane, like under 72 hours.  Went off without a hitch, and was awesome. 
  You should have no concerns if your meet director is Richard Ficca.  I can't speak on anyone else, but I would definitely vouch for Rich.

I wonder if that was due to the meet cancellation at the Miami fit expo, that was either USPA or USPLA.  Glad you had a good time!
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline GatorBison

• Height: 5'3
  • Weight: 210
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 06:40:59 PM »
Yep, the Ft Lauderdale fit expo's cancellation sent most of the lifters west to Tampa.