Author Topic: BLKs Training Journal  (Read 64875 times)

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
Re: BLKs Training Journal
« Reply #1590 on: December 08, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
Flying through TSA.  Are you going to be doing that meet in a couple of weeks?
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #1591 on: December 09, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
TSA - W6D4

Paused Bench Press
   250 x 3
   250 x 3 @10 *
   250 240 x 3
   240 x 3 @10
Paused Conventional Deadlift
   310 315 x 2
   315 x 2
   315 315+80#chains x 2 @8
NG Pullups
   15 x 5
   15 x 5
   15 x 5
   15 x 5
   15 x 5 @9
CGBP
   225 x 3
   225 x 3
   225 x 3 @9

* I'm thinking I should have chosen a training max instead of using my PR from my last meet for this program.  Especially considering I was cutting during the program.  The bench pressing has been entirely too difficult and I'm getting too many @10s for my sets overall.  Squats to some extent also, but more so because of my hip I think.  Deadlift seems to be going well, but I've always been strong with lower weights.  Once I get up to my max is where it gets to my head.

Been watching a lot of the Calgary Barbell channel.  May try that program next year for my May meet prep.  I like how it also incorporates different variations of RPE training into it.

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #1592 on: December 09, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »
Nice work Ron. I guess thats the other side of the coin. I underestimated my lifts and for the most part it's pretty easy. I think bench is pretty close for me but it all feels heavy. It's interesting to see how these programs work differently for each individual.
the only easy day was yesterday

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1593 on: December 10, 2017, 05:42:07 PM »
Nice session Ron! Bench in this program is tough to guage. I have overshot it more times than actually got it right. I died on my 7ís today, was too damn sore after the layoff. Ah well, all reps in the bank anyways.
☻/
/ \

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #1594 on: December 11, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »
Can't you just recalculate and pick up from there? Heck, I've had to do that when the weights weren't "right".

Calgary BB is one I'm thinking about for next spring.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #1595 on: December 11, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
Nice work Ron. I guess thats the other side of the coin. I underestimated my lifts and for the most part it's pretty easy. I think bench is pretty close for me but it all feels heavy. It's interesting to see how these programs work differently for each individual.

My 1RMs were based off of lifts I did at 200.  Now at under 180, I doubt I'd be able to hit those maxes.  Maybe deadlift because I pulled 395 at my meet and just missed 425 so I went with 400 as the max for the program.

Nice session Ron! Bench in this program is tough to guage. I have overshot it more times than actually got it right. I died on my 7ís today, was too damn sore after the layoff. Ah well, all reps in the bank anyways.

When my 7's were tough, I was hoping it was just because I'm a low-rep kinda lifter.  I still may be, but not as much as I had hoped  :-\

Can't you just recalculate and pick up from there? Heck, I've had to do that when the weights weren't "right".

Calgary BB is one I'm thinking about for next spring.

This is exactly what I am doing to complete the program.  I took 5% off which is what I should have done from the start and will go from here to the end of the program.  When I start CBB, I'll do 95% for the percentage parts.  As it progresses, RPE is used more and more to compensate for strength increases and autoregulation which should help out.  I'm hoping my hip is better by then so I can lowbar again.

TSA - W7D1
Lowbar Squat *
Highbar Squat w/ 2ct pause
   185 x 8
   185 x 8
Highbar Squat to pins below parallel **
   225 x 5
   225 x 5
   245 x 2
   265 x 0 (lost balance and fell back on the pins) vid
   265 x 2
   265 x 2 vid
   * I worked up on my warmup sets to 275 x 3 with lowbar, and every set hurt my left hip from bar x 10 all the way to the 275.  I even narrowed my stance to almost shoulder width with 275 and it still hurt.  Decided to try highbar and was happy  that it didn't hurt and I got to do some work.  I think I'll roll with highbar the rest of the program and hope the hip heals.  Maybe, just maybe it'll add some size to my lack of quads. 
   ** I flipped sides of my power rack because the height of the mono is too low for highbar.  While I was at it, I figured I'd raise the pins as well, but was surprised to bottom out on the first rep with 225.  So I rolled with it and decided to pin squat today.  Depth was fantastic with the new shoes and highbar position.  Probably my lowest squat ever.

Paused Bench Press
   220 210 x 6
   210 x 6
   210 x 6
   210 x 6 @8.5 Taking off 5% from here on out.
Superset
   BOR
      195 x 5 x 5
   CGBP
      195 x 5 x 5

Literally pinned  :-\

Came back and nailed it though.

Meh... last set of bench.  nothing spectacular

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1596 on: December 12, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
Pin squats looked great Ron, nice redemption after the pinning! Great looking depth. Smart move on the 5% drop in bench, I dropped 5lbs off all my working sets as well a few sessions back. The biggest factor on my bench strength is BW and if that isnít moving up, neither is my bench.
☻/
/ \

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #1597 on: December 12, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
Revenge reps looked smooth.
☻/
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Blog
« Reply #1598 on: December 12, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
Great looking workout there Ron.  Nice job with those pin squats...talk about going with the flow...nice job there.

Btw, I have to say you have one sweet gym.  I've been going through your thread in the equipment forum documenting the evolution of your home gym and that is just awesome.  I love a good home gym and it looks like you have one of the best man. :)
Everybody's always in such a rush all the time...I can't fake where I'm at...you're just where you're at. -Mark Bell

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #1599 on: December 12, 2017, 04:46:30 PM »
Pin squats looked great Ron, nice redemption after the pinning! Great looking depth. Smart move on the 5% drop in bench, I dropped 5lbs off all my working sets as well a few sessions back. The biggest factor on my bench strength is BW and if that isnít moving up, neither is my bench.
I hate the fact that I have to get fat to bench more  >:(

Revenge reps looked smooth.

Thanks Dave.  I like that term.   That's pretty much how I approached those sets too :D

Great looking workout there Ron.  Nice job with those pin squats...talk about going with the flow...nice job there.

Btw, I have to say you have one sweet gym.  I've been going through your thread in the equipment forum documenting the evolution of your home gym and that is just awesome.  I love a good home gym and it looks like you have one of the best man. :)
Thanks.  I've never been a good highbar squatter.  When someone taught me lowbar in my teens I never really looked back because it felt better on my back and I was able to add weight fast.

The gym was born out of necessity and has been a work in progress. I think its just about done for what I do.  The only thing I'm not all to happy with for my gym is the mis-matched plates.  Having to ensure the pairs match can be a pain and may actually be pointless due to inaccuracy of the cheap plates.  I think my next step is to buy a set with plenty of 45s/55s then pawn what I have off on craigslist where they all came from.

Online reduni

« Reply #1600 on: December 12, 2017, 06:53:38 PM »
Pin squats look tough. I'm loving all the different variations of the basics everyone seems to be throwing into their routines. Good session all around Ron.
the only easy day was yesterday