Author Topic: 2016 RPS New York State Powerlifting Championships - Buffalo, NY  (Read 6174 times)

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Re: 2016 RPS New York State Powerlifting Championships - Buffalo, NY
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2016, 03:41:57 PM »
Jeez you are getting hella strong.

Stance on your squats looked really narrow to me.....
Finally had a chance to watch your vids, and great job. 

I'll 2nd hat Flex said.  Your squat is really narrow.  Have you tried moving your feet out a little?  Maybe to just slightly outside your shoulders?  You may find better stability with a slightly wider stance, that's just my 2 cents though.
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
Nice lifts!
When you pushed your 265 up, I had guessed 280-285 as being your third. 265 went up well enough and all.. but yea, it looks like your stance almost got tighter on the 280... and may have had a negative impact. After 265 I would have put money down on a 280-285...   next time!

Nice work overall. It's fine to miss lifts if they are your last lifts -- at least in my book. Clearly, you want to make them, but you are on the platform and trying to dial in some 5 or 10 lb range of success or failure..  can be hard.. and we all tend to go heavier so we don't walk out thinking we left some on the platform...

Good stuff.

Thanks Trev!  Attempt selection is an art, not sure I'll ever master it completely.  I think I went 9/9 once, but wound up feeling afterwards like maybe I'd just played it too safe and should have tried harder.  I'm learning about myself that I'd rather aim a little too high and fail than feel like I left anything on the platform.  Although it would be nice to aim a little too high and NOT fail, but maybe I'm just getting greedy at that point lol.

I think I was in pretty much the right weight range for third attempts on squat and bench though, just need to fix some things and dial them in.  Deads I was just plain wrong on attempt selection, I had a voice in the back of my head telling me to submit 330 or 335 as a second attempt instead of 340, but I ignored it.  My bad  ;D

Finally had a chance to watch your vids, and great job. 

I'll 2nd hat Flex said.  Your squat is really narrow.  Have you tried moving your feet out a little?  Maybe to just slightly outside your shoulders?  You may find better stability with a slightly wider stance, that's just my 2 cents though.

I'll keep playing with squat stance, it used to be wider and was brought in more recently.  I'm not a naturally gifted squatter by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm constantly morphing it this way and that way trying to find improvements.  Some things pan out better than others, and some things stick around longer than others, but every single part of my squat stance and technique has changed at some point, and likely will again.  Hopefully for the better  :o

The more I watch that 280 video, the more it looks like my feet were so narrow that I started to descend with my knees tracking too far outside of them.  That knee shimmy inwards almost seems like a self-correction, because it brought my knees back in line over my feet.  Huh.  Now I'm questioning whether I really lost stability, or if I just had my stance so narrow my body had to shift hard to put my knees back in a safer place.  Don't know.  Either way, I need to correct it. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:20:06 PM by itsagoodday »

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 176
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2017, 08:57:15 AM »
Is this happening in 2017?  :S

It's not on the RPS calendar.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
Is this happening in 2017?  :S

It's not on the RPS calendar.

Aw   :-\  Hopefully it's just a delay getting in listed on there.