Author Topic: Alternative to DB Pullovers?  (Read 774 times)

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 176
Alternative to DB Pullovers?
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »
I really love the pullovers (as Arnold did) they stretch out the chest and expand the rib cage so nicely after a great bench session. Yesterday as I was doing them with a 90, I realized what a load they put on my elbows in an area not designed to bear such heavy weight.

I know they have a nautilus machine that mimics this and you push from your elbows so the elbows aren't in the equation, but none of my gyms have this :-\

Any suggestions for lift that will mimic the pullovers without putting my elbows in such a compromised position?
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
Re: Alternative to DB Pullovers?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 08:37:23 PM »
You can mimic the movement with a cable pushdn and various bars.   I have used a lat pull dn bar for a wider grip.   Depending on how close you stand and what angle you hold with you body, you can change the apex of the movement as well as how far back you go.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 176
Re: Alternative to DB Pullovers?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:45 PM »
You can mimic the movement with a cable pushdn and various bars.   I have used a lat pull dn bar for a wider grip.   Depending on how close you stand and what angle you hold with you body, you can change the apex of the movement as well as how far back you go.

I've done those but don't feel it, I can't get up to the weight I need for one thing (for DB pullovers I put my feet under a pair of DB's) and my elbows are still in the mix. Maybe with V-Bar and straps... hmmm
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?