Author Topic: Slowly building my own gym  (Read 8250 times)

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
Slowly building my own gym
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:15:30 PM »
The gym I go to is okay I guess, but some days it is difficult to get the time to go if my day is full of meetings or I have family stuff to do.  They don't allow chalk to be used or dropping weights when deadlifting.  I have been sneaking my chalk in wrapped in a towel.

I installed a pullup bar last night and just bought 265# of oly plates off of craiglist for $50.  I still need a bar and more plates so I can at least deadlift at home.  I'm going to make my own platform with stacked plywood and rubber matting.  I've been checking craigslist several times a day to jump on deals I see.  I found another person selling 290# oly plates with a curl bar for $80 I'm trying to jump on.  That ad is 5 days old though so I'm not confident about it.

It sucks because I used to have everything I needed and sold it all 5 years ago when I officially gave up on ever returning to iron.  I sold over 400lbs of oly weights, my bench/squat rack, and dumbbells from 10lb - 70lb.  Now I'm back and having to get all that stuff back again.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Slowly building my own gym
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »
That's cool.

I have 650lbs of plates, spin collar DBs, adjustable bench, squat rack with pully for pulldowns, pressdowns, rows, and 2 oly bars.

Garage is cramped so I rarely use it, but when we get a bigger house I will set it up inside and add to it.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
That's cool.

I have 650lbs of plates, spin collar DBs, adjustable bench, squat rack with pully for pulldowns, pressdowns, rows, and 2 oly bars.

Garage is cramped so I rarely use it, but when we get a bigger house I will set it up inside and add to it.
That's pretty much our plan for when we move the way you have it.  I told the wife I'll need a 4 car garage (My Jeep, my commuter car, my work area, and my gym).  Her car can stay in the driveway :)

Offline rangerNY

• That rug really tied the room together
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 210 lbs
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:15:26 PM »
I have 650lbs of plates ...

So, like one trip out to the truck to carry it in, right?   ;)
- Drew

"Remember that guy that gave up?  Neither does anyone else."

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
I have 650lbs of plates ...

So, like one trip out to the truck to carry it in, right?   ;)
I think that's why he has two oly bars.  He loaded each of them up with 325 of plates can carried them into his garage.  Then he had a beer.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
lolz
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 176
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »
I would sell you my stuff if you were closer, hate lifting at home
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 04:06:46 PM »
Meet ya half way :D

I hate lifting at home too, but it's better than not lifting because I can't find a 2 hour block of time to get out of the house.  I'll still keep my membership at the gym since it's next to nothing at $10 a month (not planet fitness >:()

Online PVSampson

• Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 181 lb
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 05:01:46 PM »
I love lifting at home,take one step out of my bedroom in to my "gym" and I have a decent view as well.Might be a bit rough but it is functional,and it's fun accumulating gear.
'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 10:47:30 PM »
Meet ya half way :D

I hate lifting at home too, but it's better than not lifting because I can't find a 2 hour block of time to get out of the house.  I'll still keep my membership at the gym since it's next to nothing at $10 a month (not planet fitness >:()

Exactly the reason why I went the home gym route.  Less excuses to not do something.  And there's a idiot taking his sweet old time on what I want to use. Or dopes that must start using dumbbells where they pick them up,  keeping everyone from grabbing a pair within 20# of what they used.  End rant.

Got 2-300# oly sets plus another 100# of other oly weights,  ez curl bar, 2 oly dumbbell handles, a golds gym selectable db set (only goes to 50, need to upgrade), a adjustable bench that pulls out and can use uprights for squats,  a homebrew cable station setup, redneck pullup bar (electrical conduit hung on by 2x4's), treadmill, and upright bike.  Lots of years of collecting stuff when I wanted/needed it or having it on a wish list until I either saved up for it or found it used.

Not too much you need a gym for as long as you can be creative enough.

Best part?  My own music and shower. 

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »
Just picked up four more 45lb plates and a 7' bar.   That brings my total weight to lift to 490lbs which I hope to one day pick up all at once.  I'm in business to do my deadlifts in the comfort of my own home once I pick up some plywood and rubber horse stall matting.  That's on my list for next weekend.  I didn't have the cash on hand to get a weight tree while I was there, but that'll be okay for now.

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
I use a 2x4 on top of cement block,  gives me just a hair of space to load and unload plates. It also allows me to set down the weights as hard as may be needed without damaging the weights or floor. It'll give you about 3/4" of height off the floor.  Simple $5 solution until you get the other stuff assembled.

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »
I use a 2x4 on top of cement block,  gives me just a hair of space to load and unload plates. It also allows me to set down the weights as hard as may be needed without damaging the weights or floor. It'll give you about 3/4" of height off the floor.  Simple $5 solution until you get the other stuff assembled.

I can't do that since I'll be starting with the bar higher.  I'm just going to worry about building the platform for deadlifts for now until I get the power rack since I won't know it's dimensions 'til I get it.  I'm getting 3 sheets of junk 1/2" particle board to stack for my base, then one 3/4 sanded plywood sheet for the middle where I stand, and horse matting for the outer edge where the weights will be dropped.  That'll be 2.25" of wood/rubber over the concrete flooring.  When finished, it'll look like this one.

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
  • FEELING "LESS" FATCKED!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:48 AM »
Well on your way now. Congrats on the CL scores.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
I got everything I needed for my deadlift platform and started putting it together.

I'm letting the liquid nails setup now and will be finishing it up tonight.