Author Topic: Andrew's Big 3 Journal  (Read 59333 times)

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
Re: Andrew's Big 3 Journal
« Reply #1200 on: April 28, 2018, 12:32:40 AM »
2 Week out, life has been crazy AF but doing my best to get the training in. These are my training days for Wk 21:

Wk 21, Day 1
4-23-18
Squat with Belt
385 x 1 @ 8 smoked it easy
360 x 3 @ 8
360 x 3 @ 8
360 x 3 @ 8.5

Bench Press
240 x 1 @ 8.5
225 x 3 @ 8.5
225 x 3 @ 8
225 x 3 @ 8.5
225 x 3 @ 8
225 x 3 @ 9
215 x 1 @ 6
230 x 1 @ 7.5

T-Bar Row
45 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5 @ 5
110 x 5 @ 6
120 x 5 @ 7
120 x 5 @ 7.5
120 x 5 @ 8

--------------------
Wk 21, D2
4-24-18
Deadlift (conv) with Belt
405 x 2
455 x 1
495 x 1 @ 5
525 x 1 @ 8 moved fast but grip feels weak at lockout
495 x 3 @ 8
495 x 3 @ 8.5
495 x 3 @ 10

Low Pin Bench Press
195 x 3 @ 6
205 x 3 @ 7
215 x 3 @ 8
215 x 3 @ 8
215 x 3 @ 8
225 x 3 @ 9

Notes: If i get a long hold at the meet on my deadlift it may mean red lights for me. My grip is weak due to tendonitis type symptoms on my right elbow

---------------------
Wk 21, D3/D4
4-27-18
missed thrusdays session due to work. But did a combined session today

2ct Pause Squat
225 x 5
255 x 3 @ 4.5
280 x 3 @ 5.5
300 x 3 @ 6.5
325 x 3 @ 7.5
325 x 3 @ 8
325 x 3 @ 8

Wide Grip Bench Press
135 x 6
175 x 6 @ 4
195 x 6 @ 6

2" Deficit Deadlift (conv)
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 3 @ 6
405 x 3 @ 5.5
425 x 3 @ 6.5
strapless for all reps. working on strengthening grip. Widened grip slightly and it felt better on the elbow

2 Board Bench Press
215 x 3
235 x 3 @ 7
255 x 3 @ 8
265 x 2 @ 10
overshot RPE on last set. Finished the 2nd rep but it was a grinder

Note: Grip still feels uncomforatable on elbow when doing deads but i did make some headway today on it.
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1201 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:59 AM »
Lifts are looking fantastic Andy! An easy 385 @8 is damn strong, you are gonna bring the heat on squats.
Deads are just so awesome as always for you, Iím sure youíre elbow will start feeling good during youíre taper and grip wonít be an issue.
Bench is really moving too! Damn, a good meet is coming brother!!
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #1202 on: April 30, 2018, 09:17:50 AM »
You're looking super strong in all your lifts Andy.  This meet is going to be a good one for you. :)

I agree with Shawn that once you start tapering the elbow should hopefully start feeling good again.  When you're in the heat of a peak it's hard to back off and let it heal up but a taper should be good for that.

I'll see you Tuesday night...time to "Train Untamed!" :D
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online reduni

• Weight: 205
« Reply #1203 on: April 30, 2018, 12:58:02 PM »
You've been busy Andrew. Strength is going up up up! Sorry to hear the elbow is still being a bitch for you though. I bet adrenaline kicks in and grip wont be a problem at the meet.
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Online Andrew

« Reply #1204 on: May 08, 2018, 10:33:27 PM »
Been so damn busy working out of town Iím slacking on my logging but training has been going well. Iím 4 days out now. Yesterday I worked up to a single at my planned openers which are 175/107.5/235 kg. Squat and bench felt good, deadlift single moved ok but felt like shit. Probably because I was wrenching on my sons car all weekend and I woke up yesterday sore as fuck from hunching over the engine bay. Iím sure on Saturday there will be a lot more there
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #1205 on: May 09, 2018, 12:43:53 PM »
Been so damn busy working out of town Iím slacking on my logging but training has been going well. Iím 4 days out now. Yesterday I worked up to a single at my planned openers which are 175/107.5/235 kg. Squat and bench felt good, deadlift single moved ok but felt like shit. Probably because I was wrenching on my sons car all weekend and I woke up yesterday sore as fuck from hunching over the engine bay. Iím sure on Saturday there will be a lot more there

They might have felt like shit but they looked strong man...along with Squat and Bench too. :)  It looks like you're in good shape for your meet.  Just remember, no wrenching between now and then. :D
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #1206 on: May 13, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »
Saw your lift results in your IG "story".  Looks like you had a good strong day...congratulations! :)  Your hard work paid off...
- Brian Shaw

Offline John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
« Reply #1207 on: May 13, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
Saw your lift results in your IG "story".  Looks like you had a good strong day...congratulations! :)  Your hard work paid off...

Same. Nice work man! Loved the IG story chronicle more than If the lifts were on there :D
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Bm2Bm crew (---Bench Moar to Bench Moar---)
/ \

Online Andrew

« Reply #1208 on: May 17, 2018, 01:18:02 AM »
thanks guys, been super burnt out and just resting for the last few days. Starting to feel refreshed again and finally got around to uploading my vids and made a more detailed write up:

I went 7/9 and totaled 560kg, 1235lb. It is a 6lb PR over my previous meet total (which was in wraps, and with a deadlift bar). Had fun and finished healthy

Squats went 3/3 with 175/187.5/195. Everything went as planned, I hit all the A option attempts and the 3rd squat of 195kg was actually around a 9 or 9.5 RPE.

Squat Attempt  1, 175kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko-U_3cBNgU

Squat Attempt 2, 187.5kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyjYwlsEIy0 

Squat Attempt 3, 195kg (6lb PR and in sleeves)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqIfQeZ59lw 

Bench went 2/3 with 107.5/115/117.5(miss). Opener moved good, but the jump to 2nd seemed too big and my 2nd attempt ended up being a major grinder. I think I  mis-grooved it and it moved forward on me and it took everything I  had to save it. Nothing more was there for the 3rd, I  took the smallest jump possible but missed it.

Bench Attempt 1, 107.5kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsl1HtI6m14

Bench Attempt 2, 115kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il2ZqHFcIzc 

Bench Attempt 3, 117.5kg (miss)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpG3jw9uOk 

Deadlift went 2/3 with 235/250(miss)/250. Opener moved good, 2nd attempt I  had a technical error and I  had a hiccup mid way up and got 2 red lights. I repeated the 250kg and lifted it at about a 9/9.5rpe and got a clean lift for the third.

Deadlift Attempt 1, 235kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqhu2T0T05k 

Deadlift Attempt 2, 250kg (miss)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw1usb5T8yM

Deadlift Attempt 3, 250kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxRs6Fu9WiY

Overall, I  think the plan was on target, with the exception of bench where my strength was off. Deadlift I just failed to execute, I think the strength was there for 260kg, but after missing the 2nd, I  played it safe and didnít go up for my third. The meet was not very well run, they had me in the wrong weight class. I was told it was fixed but when my flight started, I was not shown on the list of lifters.  They were never able to fix it, so the whole meet I had to ask the scoring table where I was in the list, and they were basically winging it for my lifts because I wasnít in the computer.

I have a post meet debrief meeting with my coach Monday. Really want to see his thoughts on bench because i basically trained bench 4 days a week for 6 months, put on 10lbs of bodyweight and didn't add a single pound to my Bench Press in the meet. That is frustrating to me, and suggests a different approach is needed. Doesnt look like i am responding well to the high frequency training for bench

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:25:34 AM by Andrew »
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #1209 on: May 17, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
Andy it looks like you had a good meet despite the missed deadlift attempt #2.  Honestly I didn't see anything wrong with that attempt myself...way to recover from that though and get it on #3.

Bench is a tough one man...progress can be tough there...I know it has been for me too.

That's crazy about the flight deal and not being listed with the other lifters.  That would have thrown me off too.  Meets are usually hectic enough without something like that going on.  Nice job keeping focus and working through it.

Are you taking a little time off this week to let the elbow heal up?
- Brian Shaw

Online Andrew

« Reply #1210 on: May 17, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »
Andy it looks like you had a good meet despite the missed deadlift attempt #2.  Honestly I didn't see anything wrong with that attempt myself...way to recover from that though and get it on #3.

Bench is a tough one man...progress can be tough there...I know it has been for me too.

That's crazy about the flight deal and not being listed with the other lifters.  That would have thrown me off too.  Meets are usually hectic enough without something like that going on.  Nice job keeping focus and working through it.

Are you taking a little time off this week to let the elbow heal up?

Thanks Greg, missing the 2nd deadlift did make me wonder what I had left in the tank for the 3rd. Fortunately the third flew up and even more was there.

The meet was a bit screwed up. Even at the end they gave first place to a guy in my class who I out deadlifted by 155lbs and out totaled by 185lbs. I questioned the meet director and he assured me the results were correct. Well, yesterday he sent me an email letting me know that I was right and I indeed won my class. He is going to send my medal in the mail.

So far no training this week. I have been feeling mentally and physically drained. However, I am bouncing back and feeling ready again. I think Iíll do a light session today after work
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #1211 on: May 19, 2018, 07:52:30 AM »
Thanks Greg, missing the 2nd deadlift did make me wonder what I had left in the tank for the 3rd. Fortunately the third flew up and even more was there.

The meet was a bit screwed up. Even at the end they gave first place to a guy in my class who I out deadlifted by 155lbs and out totaled by 185lbs. I questioned the meet director and he assured me the results were correct. Well, yesterday he sent me an email letting me know that I was right and I indeed won my class. He is going to send my medal in the mail.

So far no training this week. I have been feeling mentally and physically drained. However, I am bouncing back and feeling ready again. I think Iíll do a light session today after work

Damn Andy that sucks about the medal.  That's good they finally recognized you were right and are sending it to you in the mail, but they should have been able to keep shit straight in real time.
- Brian Shaw

Offline John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
« Reply #1212 on: May 19, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »
After doing an RPS meet it's hard to do any other as they run them so well.

As for bench progression; I've taken the guy I'm training from a balls out 275 to a decent moving 300 in less than 3 months. We bench 4 times a week also but much different format. Using the same format my bench is now about 350 again and climbing.

I'd be interested in hearing what your coach says and what direction you go.
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Bm2Bm crew (---Bench Moar to Bench Moar---)
/ \

Online reduni

• Weight: 205
« Reply #1213 on: May 19, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »
Congrats on the PR Andy. And no wraps either. That's some great progress. A couple hiccups but it happens. I hear you on the bench progress or lack thereof. That's a hard one to figure out.

I'm glad they figured out your proper placing in the end but it's puzzling to understand why they couldn't do it right away once it's pointed out. Oh well, it's over now and you can move on. Any plans on the next meet?
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Online Andrew

« Reply #1214 on: May 28, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »

Damn Andy that sucks about the medal.  That's good they finally recognized you were right and are sending it to you in the mail, but they should have been able to keep shit straight in real time.

Yeah, i found it hard to believe that this other guy won, when i out deadlifted him by 156lbs. At least they got it fixed up

After doing an RPS meet it's hard to do any other as they run them so well.

As for bench progression; I've taken the guy I'm training from a balls out 275 to a decent moving 300 in less than 3 months. We bench 4 times a week also but much different format. Using the same format my bench is now about 350 again and climbing.

I'd be interested in hearing what your coach says and what direction you go.

Thats insane progress going from 275 to 300 in less than 3 months. Killer that your bench is around 350 again. Is that near PR territory, and at a much leaner BW? You guys must be on to something good

I met with my coach, here were his thoughts on bench:

1) He thinks that I might de-train quick on bench and we may have cut volume too early before the meet. My E1RM was around 269 during my last full week of training before the meet. I only worked up to my opener about 5 days out and then my last warm up 3 days out. Very little volume. Next meet we wont cut the volume until 3 days out.

2) My form needs work. We really focused heavy on the deadlifts because when i started with him i was jerking the bar and we wanted to establish a safer form for deads. Bench didnt get the focus that it needed. He said i need to work on pulling my shoulders back and down with lats, and rotate my chest back towards wall behind me.

3) My mental approach towards bench needs work. I fall into a trap of defeat before i even lift sometimes because bench has been my toughest lift to progress on. We are working on mental cues to stay positive and expect success.

4) I shouldn't have taken a hand-off at the meet because i never do it when training. He said compete how you train.

5) We are not changing frequency, i'll still be benching 4x/wk, and we are adding in sling-shot work

Congrats on the PR Andy. And no wraps either. That's some great progress. A couple hiccups but it happens. I hear you on the bench progress or lack thereof. That's a hard one to figure out.

I'm glad they figured out your proper placing in the end but it's puzzling to understand why they couldn't do it right away once it's pointed out. Oh well, it's over now and you can move on. Any plans on the next meet?

Thanks Rich, i am really happy with my squat and matching my deadlift max on the stiff bar. I am planning another meet in November

☻/
/ \
Team RTS