Author Topic: Working out three times a week keeps skin younger  (Read 456 times)

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
Working out three times a week keeps skin younger
« on: January 08, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
When I fret about the visible signs of aging in my face, Mr Flexy tells me that the gym will keep me young.  He's right, and researchers agree.

McMaster University researchers are telling us that working out three times a week keeps skin younger and may even reverse the effects of aging on skin in people over 65.  Researchers biopsied skin from subjects' arses and confirmed what they already knew: older skin showed thicker strata cornea -- the outer layer -- and thinner dermis -- the inner layers -- than younger subjects.  (It is that thick out layer over the thin inner layer that gives us saggy skin.  Think of a canvas canopy and how it sags after the rain from the weight of the water on top. One reason why exfoliation is so beneficial as we age.)

But when they selected for age and exercise levels, the effect of exercise became clearer: Male participants in their forties had skin biopsies of 20- or 30-year-olds, and the effects persisted even past age 65.

The researchers believe that proteins known myokines, secreted by muscle cells, diffuse to far-off locations in the body.  When researchers examined subjects' biopsies, they found a specific type of myokine, called IL-15, was in greater concentrations, as much as 50 per cent more, in those who exercised.

Full article here:  http://www.everythingzoomer.com/needs-potions-lotions-exercise-job/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=AR_Scheduler&utm_campaign=Facebook
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
Re: Working out three times a week keeps skin younger
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »
Well, that explains why I look so awesome :o
the only easy day was yesterday

Offline Remdiron

• Height: 177
  • Weight: 89
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:09 AM »
You make me more knowledgeable. I like all of you very much

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:22:11 AM »
You make me more knowledgeable. I like all of you very much

Welcome aboard!   :)
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”