Author Topic: Greg's Lifting Journal  (Read 11783 times)

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
Re: Greg's Lifting Journal
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
Felt like that going to Herc with John a couple of times. My near max efforts are first round warmups for most of the men and women there lol
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2018, 05:23:15 PM »
Felt like that going to Herc with John a couple of times. My near max efforts are first round warmups for most of the men and women there lol

I can imagine...Herc gym looks like a place with some heavy lifters for sure.

Personally I feel like this guy sometimes at ST Gym...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGD-ZJWzwXI

Well maybe not that bad but you get the point. :D
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 05:58:05 PM »
Best of luck at your meet.  You've done the work in training.  Now just rest up and show off the results at ST.

Offline Dave

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 06:48:36 PM »
lmao Greg that's exactly how I feel when I go there ;D
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2018, 09:16:36 AM »
Yesterday morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_4A) as follows:

Tri-set:
Deadlifts 4-165, 3-205, 2-245, 2-265, 1-300, 1-345
Bench Press 4-135, 3-155, 2-175, 2-200, 1-225, 1-245
Band Facepulls  25, 25, 25, 25

Squats   4-135, 3-160, 2-185, 2-210, 1-235, 1-260

Bodyweight: 211.2 Pounds

Workout Duration: 44:29.87 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Good final workout getting ready for my meet.  Everything felt pretty good.  My elbows are still sore but hopefully another few days of rest will leave them feeling fresh.  Kept my weights low at 80% or less and knocked them out.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for Sunday and then getting 'er done. :)

Best of luck at your meet.  You've done the work in training.  Now just rest up and show off the results at ST.

Thanks Ron. :)  Yeah at this point the training is done and I am where I am.  Now it's just matter of waiting, resting, and then lifting on Sunday.  I'm looking forward to it.

lmao Greg that's exactly how I feel when I go there ;D

Yeah...usually at least I look like I'm having more fun than that guy though. :)
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

Offline Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »
Good luck Greg, go crush some PRís!

Question- do you know if I can drop in and lift at SuperTraining or Untamed Strength on Tuesday? Iíll be in Sacramento for work Tuesday and need to find a gym to hit my workout
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »
Good luck on Sunday Greg!! Rest up and eat like a king!
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2018, 04:13:16 PM »
Good luck Greg, go crush some PRís!

Question- do you know if I can drop in and lift at SuperTraining or Untamed Strength on Tuesday? Iíll be in Sacramento for work Tuesday and need to find a gym to hit my workout

Thanks Andrew. :)  I'm hoping to have a big day.

I sent a PM to your BB.com account with the contact info I have for both gyms.  I have great workouts at both of them and I'm sure you will too.  We'll have to hit one of them up together some weekend when you're down this way.

Good luck on Sunday Greg!! Rest up and eat like a king!

Thanks Shawn. :)  I've definitely been doing the "eating like a king" think for the past couple of days.  I'm looking forward to getting in there and seeing what I can do.
- Brian Shaw

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2018, 02:13:02 PM »
Yesterday I competed at the SuperTraining Classic Push/Pull meet in Sacramento.  It was a great experience and I wound up setting a couple of PRs.

My warmups and meet lifts were as follows:

SlingShot Bench Press:
Warmups (Raw)   8-135, 5-185, 3-225, 2-245, 1-275
Attempt 1 - 303.10
Attempt 2 - 314.20
Attempt 3 - 325.20 (PR)

Deadlifts:
Warmups   5-95, 3-225, 2-315, 3-315, 2-365
Attempt 1 - 385.00
Attempt 2 - 413.40 (PR)
Attempt 3 - 418.90 (PR)

Overall it was a great meet.  I set a couple or PRs which was nice.  I wasn't sure what to expect with the SlingShot bench, and honestly I was nervous about that, but it turned out to ge a lot of fun.  The night before I had a terrible time falling asleep and wound up with less than 3 hours so I was worreied about that too but it worked out OK.

One thing to note is that when I signed up I thought I'd be lifting on the same day as Mark Bell, Brian Shaw, Stan Efferding, Matt Vincent, etc., but they wound up lifting after the women and lightweight men on Saturday instead.  I (along with a lot of the other competitors I talked to) were bummed about that.  I still wound up getting to meet Stan Efferding and Jesse Burdick so that was cool, but my son was disappointed he didn't get to meet Brian Shaw.  In any case it was a great day of lifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqWHEtQBDF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBDcB2go-V0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNMU-XRp3Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9T90c3uBvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMsMP6mTejU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKBN9La38sU

This morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_4A) as follows:

Tri-set:
Squats   4-155, 3-190, 3-225, 3-250, 2-280, 1-310
Band Facepulls   25, 25, 25, 25
Decline Bench Press   5-145, 3-175, 3-205, 3x3 @ 230

Tri-set:
DB Hammer Curls   6-35, 6-35, 8-35
KB French Press   10-40, 10-40, 10-40
Decline Situps   10, 10, 10

Bodyweight: 211.2 Pounds

Workout Duration: 44:25.76 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Good workout today.  I just did a push/pull meet yesterday and normally I'd take a few days off after a meet to rest up.  However, I have a full meet coming up on 1/27 so I had to move on to my next squat workout today to get ready for that meet.  My hammies were sore from yesterday but otherwise I felt good.  Still I didn't push it too hard to keep from injuring anything.  I worked up to a single at 310 on squats and did a 3x3 @ 230 on decline bench and then moved on to a quick accessory circuit.
- Brian Shaw

Offline Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2018, 03:54:19 PM »
great meet, that looked like fun. I watched all your vids and your lifts were flying up! Looks like you came in strong and executed.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2018, 05:04:07 PM »
No rest for the wicked! Guess with the next meet around the corner u gotta keep going! Might be an good idea to ditch things like abs/shoulders and arm work the next bit leading up? Keep the specificity high?
Great job at the ST meet buddy, so cool to watch it on the live stream at work yesterday.
All your lifts were fast and strong, with lots more there in the tank!
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2018, 05:33:52 PM »
great meet, that looked like fun. I watched all your vids and your lifts were flying up! Looks like you came in strong and executed.

Thanks Andrew. :)  Yeah it was definitely a good meet.  It felt like I was in good shape and ready to go for this one.  I think those final two taper workouts (with 92% then 80%) you suggested really helped.  I'm trying to adjust my upcoming schedule to get those same workouts in right before my next meet too.

No rest for the wicked! Guess with the next meet around the corner u gotta keep going! Might be an good idea to ditch things like abs/shoulders and arm work the next bit leading up? Keep the specificity high?
Great job at the ST meet buddy, so cool to watch it on the live stream at work yesterday.
All your lifts were fast and strong, with lots more there in the tank!

Thanks Shawn. :)  A'int that the truth about no rest.  You're right about ditching the accessories like abs/shoulders/direct arm work.  Today I couldn't help myself though...and I did a little bit of all of those things.  Really though I kept them very light and not intensive...it mainly just felt good to get everything loosened up again after yesterday.  From this point until 1/27 it'll be high specificity and no extra fluff.

That's great you got to watch it on the livestream.  I wound up checking the recorded version out on YouTube last night and that was cool they did that.

One other comment I'd make is that I really liked the push/pull format.  I might check into doing more meets like that in the future.  I know a "true" meet has S/B/D but there is something nice about doing a meet without stress from squats.
- Brian Shaw

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
Haha ya I can see a push pull meet being right up my alley. Squats stress me dafuq out too, last year when squats were finally done I almost found it hard to get pumped up for the rest of my meet, lol. Guess that's why they put them first
☻/
/ \

Offline Dave

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
Greg I was watching live yesterday for a bit but missed all of your lifts.  Looked like a great venue and well put together.  Getting me psyched for April ;D  Great to see them. Those deads flew up man and gratz on the prs.  You did very very well!!!

On to the next meet in a couple of weeks ;D
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2018, 08:23:36 AM »
Haha ya I can see a push pull meet being right up my alley. Squats stress me dafuq out too, last year when squats were finally done I almost found it hard to get pumped up for the rest of my meet, lol. Guess that's why they put them first

Yeah me too...although once squats are done and I'm on the board it is a huge relief.  They are the only ones I ever worry about bombing out on. :D

Greg I was watching live yesterday for a bit but missed all of your lifts.  Looked like a great venue and well put together.  Getting me psyched for April ;D  Great to see them. Those deads flew up man and gratz on the prs.  You did very very well!!!

On to the next meet in a couple of weeks ;D

Thanks Dave. :)  Yeah I'm happy  with my lifts.  It gives me a good gauge of what to go for in a couple of weeks.  It was definitely a good venue and a well-run meet.  At one point there were quite a few spectators there as well which was a new experience.  It's funny though when it comes time to lift it mainly just feels like it's me and the main judge there and everyone else kind of disappears.
- Brian Shaw