Author Topic: Greg's Lifting Journal  (Read 4081 times)

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
Re: Greg's Lifting Journal
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2017, 08:38:50 PM »
Christmas was good to you :D. SSB does sound like a great alternative to front squats. Front squats suck so freakin bad....
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
This morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_2C) as follows:

Superset:
Bench Press 3-135, 3-145, 3-175, 3-200, 3-230, 3-260, 2-275, 1-295
Band Facepulls   25x4

SlingShot BP   2-295, 1-315

Superset:
CGBP   3x6 @ 200
SSB Squats   5-135, 3-175, 1-195, 3x5 @ 225 (FSL)

KB French Press   3x10 @ 40

Bodyweight: 212.8 Pounds (Down 7.8 Pounds from 7/9)

Workout Duration: 58:18.13 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Good workout today.  Starting with yesterday's workout I had to switch up my order some so I'll be at the right place for my push pull meet next weekend.  Thus, I did workout B yesterday, C today, and I'll do A on Thursday.  I also moved today's workout up by a day and did it without a rest day.  Bench felt good.  I hit all my planned reps.  The original SlingShot has been really nice at letting me get in overload work.

Yesterday morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_2B) as follows:

Deadlifts   3-155, 3-205, 3-245, 3-275, 3-315, 3-355, 2-375, 2-405
     Note: All sets were Conventional 4" Block Pulls

Superset:
Deficit Deadlifts  3x3 @ 275 (FSL)
     Note: All sets were done with a 1.75" Deficit
OHP   6-65, 6-85

Superset:
Bent Over Rows   3x8 @ 205
OHP   3x5 @ 95

Bodyweight: 212.8 Pounds (Down 7.8 Pounds from 7/9)

Workout Duration: 41:47.83 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Christmas was good to you :D. SSB does sound like a great alternative to front squats. Front squats suck so freakin bad....

Damn straight...Santa was good to me this year. :)  Seriously, though, I've always liked the idea of front squats but always stopped doing them quickly because of their suckiness.  The SSB is great and I think it'll be part of my plan for a long time to come.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »
Strong benching Greg! Strong pulls as well, are you going to be doing
any full regular pulls before the meet?
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2018, 07:55:16 AM »
Strong benching Greg! Strong pulls as well, are you going to be doing
any full regular pulls before the meet?

Thanks Shawn. :)  Yeah the bench is filling good right now and is on an uptick so that is excellent.

For the deads, I'm planning to do deads from the floor with my workout this weekend.  At one point I read some articles from Louie Simmons about having his lifters train with rack/block pulls and deficit deads leading up to a meet and only pulling from the floor at the meet itself.  I've been basically following that training idea this time but I did want to get one session of floor pulls in before my meet just to make sure I've got a feel for those leverages.  In the couple of weeks between my first and second meets this month I'll go back to block pulls and deficit deads again.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2018, 09:48:17 AM »
Just keep in mind that Louie only trained equipped lifters and a deadlift suit makes off the floor easier.  They train the upper portion of their lifts hence board presses and box squats.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
This morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_2A) as follows:

Tri-set:
Squats   3-135, 3-155, 3-190, 2-225, 1-250, 2-280, 1-295, 1-320 (vid below), 3-275
Band Facepulls   25, 25, 25, 25
Incline Bench Press   5-115, 4-145, 2-175, 4x6 @ 200

Bodyweight: 208.4 Pounds (Down 12.2 Pounds from 7/9)

Workout Duration: 56:11.79 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Good medium (3's week) workout today.  I only did 3 lifts so I could primarily focus on my squats.  I worked my way up to a single at 320 and then did a back off triple at 275.  Aside from that I did band facepulls to loosen up my shoulders and some incline bench press to tighten them back up. :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdiBHfjHJOQ

Just keep in mind that Louie only trained equipped lifters and a deadlift suit makes off the floor easier.  They train the upper portion of their lifts hence board presses and box squats.

That is a great point Ron, and honestly I was a little worried about that, but I have also been doing deficit deads to mitigate that somewhat, since those allow me to pull from the ground and then some. :)  Also, historically when I've failed a max deadlift attempt it has been at the knee level...off the ground I'm usually good.  The deciding factor on this for me though was really just hip pain.  I had so much pain a couple of months ago that I wasn't able to do conventionals at all.  I switched to sumos for a while and then to the blocks and everything feels great now.  I'll give conventionals from the ground a go on Saturday to make sure all is good and then I'll be ready to roll for the SuperTraining meet on 1/14.
- Brian Shaw

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
This morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_3B) as follows:

Deadlifts   3-155, 3-185, 3-215, 3-255, 2-295, 2-335, 1-375, 1-390, 1-410 (Vid Below)

Superset:
Multi-Grip OHP   5-75, 5-85, 3x5 @ 95
Pendlay Rows   5-155, 5-175, 3x5 @ 195
     Note: All sets were pulled from 4" Block Pulls

Superset:
SSB Squats   3-140, 3-175, 3x3 @ 235
DB Hammer Curls   3x6 @ 35

Workout Duration: 1:18:18.79 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Excellent workout today.  I'm starting my final 3 workouts ahead of my meet on 1/14 (next weekend).  Today was my deadlift day.  I've been planning to pull from the floor this week so I gave that a whirl.  I used double overhand with versa-style straps for all sets except for the last...for the last I used mixed grip as I'll use at the meet.  I think that really limiting my use of mixed grip has also helped eliminate most of the back/hip pain along with using blocks for training.  The final set of 410 went well and it felt like I had another 10-15 pounds in the tank which lines up perfectly with my goals for the meet.  I'll open with 385 and hopefully go for 418.9 or 424.4 on my final attempt depending upon how #2 goes.

I added OHP back into my routine a few weeks ago after laying off them for a while to let my shoulders heal up.  Well my shoulders have been barking since I added them back in so I switched over to using my multi-grip bar today and they felt much better.  For my PRows I used my DL blocks which seemed to put no strain on my lower back.  I usually do bent over rows but would prefer to do PRows more often...they just usually bother my back.  These blocks might be the answer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdnO0AUh85B
- Brian Shaw

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
Strong pull Greg! Definitely more there for meet day!
☻/
/ \

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2018, 01:09:56 PM »
nice pull Greg. One week out now, i'd cut out all the assistance stuff and keep it simple now. FYI-Here is what RTS recommends on their generalized intermediate program. I did this before my last meet and it worked good:

Monday: Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. Work up to 92% of previous 1RM for one set of one.
Wednesday: Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. Go through your warm up routine (not heavier than 80%)
Friday / Saturday: Competition. Test 1RM in Squat, Bench, and Deadlift
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2018, 01:48:49 PM »
This morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_3C) as follows:

Superset:
Bench Press 3-135, 3-160, 3-190, 2-215, 1-245, 1-275, 1-305 (vid below)
Band Facepulls   25x4

SlingShot BP   1-315 (vid), 1-325 (vid)

CGBP   3x5 @ 225

Superset:
Multi-Grip Chins   3x5 @ 45+BW
KB French Press   8-40, 8-40, 10-40

Workout Duration: 1:08:20.51 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Another good peaking workout today.  This was my last heavy bench session prior to 1/14.  I think I mentioned this before but since Mark Bell is putting on the meet a SlingShot is required on bench and that's why I've been training with it more than usual.  I worked up to 1 rep at 305 raw and then did 1 rep at 315 and 1 at 325 uaing the original strength SlingShot.  My right shoulder was sore and barking a little from the OHP but otherwise everything felt good.  I have my opener at bench set at 303.1 so I should be in good shape for that.  It's challenging for me to pause with the SlingShot (more so than raw bench at least) so I'm not sure how high we'll be able to take it at the meet.  It should be a little easier if I can get my brother to hand-off for me at the meet.

(3 Bench Vids)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdqD35YB5pX

Strong pull Greg! Definitely more there for meet day!

Thanks Shawn. :)  I'm certainly hoping so.  Usually with the DL bar at the meets I'm able to get a little more weight up so I think I should be good to go.

nice pull Greg. One week out now, i'd cut out all the assistance stuff and keep it simple now. FYI-Here is what RTS recommends on their generalized intermediate program. I did this before my last meet and it worked good:

Monday: Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. Work up to 92% of previous 1RM for one set of one.
Wednesday: Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. Go through your warm up routine (not heavier than 80%)
Friday / Saturday: Competition. Test 1RM in Squat, Bench, and Deadlift

Thanks Andrew. :)  That is good info.  I've been toying with doing something similar but I was unsure of the %'s to use...I'll give yours a try.  I like the plan for Monday and Wednesday.  In my case the competition is on Sunday (and I already worked out today) so I'll shift to Tues and Thurs but otherwise do what you suggest there.  Time to go set some new PRs. :D
- Brian Shaw

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
Mirin that heavy bench session Greg! It's a slingshot bench comp? That's awesome!
☻/
/ \

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2018, 06:43:30 PM »
Great Benching!  Damn you are so calm when you lift.  I'm no Pete Rubish either, but you're like a day at the office.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
This morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_3A) as follows:

Tri-set:
Deadlifts 4-195, 3-230, 2-270, 2-305, 1-345, 1-385
Bench Press 4-145, 3-175, 2-205, 2-230, 1-260, 1-285 (with SlingShot Original)
Band Facepulls  25, 25, 25, 25

Squats   3-155, 3-185, 2-210, 2-240, 1-270, 1-295

Bodyweight: 209.0 Pounds (Down 11.6 Pounds from 7/9)

Workout Duration: 55:32.51 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Good meet prep workout today.  I followed the %'s recommended by Andrew and everything felt pretty good.  I've actually been feeling a bit beat up for the past week or so (sore shoulders and elbows) so I think the heavier sets are starting to add up.  Today I just did the mininum sets and reps to build up to 92% of my last 1RM in each lift and called it a day.

I have one lighter workout with the same exercises but capped at 80% scheduled for Thursday.  Then there'll be a couple of days of rest followed by the meet on Sunday.

Mirin that heavy bench session Greg! It's a slingshot bench comp? That's awesome!

Thanks Shawn. :)  Yeah it's a SlingShot bench comp which is kind of cool but also a bit of an unknown for me.  Pausing with the bar using the SlingShot is a bit more challenging for me than pausing when Raw benching.  Aside from that, though, I think it should be fun.  Plus, I can definitely lift more with the SlingShot which is nice. :D

Great Benching!  Damn you are so calm when you lift.  I'm no Pete Rubish either, but you're like a day at the office.

Thanks Ron. :)  Yeah I don't feel calm when benching but it does come across that way on video.  I usually try to dive in and get it done without thinking about the weight on the bar too much.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:12:28 PM by ptreyesgreg »
- Brian Shaw

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2018, 01:59:09 PM »
Not that I know anything anyway but I had never heard of a slingshot bench comp before.  Man you're going to some big numbers going up on the weekend.  Have fun!
☻/
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »
Not that I know anything anyway but I had never heard of a slingshot bench comp before.  Man you're going to some big numbers going up on the weekend.  Have fun!

Yeah I had never heard of that either.  I'm expecting there will be some very strong dudes there making some big lifts.  When I got to the Super Training gym to workout I'm always amazed to see the guys in there hitting 400-500 and above benches.  Of course they have arms the size of my quads. :D
- Brian Shaw