Author Topic: Shawn's Gonna Get on Dat Platform!!  (Read 38429 times)

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
Re: Shawn's Gonna Get on Dat Platform!!
« Reply #1440 on: January 11, 2018, 05:07:16 PM »
Tsa w8d1
Morning Weight: 189

Banded hip work
hip circle
Baby makers

Squats:
Bar x 5 paused
135 x 3
225 x 2
275 x 1
315 x 1
345 x 1

Program Sets:
370 x 1 vid @8
350 x 2 vid
350 x 2 @8

Bench:
Bar x 10 of CGBP/ultrawide/comp
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3

Program Sets:
240 x 5
240 x 5
240 x 5 vid @8.5

CGBP:
215 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 5 @7.5

Wide grip pull-ups:
5 3ct paused up/down
5 3ct pause up/down
14 AMRAP

Dun:

Notes: good workout, haven't had this much weight on my back since April and it felt good. Happy with my form on 370, I held it fairly tight. Took it slow and controlled as I could but didn't feel all that heavy.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:05:44 PM by ShawnJ »
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1441 on: January 11, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »
I"m with Ron. Looking forward to your test week. Everything is looking strong. It's gonna be good.
Thanks Rich, I should be able to get some good weights up, but don't know about any PR's. I will be going for some of course, but most my best lifts have been done weighing well over 200lbs.
☻/
/ \

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #1442 on: January 11, 2018, 08:54:16 PM »
Safe to say all of the injuries have healed! Well done on those squats today Shawn.
☻/
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #1443 on: January 11, 2018, 11:49:37 PM »
Strong ass squats. Form held on 370 real well. Bench is looking great too
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #1444 on: January 13, 2018, 08:10:03 PM »
Moving some big numbers Shawn. Gotta love them singles and doubles.
the only easy day was yesterday

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1445 on: January 13, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »
Tsa w8d2
Morning weight: 189

Hip circle
Hip flexor stretches
Lat pulldowns
Cat/camel

Deads:
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 2
405 x 1
455 x 1

Program Sets:
500 x 1 vid
500 x 1
500 x 1 vid @9

Bench:
Bar x 10 of CGBP/ultra wide/comp
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 2
240 x 1

Program Sets: all paused
255 x 3 vid
255 x 3
255 x 3 vid @9

Pendlay Rows:
135 x 5
255 x 5
255 x 5
255 x 5 @9

Dun

Notes: late one after work. Went well, the 500 pulls felt stronger this week than 480 last week. Form wasn't great but ah well. Had to use versas again as I still have a torn callouse that is healing.
Bench went good too and got all my reps paused.
I was pretty wrecked on Pendlays after the pulls but got it in.

☻/
/ \

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1446 on: January 15, 2018, 09:50:23 AM »
Safe to say all of the injuries have healed! Well done on those squats today Shawn.
Thanks buddy, yes I am feeling fairly healthy at the moment. The thoughts of injury are getting further out of my head as well, which I think is sometimes worse than getting an injury on its own.

Strong ass squats. Form held on 370 real well. Bench is looking great too
Thanks buddy. I will say that I was fairly happy with my form on that rep. I need to learn to grind a squat but keep my form together at the same time. Definite progress.

Moving some big numbers Shawn. Gotta love them singles and doubles.
Thanks Rich, doubles and singles are a welcome change. It's nice when you finally dump some fatigue and are able to display some of the strength you have built!
☻/
/ \

Online Andrew

« Reply #1447 on: January 15, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
Strong pulls at 500 Shawn. That trouble at lockout is most likely due to the back rounding at the start of the pull. The round back puts you in a position that is hard to recover from. This is the exact same issue I have and Iíve been working on correcting. Wish I could say itís an easy fix but itís hard to relearn to pull with a flat back. Iím struggling with it right now.

One thing I noticed that really illustrates the benefit of a flat back pull is rack pulls. Iíve noticed that I can set my back into a near perfect position when doing a mid shin rack pull, and I can lock out the pull way better because I never have to overcome the rounding. Now the ticket is to figure out how to get into that position with a full travel pull
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1448 on: January 15, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Tsa w8d3
Morning Weight: 191

Banded hip work
Hip circle
Hip flexor stretch
Baby makers

Squats:
Bar x 6 paused
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 1
315 x 1

Programs Sets:
345 x 3
345 x 3 vid
345 x 3 vid @9

Seated OHP:
Bar x 12
135 x 5
145 x 6
155 x 6
155 x 6 @8.5

Wide grip pull-ups paused:
8 @8

Dun:

Notes: I felt terrible today, squats were crazy tough when they shouldn't have been. Dug deep and got my reps but what a grind. Hopefully not getting sick....

☻/
/ \

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1449 on: January 15, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
Strong pulls at 500 Shawn. That trouble at lockout is most likely due to the back rounding at the start of the pull. The round back puts you in a position that is hard to recover from. This is the exact same issue I have and Iíve been working on correcting. Wish I could say itís an easy fix but itís hard to relearn to pull with a flat back. Iím struggling with it right now.

One thing I noticed that really illustrates the benefit of a flat back pull is rack pulls. Iíve noticed that I can set my back into a near perfect position when doing a mid shin rack pull, and I can lock out the pull way better because I never have to overcome the rounding. Now the ticket is to figure out how to get into that position with a full travel pull
Thanks buddy, yes that's exactly why my lockout is tough, I have known this for a long time. I also know to fix it, this will take a full rebuild of my deadlift basicallly starting from almost nothing on the bar. This close to the meet I am not willing to put in that time to be completely honest.
It will be in my future work for sure though, rack pulls and RDL's also might be a good accessory for that.
☻/
/ \

Online Andrew

« Reply #1450 on: January 15, 2018, 03:45:32 PM »
Thanks buddy, yes that's exactly why my lockout is tough, I have known this for a long time. I also know to fix it, this will take a full rebuild of my deadlift basicallly starting from almost nothing on the bar. This close to the meet I am not willing to put in that time to be completely honest.
It will be in my future work for sure though, rack pulls and RDL's also might be a good accessory for that.

I can relate, whats crazy is i'm having a hard time getting into the proper position even with 135lbs. I was frustrated after last week and got a few new cues to try from my coach. We'll see how it goes. All this fucking around with form and changing my set up has my confidence down and my E1RM taking a pretty big hit right now. However, on the positive side, If i can figure it out it will be good in the long run though and i'll be able to safely pull more.

Nice work on those squats, way to power through. Maybe your coming off your peak?

Regarding rack pulls and RDL's, I think they can give some insight into what a proper lockout is supposed to be like.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1451 on: January 15, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »

I can relate, whats crazy is i'm having a hard time getting into the proper position even with 135lbs. I was frustrated after last week and got a few new cues to try from my coach. We'll see how it goes. All this fucking around with form and changing my set up has my confidence down and my E1RM taking a pretty big hit right now. However, on the positive side, If i can figure it out it will be good in the long run though and i'll be able to safely pull more.

Nice work on those squats, way to power through. Maybe your coming off your peak?

Regarding rack pulls and RDL's, I think they can give some insight into what a proper lockout is supposed to be like.
I have been watching you closely buddy, I know for a fact that getting into that flat back position is extremely hard, if not feels impossible for me. I think it's really good you are working on it, and I may be leaning you to help me fix mine in the future.  It will probably be the one thing needed to get that 600lb pull.  I also know all my faults in my lifts, I analyze them to death, but have decided the risk/reward right now is going to have me carry on as I have for now. Who knows how many years I will compete yet. Just taking it one year at a time. I am going to really work on it this summer and see what happens.

Thanks on the squats, if I would have been doing RTS so would have stopped on the first set, it was hard and really slow. . I don't think i am coming off my peak, I actually feel pretty junky right now and think Ebola may be incoming lol. Going to be a great nightshift tonight FFS
☻/
/ \

Online reduni

« Reply #1452 on: January 15, 2018, 07:35:24 PM »
Nice work getting through with the beginnings of ebola. Strong pressing too. I don't seem to have a problem with lockout. If I can get it to my knees without snapping something I'm usually ok. I can't tell if my back is flat but I'm pretty sure it's not.
the only easy day was yesterday

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1453 on: January 15, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »
Nice work getting through with the beginnings of ebola. Strong pressing too. I don't seem to have a problem with lockout. If I can get it to my knees without snapping something I'm usually ok. I can't tell if my back is flat but I'm pretty sure it's not.
Thanks Rich, feeling pretty junky but made it here to work. Hopefully it's nothing to major. Ya my problem isn't lower back, but my upper back rounds over. I know lots of lifters pull like this safely so maybe it's not that big a deal. But, that being said, my starting position is what dictates the slow lockout, if I could hold a tight and flat upper back off the floor, my finish would be much easier.
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Blog
« Reply #1454 on: January 16, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »
I'm sorry to hear your feeling sick Shawn...hopefully it passes quickly.

I have been watching you closely buddy, I know for a fact that getting into that flat back position is extremely hard, if not feels impossible for me. I think it's really good you are working on it, and I may be leaning you to help me fix mine in the future.  It will probably be the one thing needed to get that 600lb pull.  I also know all my faults in my lifts, I analyze them to death, but have decided the risk/reward right now is going to have me carry on as I have for now. Who knows how many years I will compete yet. Just taking it one year at a time. I am going to really work on it this summer and see what happens.

I have been watching you and Andrew's exchange on here with a lot of interest.  Both of you guys are much stronger than me in deads and squats so I don't feel qualified to say too much...I've been watching more to try to learn from what you guys discover than anything.

<start unsolicited advice>
I did have one thing to offer though about finally taking the plunge and starting over with a lift and rebuilding from the ground up.  I basically went through the same things you guys are talking about now a few months ago with my debilitating back and hip pain.  I had to damn near stop doing deads for a while after my September Deadlift meet and temporarily switched over to sumos.  Then when I finally was able to resume conventionals I had to start really light and work my way back up.  In doing so I was able to fix a couple of big issues I had, the primary one being that I wasn't bracing my abs properly and the secondary that I wasn't loading my hammies properly.  Making those changes I was able to break through a barrier and now I'm back to making consistent gains without any pain.  All of this is to say that I would trust your gut.  If something feels wrong just trust yourself and take action before you wreck yourself.  I didn't do this and paid the price with an injury.  Hell, I'll probably make that same mistake again too, but at some point I hope to have the wisdom to listen to my body and avoid injuries. :D
</end unsolicited advice>
Everybody's always in such a rush all the time...I can't fake where I'm at...you're just where you're at. -Mark Bell

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/