Author Topic: Slowly building my own gym  (Read 13923 times)

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Slowly building my own gym
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2017, 10:56:06 AM »
Nice shoes.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline TMonkey

• Global Moderator
  • bje me.
    • Monkey Boards
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
Nice shoes.

you ever wear your pair
you want a I-S shirt.  They have sales all the time, get one then.
http://www.zazzle.com/222university*

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2017, 02:56:33 PM »
Nice shoes.

you ever wear your pair

Yep.  Wore them on Wednesday for my 5 plate squat.

Generally don't wear them until the bar starts bending.   ;)
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »
Lighting in my basement has always been just enough to see to keep from tripping over stuff.  I always wanted to upgrade the 3 pull-chain light sockets with something more useable.  I did replace on with a cheap 4' shoplight but it didn't do much.  I also deleted all the styrofoam shit on the ceiling.  Yes, it helped reduce noise from deadlifting going upstairs, but it looked like shit.  I hate electric work almost as much as plumbing.  Sure, I can't make as much of a mess if I mess it up, but I can zap the hell out of myself (I did get a little zap once today).  Wife is already complaining it's too bright over her cardio junk.

The before pictures were also taken while it was daytime and the sun was shining in the windows.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »
It's beautiful but I would seal in that pink fiberglass insulation ASAP, like tomorrow if not sooner. It's not meant for habitable spaces as you can breathe in the nasty fibers.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2017, 12:28:20 AM »
It's beautiful but I would seal in that pink fiberglass insulation ASAP, like tomorrow if not sooner. It's not meant for habitable spaces as you can breathe in the nasty fibers.

Good idea.  Most of the basement except for that section has had exposed fiber since we moved in.  That section only had the styrofoam up because the previous owner's son was in a band and they practiced down there in that space.  Evenutally I'm going to drywall the ceiling, but in the meantime I'll toss up some plastic sheeting.  Know anyone selling a drywall jack?  :D

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2017, 12:46:37 AM »
Know anyone selling a drywall jack?  :D

Nope, but I know of a good drywall jack hustle  ;)

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »

Good idea.  Most of the basement except for that section has had exposed fiber since we moved in.  That section only had the styrofoam up because the previous owner's son was in a band and they practiced down there in that space.  Evenutally I'm going to drywall the ceiling, but in the meantime I'll toss up some plastic sheeting.  Know anyone selling a drywall jack?  :D

^^^oh yeah. That loose fiberglass stuff is bad, bad, bad to breath in!
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online Greg

• Striving to survive
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 226
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »

^^^oh yeah. That loose fiberglass stuff is bad, bad, bad to breath in!

Nah, its not like it used to be when the shit actually had asbestos in it. The newer crap is just itchy & some of the really new fiberglass even got away from that aspect.

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
Now it looks like I'm about ready to do a  mob hit and quickly clean up the body and evidence.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »
Aint pretty and doesn't have to be, but glad you sealed that stuff up.

DIEL?

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »
Fiberglass is not a big deal.   As long as you are not stirring it up...  Even then, it is not going to cause cancer or anything.   Maybe some mild irritation even if you install it every day.   (Remember there are people who hand this stuff for a living every day and there is really no OSHA reg besides a paper mask if you desire).

The foam however scares me.   It is a fire hazard.   Foam has a crazy fast flame spread rate and should not be left exposed.   Fiberglass is OK to leave exposed.

Not the end of the world, but no one predicts a fire.   If somehow and electrical fire got started that foam would turn something that would be snuffed out, into a inferno!  Fire scares me....

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:04 PM »
OK....one other possible danger.   This is one of those......"possible" issues.

The plastic you put up is a vapor barrier.   It is not where you would want it located in an ideal situation.   I am assuming the basement is not conditioned space.    Therefore you have a conditioned space above and unconditioned below.   In between you have a temperature differential.   Depending upon season there between the two spaces you will pass through dew point.  (meaning water will condense).   

In the application as you have it, the condensation will happen inside the fiberglass bats.  (the worst place you can have it).   You are giving the moisture something to condense to easily and the plastic traps it in so it cant dissipate.   The conditioned air above can heavily moisture laden. (depending on cooking, showering....etc).   It can also be climate dependent and seasonal.

Long story short, it might never be an issue, BUT if it is one, you will find out in the worst way over time and mold will take hold.   Not something anyone wants.

It is why the vapor barrier goes next to living space.   Think a stud framed wall with insulation.  Vapor barrier goes against studs right under drywall NOT on outside of wall.   

Another example of this was the EFIS (synthetic stucco) class actions of the 90's where you had houses rotting and major mold problems.   Moisture was trapped by exterior non-permeable insulation and condensing in wall insulation.

Just some food for thought.   And depending on climate, and entire home envelope, it may or not be an issue.   Just something to be aware of. 

[EDIT] If you do drywall, I would pull down vapor barrier if you are not going to condition basement.

Something else.   I dont know if you by chance have hardwood floors installed above that ceiling.  If you do, I would not chance it and pull down the plastic.  Even small amounts of trapped moisture will ruin the floors.   Even moisture you cant see or feel.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:31:37 PM by induced_drag »

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
The foam is long gone.  I did read about the vapor barrier issue and it did concern me, so I poked a bunch of holes in the plastic with a nail to allow air in and out.  Not sure if that'll be good enough but I can't imagine it being worse than not.  There is heat in the basement on two sides as well as a return vent so it stays warm down there unlike my last house where I needed to warm up in sweats.  I'm hoping both the holes and the air prevent moisture, but I'll keep an eye out.  I turned the humidifier off for the winter since the air is a lot dryer.

Once my wife gets back to work, I want to drywall the basement ceiling and frame out some walls.  Not so concerned about drywall on the walls right away, but the framing would need to be done prior to the ceiling I think.  When I do, all the fiberglass is getting replaced with Roxul.

No hardwood on the side I put up the plastic.  Just carpet or tile.  There is bamboo flooring on the opposite side of the basement that is only storage.  I didn't bother with that side.

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2018, 04:03:39 PM »
Looks good.   No need to worry if you are heating it.   Temp dew point spread will not occur in that cavity.   No need to turn off humidifier.  Good in winter for sure as the air dries out so much.  (cold air outside holds a lot less moisture...which eventually ends up inside).    Not like summer where you are pulling tons of moisture out the air.

Looks great,   Nice project for sure.