Author Topic: Functional scoliosis  (Read 159 times)

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
Functional scoliosis
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:49:33 AM »
Alrighty, I figured I'd post this here.  I had never heard of functional scoliosis before last Saturday.  I'm curious if anyone else is familiar with this, or dealt with it?  It is basically scoliosis that is NOT skeletal, but is caused by something else (like oh, say, muscles).  So for those of you who saw me put up this weird twisty squat PR last week:

I think I have a better reason for that twist, other than my hands being off center.  I had a chiro appointment shortly after that video was taken, and by golly I've got some issues.  My hamstring is super tight, it's shortening the length of my right leg and pulling my right hip down, which is curving my lower back.  As to how this started, it could be a lot of things, it's hard to say right now.  When it started... I honestly think about a year ago.  My deadlift started to feel "off" last May and my progress has run backwards on it ever since.  I've three times gotten the same injury on the left side of my lower back.  I've consistently had issues with one-sided muscle activation in my lower body.  My deads and squats have both felt randomly uneven.  It can be difficult for me to fully lock out a deadlift because my right knee doesn't want to straighten out under load completely (tight right hamstring fail).  I am currently kicking myself in the head repeatedly for not getting myself looked at by a doc LAST YEAR.

So I'll get chiro help when I can, but I'm also working on awareness of being even (including videoing from in front or behind), incorporating more unilateral work, and really picking up stretching and mobility work.  It's reversible, but I gather it's been this way for a while and it's going to take a while to resolve.  Right, so... Utica could be interesting in five weeks.   :o

It's difficult to take photos of your own lower back, so I took a video and snagged this still frame off it.

My apologies for butt view, by the way.  Here are a couple of screen shots from squats yesterday.  Love how the bar is crooked at the top while my hips are straight, and bar is straight at the bottom while my hips are crooked.  Also, I may just post these images on the fridge next time I wonder if I should be dieting  :( 

The video is a couple of sets @ 185 from yesterday.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you've got a lot of weird, random stuff going on with your body or your training, maybe you should have an expert look at it to make sure there isn't a physical reason for it.  I've spent a lot of time thinking I was making crappy programming choices, especially with my deadlift.  Well, maybe I was, but obviously there was some other stuff going on, too.  Are we having fun yet????   ::) 

-sorry, edited to shrink the size of the photos
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:02:37 PM by itsagoodday »

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 178
Re: Functional scoliosis
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
Wow I can definitely see what you're talking about from the photo. Never dealt with this and never want to.

Are you consistently doing something with one side of your body that you're not doing with the other?
cash me on the platform, how bow dah?

"Everyday you rest I get stronger"
-Krohdaddi
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129376541&p=584228943&viewfull=1#post584228943

Offline itsagoodday

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »
Wow I can definitely see what you're talking about from the photo. Never dealt with this and never want to.

Are you consistently doing something with one side of your body that you're not doing with the other?

Not that I'm aware of!  I will say that I have always been extremely hamstring dominant, and have always had issues with my right hamstring trying to get stronger than my left.  Mostly I've just done one-leg hamstring curls to keep the right from getting too far ahead of the left, and I *thought* that had been working for a number of years.  Maybe not???

Chiro also did say it could stem from something simple, like one leg being longer than the other.  I have no idea if my legs are the same length or not.  But if they were, I'm not sure why that only would have been an issue in the last year, when I've been lifting for 5+ years.  There are a lot of possibilities.  I'm very confused.   :(

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
So what is the prognosis?

My apologies for butt view, by the way.

No woman need ever apologize for this.  :D
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »

Prognosis Negative

:D

Bet Kelly wasn't expecting a Seinfeld reference ITT

-Krohdaddi
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129376541&p=584228943&viewfull=1#post584228943

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 05:30:15 PM »
Thanks Craig.   ::)

:P
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Join the Ranks!  http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/yearly-rankings

Offline itsagoodday

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 05:44:37 PM »
^^ LOL Bando  ;D

Fatal.  Nah.  Should be 100% reversible, since it isn't the spine itself that is curved.  If I lay down, and my muscles relax, the spine goes completely straight again.  Chiro wants me to focus on a lot of hamstring stretching, also working on continuing to build up strength in the area.  I'm kinda veering into doing a lot of unilateral work as well, which she didn't necessarily recommend, purely because I know I've had left/right strength imbalance issues with my hamstrings previously.  I have no idea of the time frame though, but I expect it will take a while.  Saturday the chiro worked on my right hamstring, Monday I stretched it, by Wednesday I was talking to a friend about it and he poked a finger in my hamstrings and almost broke his finger off because it was a block of wood.  LOL.  That hamstring is not going to give up easily, and until it does, I'll be making crooked butt videos.   ::)

My apologies for butt view, by the way.
No woman need ever apologize for this.  :D

Well as long as I'm the only person traumatized by looking at my own ass lol.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 05:47:18 PM »
Good thing about it being a hamstring issue is that is just about the easiest thing to stretch.

-Krohdaddi

Offline itsagoodday

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
Good thing about it being a hamstring issue is that is just about the easiest thing to stretch.

Well, that's true.  If it were some weird interconnecting tissue between two ribs or something, I wouldn't even know how to stretch it lol.